* Updated nnrss.el back-end
@ 2003-03-16 21:50 Mark A. Hershberger
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2003-03-16 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've done a bit of work on the nnrss.el back-end and was wondering
if I could get some people here to give me feedback.

Changes:

 - Primitive XML Name-space support.  This means that RSS feeds
   like Kevin Burton's[1] can now be read in Gnus.

 - Implemented support for Mark Pilgrim's RSS Autodiscovery.[2]
   This means that if you want to read the RSS feed for
   example.com, all you have to do is hit "G R
   http://www.example.com/ RET" and nnrss.el will find and the
   feed listed on the site or (if you have loaded xml-rpc.el)
   look it up on syndic8.com.

 - Marked the message as HTML (by adding a Content-Type header)
   so that Gnus will render it as html if the user wants that.

 - Implemented the ability to save nnrss-group-alist so that any
   new feeds the you subscribe to will be found the next time you
   start up.

 - Implemented support for RSS 2.0 elements (author, pubDate).

 - Prefer for <content:encoded> over <description> where both
   elements exist.

Since I'm new to the ding mailing list, I'll refrain from posting
the code here.  Instead, please contact me if you would like to
try out this code.  I'll submit it for inclusion in Gnus later.

Mark.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.peerfear.org/index.rss

[2]  http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/05/30/rss_autodiscovery.html

--
You are a mystery as deep as the sea; the more I search, the more
I find, and the more I find the more I search for you.

* Re: Updated nnrss.el back-end
@ 2003-03-17  2:27 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2003-03-17  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

mah@everybody.org (Mark A. Hershberger) writes:

> I've done a bit of work on the nnrss.el back-end and was wondering
> if I could get some people here to give me feedback.

It sounds cool.  You may just post the patch to bugs@gnus.org. And you
are required to sign the FSF copyright assignment, if you'd like to
install your update into the Gnus CVS repository.

ShengHuo

* Re: Updated nnrss.el back-end
@ 2003-03-17  4:50   ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2003-03-17  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> And you
> are required to sign the FSF copyright assignment, if you'd like to
> install your update into the Gnus CVS repository.

Already done.

Mark.

--

@ 2003-04-11 18:11 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-11 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, mah@everybody.org wrote:
> I've done a bit of work on the nnrss.el back-end and was wondering
> if I could get some people here to give me feedback.

I don't know if it's RSS or w3m, but loading the attached message into
a message buffer and then hitting TAB (widget-forward) locks up Gnus
and I have to hit C-g a few times to break.

Also, moving to the link with the arrows triggers the same behavior -
here, Up (w3m-previous-anchor) will lock up Gnus as well.

I've only noticed this in nnrss backends, though I see HTML links in
other messages and move to them without problems.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or my misconfiguration of Gnus, so I
didn't report this as a bug.

Thanks
Ted

* nnrss/w3m bug? (was: Updated nnrss.el back-end)
@ 2003-04-11 18:12 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-11 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, mah@everybody.org wrote:
> I've done a bit of work on the nnrss.el back-end and was wondering
> if I could get some people here to give me feedback.

I don't know if it's RSS or w3m, but loading the attached message into
a message buffer and then hitting TAB (widget-forward) locks up Gnus
and I have to hit C-g a few times to break.

Also, moving to the link with the arrows triggers the same behavior -
here, Up (w3m-previous-anchor) will lock up Gnus as well.

I've only noticed this in nnrss backends, though I see HTML links in
other messages and move to them without problems.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or my misconfiguration of Gnus, so I
didn't report this as a bug yet.

Sorry about the duplicate, I hit the wrong key by mistake and sent off
a semi-finished message.  This one has the bad message attached.

Thanks
Ted

[-- Attachment #2: nnrssbug.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 697 bytes --]

Newsgroups: Linux Today
Subject: developerWorks: Metaclass Programming in Python
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:42:16 -0400

"Most readers are already familiar with the concepts of
object-oriented programming: inheritance, encapsulation,
polymorphism. But the creation of objects of a given class, with
certain parents, is usually thought of as a 'just so' operation. It
turns out that a number of new programming constructs become either
easier, or possible at all, when you can customize the process of
object creation..."

* Re: nnrss/w3m bug?
@ 2003-04-11 18:29   ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2003-04-11 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ted Zlatanov

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I don't know if it's RSS or w3m, but loading the attached message into
> a message buffer and then hitting TAB (widget-forward) locks up Gnus
> and I have to hit C-g a few times to break.

I've noticed something similar -- that TAB doesn't take you
through to the links if the point is in the header (or non-w3m)
region of the buffer.  If it is in the body of the message it
seems to work.

Changing mm-text-html-renderer to something else (w3, for
example) makes the problem go away.

Mark.

--

@ 2003-04-11 19:39     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-11 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, mah@everybody.org wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> I don't know if it's RSS or w3m, but loading the attached message
>> into a message buffer and then hitting TAB (widget-forward) locks
>> up Gnus and I have to hit C-g a few times to break.
>
> I've noticed something similar -- that TAB doesn't take you
> through to the links if the point is in the header (or non-w3m)
> region of the buffer.  If it is in the body of the message it
> seems to work.
>
> Changing mm-text-html-renderer to something else (w3, for
> example) makes the problem go away.

Have you observed the problem outside nnrss?  I haven't, I was
thinking that maybe the way nnrss forms messages may be the problem.
They are not well-formed HTML, even though their content-type is
marked as text/html.

Switching to w3 or another renderer would be painful, I'm very
attached to w3m :)

Ted

* Re: nnrss/w3m bug?
@ 2003-04-14  1:48       ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2003-04-14  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Have you observed the problem outside nnrss?  I haven't, I was
> thinking that maybe the way nnrss forms messages may be the problem.
> They are not well-formed HTML, even though their content-type is
> marked as text/html.

You may well be right.