* selective (gnus-group-get-new-news t) -- possible?
@ 2003-02-05  9:09 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-02-05  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got two select methods: one IMAP server and one NNTP server.  New
articles do not show up in the IMAP groups unless I use
(gnus-group-get-new-news t).  However, the NNTP server does not have
this problem.  I'd like not to have to read 300K of active file over a
cross-country link every time I hit 'g'.  Is there any way to get the
effect of the 't' argument for just the IMAP server?

(Or, alternatively, anyone care to help me find what's wrong with
nnimap.el that it needs this?)

This is with today's CVS, by the way.

zw

* Re: selective (gnus-group-get-new-news t) -- possible?
@ 2003-02-07 12:36 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-07 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

> I've got two select methods: one IMAP server and one NNTP server.  New
> articles do not show up in the IMAP groups unless I use
> (gnus-group-get-new-news t).  However, the NNTP server does not have
> this problem.  I'd like not to have to read 300K of active file over a
> cross-country link every time I hit 'g'.  Is there any way to get the
> effect of the 't' argument for just the IMAP server?

Use group levels -- put all the nntp groups on a level that `g' won't
activate automatically.

* Re: selective (gnus-group-get-new-news t) -- possible?
@ 2003-02-11  8:43   ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-02-11  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:
>
>> I've got two select methods: one IMAP server and one NNTP server.  New
>> articles do not show up in the IMAP groups unless I use
>> (gnus-group-get-new-news t).  However, the NNTP server does not have
>> this problem.  I'd like not to have to read 300K of active file over a
>> cross-country link every time I hit 'g'.  Is there any way to get the
>> effect of the 't' argument for just the IMAP server?
>
> Use group levels -- put all the nntp groups on a level that `g' won't
> activate automatically.

Doesn't work.  From the documentation:

  (gnus-group-get-new-news &optional ARG)

  ... If ARG is non-nil and not a number, this will force "hard"
  re-reading of the active files from all servers.

The "hard" rereading effect does not happen with a numeric argument
(or using the default activation level).  I need the "hard" rereading
effect applied to the IMAP server, or no new articles show up in those
groups.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-22 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

> The "hard" rereading effect does not happen with a numeric argument
> (or using the default activation level).  I need the "hard" rereading
> effect applied to the IMAP server, or no new articles show up in those
> groups.

Ok, you want `gnus-request-list' run on nnimap, but not on the other
methods.  Hm...  Is that a bug in nnimap, the IMAP server or in Gnus,
I wonder?  I mean, the `some' or nil method for
`gnus-read-active-file' should also work, shouldn't they?

* Re: selective (gnus-group-get-new-news t) -- possible?
@ 2003-02-23  6:40       ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-02-23  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:
>
>> The "hard" rereading effect does not happen with a numeric argument
>> (or using the default activation level).  I need the "hard" rereading
>> effect applied to the IMAP server, or no new articles show up in those
>> groups.
>
> Ok, you want `gnus-request-list' run on nnimap, but not on the other
> methods.  Hm...  Is that a bug in nnimap, the IMAP server or in Gnus,
> I wonder?  I mean, the `some' or nil method for
> `gnus-read-active-file' should also work, shouldn't they?

I have gnus-read-active-file set to 'some'.  This works fine for the
NNTP server but not for the IMAP server.

There is undoubtedly a bug somewhere; given that one of my co-workers
is using an older version of Gnus with the same IMAP server
installation and does not have the same problem, I'm inclined to
suspect a client-side issue.

I posted imap-log traces awhile back, but I do not see them anywhere
in the archives.

zw