* Gnus appends newlines to mails fetched from spool
@ 2000-10-11  7:50 Matthias Wiehl
From: Matthias Wiehl @ 2000-10-11  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have Gnus fetching my incoming mail from /var/mail/$USER and
splitting it up into a couple of folders.  Everything works fine, but
I noticed that Gnus appends a newline to every mail it fetches, and
increases the value of the "Lines:" header by one.

The relevant parts of my ~/.gnus.el look like this:

,----
| (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnfolder "private")))
| (setq mail-sources '((file)))
| (setq nnfolder-directory "~/Mail")
| (setq nnmail-split-methods
|       '(("foo" "bar@baz\.com")
|         ; [...]
|         ("other" "")))
`----

Does anybody know how to avoid those newlines?  Thanks in advance!

* Re: Gnus appends newlines to mails fetched from spool
@ 2000-10-11 20:58 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-10-11 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 11 Oct 2000, Matthias Wiehl wrote:

> I have Gnus fetching my incoming mail from /var/mail/$USER and
> splitting it up into a couple of folders.  Everything works fine,
> but I noticed that Gnus appends a newline to every mail it fetches,
> and increases the value of the "Lines:" header by one.

Maybe those newlines come from the nnfolder file format?  The nnfolder
file format requires messages to start with a From_ line (a From_ line
is a line which starts with the 5 characters "From "), and to end with
an empty line.

Maybe Gnus is adding the extra line for the latter requirement?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Gnus appends newlines to mails fetched from spool
@ 2000-10-12  8:48   ` Matthias Wiehl
From: Matthias Wiehl @ 2000-10-12  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> The nnfolder file format requires messages to start with a From_ line
> (a From_ line is a line which starts with the 5 characters "From "),
> and to end with an empty line.

> Maybe Gnus is adding the extra line for the latter requirement?

Hm, but the messages in the mail spool do already end with an empty
line, so I don't think it's necessary to add another one.  Even if it
was, the empty line doesn't belong to the message body, I think, so
why does Gnus increase the Lines header's value?

BTW, I don't know if this is of importance, but if I remeber
correctly, I had the same problem when I was using the nnml backend.

Any suggestions?