* Debugging split errors
@ 2019-07-12 21:14 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2019-07-12 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I think I may have mentioned issues with splitting once before. I
recently created a new group and setup several nnmail-split-fancy
rules for it:

  (setq nnmail-split-fancy
    …
             (from "Confluence-Admin@.*acmecorp\\.com" "acmecorp.noreply")
             (from "noreply@acmecorp\\.com" "acmecorp.noreply")
             (from "donotreply-jenkins@acmecorp\\.com" "acmecorp.noreply")
             (from "donotreply@acmecorp\\.com" "acmecorp.noreply")
             (from "bugtrack@acmecorp\\.com" "acmecorp.noreply")
     …)

Those are the *only* rules for that group. And yet several times a
week, perhaps a day, messages get misfiled in that group. When I go
to the misfiled message and ask where this message would be filed (“B
q”), I get back the answers I expect.

Are there any debugging or trace flags I can turn on to get some
feedback about what happened? Are there any caches I should blow away
to see if that fixes the problem? It’s more than inconvenient because
I’ve failed to notice a couple of messages from my boss
(unsurprisingly, I’m not in the habit of reading this group!).

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Simplicity is always a virtue.--Edward
http://nwalsh.com/            | Abbey

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Debugging split errors
@ 2019-07-13 13:13 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-07-13 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> Are there any debugging or trace flags I can turn on to get some
> feedback about what happened?

There aren't really, unfortunately...  You can set
`nnmail-split-tracing' and that'll put stuff in `nnmail-split-trace, but
that's not really that easy to deal with...

Hm...  I think having a real trace log on the splitting would be
generally useful, so I think I'll just add that.

* Re: Debugging split errors
@ 2019-07-13 13:24   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-07-13 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: ding

> Hm...  I think having a real trace log on the splitting would be
> generally useful, so I think I'll just add that.

I've now done so on the Emacs trunk:

(setq nnmail-debug-splitting t)

* Re: Debugging split errors
@ 2019-07-13 17:15     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2019-07-13 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Saturday, 13 Jul 2019 at 15:24, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> (setq nnmail-debug-splitting t)

Thanks.  This will be useful.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.2.4 on Debian 10.0