* registry seems to be saved for 27.0.50 any longer/Gnorb
@ 2018-04-26 12:52 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-04-26 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen

Hi

I am using GNU emacs 27.0.50 compiled from master (from january) and the
relevant gnus version.

I just realised that when I set a registry like
gnus-registry-set-article-To-Do-mark
the registry is set, when quiting gnus it seems that it is saved but
when I reopen the group the registry is gone.

I am using the nnimap backend and my university migrated to a gmail
server, (if that is relevant I don't know.)

My setting is
(gnus-registry-initialize)

(defalias 'gnus-user-format-function-M 'gnus-registry-article-marks-to-names)

(setq
 gnus-registry-split-strategy 'majority

 gnus-registry-max-entries 500000
 ;; this is the default
 gnus-registry-track-extra '(sender subject))

Does anybody suffer the same behavior?

Any gnorb user? (because now gnorb loses more than 50 % of its features,
at least form me)

Uwe Brauer

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: registry seems to be saved for 27.0.50 any longer/Gnorb
@ 2018-04-26 13:28 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2018-04-26 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Does anybody suffer the same behavior?

Yes, I had suffered the same.

The Gnorb registry was horribly broken at that time.  It has now been
fixed, so you need to upgrade.  You probably also need to fix your Gnus
registry.  How that can be done should have been posted to this Group
(or emacs-dev).  Or wait until Eric tells more details.

Michael.

* Re: registry seems to be saved for 27.0.50 any longer/Gnorb
@ 2018-04-26 15:09   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-04-26 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "Michael" == Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> Does anybody suffer the same behavior?

   > Yes, I had suffered the same.

   > The Gnorb registry was horribly broken at that time. It has now
   > been fixed, so you need to upgrade. You probably also need to fix
   > your Gnus registry. How that can be done should have been posted to
   > this Group (or emacs-dev). Or wait until Eric tells more details.

Thanks for confirming! I just realised that Eric indeed send me two
functions, which seem to fix the problem.

I have to call gnus-registry-fixit everytime after I restart gnus, maybe
I should put it in some hook but it is not clear to me into which.

I upgraded (this time successfully to gnorb 1.4.X).

So everything looks ok now, but I think the registry should be fixed
also by Lars/or the GNU emacs maintainers.

Thanks Eric for providing this fix.

Uwe

(defun gnus-registry-strip-quotes (lst)
  (let (acc)
    (when (consp lst)
      (while (eq (car lst) 'quote)
	(setq lst (cadr lst)))
      (while (consp lst)
	(if (eq (car lst) 'quote)
	    (setq lst (cadr lst))
	  (push (gnus-registry-strip-quotes (car lst)) acc)
	  (setq lst (cdr lst)))))
    (nconc (nreverse (delete-dups acc))
	   lst)))

(defun gnus-registry-fixit ()
  "Fix Gnus registry after eieio-persistent patches.
For use with Emacs master branch, after installing 0afb43eeb, or
the 26 branch, after daa9e853bd."
  (interactive)
  (unless (gnus-alive-p)
    (gnus))
  (when gnus-registry-enabled
    (with-slots (tracker data) gnus-registry-db
      (maphash
       (lambda (track-sym hsh)
	 (maphash
	  (lambda (k v)
	    (setf (gethash k hsh)
		  (gnus-registry-strip-quotes v)))
	  hsh))
       tracker)
      (maphash
       (lambda (k v)
	 (setf (gethash k data) (gnus-registry-strip-quotes v)))
       data))))

@ 2018-04-26 15:15   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-04-26 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "Michael" == Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> Does anybody suffer the same behavior?

   > Yes, I had suffered the same.

   > The Gnorb registry was horribly broken at that time. It has now
   > been fixed, so you need to upgrade. You probably also need to fix
   > your Gnus registry. How that can be done should have been posted to
   > this Group (or emacs-dev). Or wait until Eric tells more details.

I just found Eric's message from a month ago where he describes the
problem the fix is, besides using his function, pull and recompile
emacs, which I am doing right now.

@ 2018-04-26 15:18     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2018-04-26 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> So everything looks ok now, but I think the registry should be fixed
> also by Lars/or the GNU emacs maintainers.

It is fixed AFAICT in master (at least it should be, and is for me).
But you need to upgrade Emacs.  Note that the necessary changes were in
eieio, so updating only some gnus libraries is not enough (dunno what
exactly you tried, maybe elaborate).  `gnus-registry-fixit' should only
be needed to be called once.

Michael.

* Re: registry seems to be saved for 27.0.50 any longer/Gnorb
@ 2018-04-26 15:55       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-04-26 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "Michael" == Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> So everything looks ok now, but I think the registry should be fixed
   >> also by Lars/or the GNU emacs maintainers.

   > It is fixed AFAICT in master (at least it should be, and is for
   > me). But you need to upgrade Emacs. Note that the necessary changes
   > were in eieio, so updating only some gnus libraries is not enough
   > (dunno what exactly you tried, maybe elaborate).
   > `gnus-registry-fixit' should only be needed to be called once.

Right after pulling from master recompiling the whole beast, everything
is now fine, the fixit function I called only once in the new GNU emacs
versión, but in the buggy one I had to call it everytime I started gnus.

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* [change the default registry names] (was: registry seems to be saved for 27.0.50 any longer/Gnorb)
@ 2018-04-26 16:35       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-04-26 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "Michael" == Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> So everything looks ok now, but I think the registry should be fixed
   >> also by Lars/or the GNU emacs maintainers.

   > It is fixed AFAICT in master (at least it should be, and is for me).
   > But you need to upgrade Emacs.  Note that the necessary changes were in
   > eieio, so updating only some gnus libraries is not enough (dunno what
   > exactly you tried, maybe elaborate).  `gnus-registry-fixit' should only
   > be needed to be called once.

Besides gnorb I also use the registry to add the labels Todo Important
etc, however I find the original names to long, and the chars to short,
so I have
(defalias 'gnus-user-format-function-M
'gnus-registry-article-marks-to-names)

And I tried

(setq gnus-registry-marks nil)

(defvar  gnus-registry-marks
  '((Imp
     :char ?i
     :image "summary_important")
    (Wrk
     :char ?w
     :image "summary_work")
    (Pers
     :char ?p
     :image "summary_personal")
    (To-Do
     :char ?t
     :image "summary_todo")
    (Later
     :char ?l
     :image "summary_later"))

  "List of registry marks and their options.

`gnus-registry-mark-article' will offer symbols from this list
for completion.

Each entry must have a character to be useful for summary mode
line display and for keyboard shortcuts.

Each entry must have an image string to be useful for visual
display.")

But it does not work my setting is not taken. Did anybody try to
configure the names for the gnus registry?

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [change the default registry names]
@ 2018-04-26 18:46         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-04-26 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>    >> So everything looks ok now, but I think the registry should be fixed
>    >> also by Lars/or the GNU emacs maintainers.
>
>    > It is fixed AFAICT in master (at least it should be, and is for me).
>    > But you need to upgrade Emacs.  Note that the necessary changes were in
>    > eieio, so updating only some gnus libraries is not enough (dunno what
>    > exactly you tried, maybe elaborate).  `gnus-registry-fixit' should only
>    > be needed to be called once.
>
> Besides gnorb I also use the registry to add the labels Todo Important
> etc, however I find the original names to long, and the chars to short,
> so I have
> (defalias 'gnus-user-format-function-M
> 'gnus-registry-article-marks-to-names)
>
> And I tried
>
> (setq gnus-registry-marks nil)
>
> (defvar  gnus-registry-marks
>   '((Imp
>      :char ?i
>      :image "summary_important")
>     (Wrk
>      :char ?w
>      :image "summary_work")
>     (Pers
>      :char ?p
>      :image "summary_personal")
>     (To-Do
>      :char ?t
>      :image "summary_todo")
>     (Later
>      :char ?l
>      :image "summary_later"))
>
>   "List of registry marks and their options.
>
> `gnus-registry-mark-article' will offer symbols from this list
> for completion.
>
> Each entry must have a character to be useful for summary mode
> line display and for keyboard shortcuts.
>
> Each entry must have an image string to be useful for visual
> display.")
>
> But it does not work my setting is not taken. Did anybody try to
> configure the names for the gnus registry?

The manual mentions needing to restart Emacs (or at least Gnus), have
you tried that? And did you edit the value via the Customize interface?
That might be safer.

* Re: [change the default registry names]
@ 2018-04-26 19:19           ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2018-04-26 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> > (setq gnus-registry-marks nil)
> >
> > (defvar  gnus-registry-marks

Of course note that defvar on a bound var does nothing unless you
evaluate it with C-M-x, if that could be the reason...

Michael.

* Re: [change the default registry names]
@ 2018-04-26 19:30             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-04-26 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> > (setq gnus-registry-marks nil)
>> >
>> > (defvar  gnus-registry-marks
>
> Of course note that defvar on a bound var does nothing unless you
> evaluate it with C-M-x, if that could be the reason...

Yup, that looks likely -- another reason to use Customize...

* Re: [change the default registry names]
@ 2018-04-27  9:24           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-04-27  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > The manual mentions needing to restart Emacs (or at least Gnus), have
   > you tried that? And did you edit the value via the Customize interface?
   > That might be safer.

Unfortunately gnus-registry-marks cannot be customized! It is defined
via defvar.

I'll write Ted and ask him to change that.

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [change the default registry names]
@ 2018-04-27 16:59             ` Bob Newell
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Bob Newell @ 2018-04-27 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 11:24 PM, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Unfortunately gnus-registry-marks cannot be customized! It is defined
> via defvar.

It seems almost too obvious to state, and probably contrary to
accepted best practices ... but ... I never liked 'customize' for some
things, in fact many things. When possible I prefer to explicitly
override defvar default values with setq, after the relevant package
has been loaded. This keeps my customizations--- with copious in-line
comments--- in startup files which are easily synced between
computers.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Sent via Linux Mint 17.

* Re: [change the default registry names]
@ 2018-04-27 18:27               ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-04-27 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 11:24 PM, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately gnus-registry-marks cannot be customized! It is defined
>> via defvar.
>
> It seems almost too obvious to state, and probably contrary to
> accepted best practices ... but ... I never liked 'customize' for some
> things, in fact many things. When possible I prefer to explicitly
> override defvar default values with setq, after the relevant package
> has been loaded. This keeps my customizations--- with copious in-line
> comments--- in startup files which are easily synced between
> computers.

I don't much like customize itself either, but there are some tricky
situations that it handles quite well -- weird stuff with load-order. Re
syncing, you can always set a separate `custom-file' and keep that
somewhere special. You might even be able to comment it!

Eric

* Re: [change the default registry names]
@ 2018-05-07  8:05               ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-05-07  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "Bob" == Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 11:24 PM, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
>> Unfortunately gnus-registry-marks cannot be customized! It is defined
>> via defvar.

> It seems almost too obvious to state, and probably contrary to
> accepted best practices ... but ... I never liked 'customize' for some
> things, in fact many things. When possible I prefer to explicitly
> override defvar default values with setq, after the relevant package
> has been loaded. This keeps my customizations--- with copious in-line
> comments--- in startup files which are easily synced between
> computers.

Well I just tried

(setq gnus-registry-marks
  '((Imp
     :char ?i
     :image "summary_important")
    (Work
     :char ?w
     :image "summary_work")
    (DONE
     :char ?d
     :image "summary_personal")
    (TODO
     :char ?t
     :image "summary_todo")
    (Later
     :char ?l
     :image "summary_later")))

In my init file and it did not work!

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* [setq does not work] (was: [change the default registry names])
@ 2018-05-07  8:07               ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-05-07  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "Bob" == Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 11:24 PM, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:
>> Unfortunately gnus-registry-marks cannot be customized! It is defined
>> via defvar.

> It seems almost too obvious to state, and probably contrary to
> accepted best practices ... but ... I never liked 'customize' for some
> things, in fact many things. When possible I prefer to explicitly
> override defvar default values with setq, after the relevant package
> has been loaded. This keeps my customizations--- with copious in-line
> comments--- in startup files which are easily synced between
> computers.

Hi I tried

@ 2018-05-07 23:43                 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2018-05-07 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Well I just tried
>
> (setq gnus-registry-marks
>   '((Imp
>      :char ?i
>      :image "summary_important")
>     (Work
>      :char ?w
>      :image "summary_work")
>     (DONE
>      :char ?d
>      :image "summary_personal")
>     (TODO
>      :char ?t
>      :image "summary_todo")
>     (Later
>      :char ?l
>      :image "summary_later")))
>
> In my init file and it did not work!

Did you call gnus-registry-initialize before evaluating your setq? I
am not certain but I think this is necessary.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Sent via Linux Mint 17.

* Re: [change the default registry names]
@ 2018-05-10  8:11                   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-05-10  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Did you call gnus-registry-initialize before evaluating your setq? I
> am not certain but I think this is necessary.

I doubled check yes it is, and even if I do describe variable I obtain

,----
| gnus-registry-marks is a variable defined in ‘gnus-registry.el’.
| Its value is
| ((Imp :char 105 :image "summary_important")
|  (Work :char 119 :image "summary_work")
|  (DONE :char 100 :image "summary_personal")
|  (TODO :char 116 :image "summary_todo")
|  (Later :char 108 :image "summary_later"))
|
| Documentation:
| List of registry marks and their options.
|
| ‘gnus-registry-mark-article’ will offer symbols from this list
| for completion.
|
| Each entry must have a character to be useful for summary mode
| line display and for keyboard shortcuts.
|
| Each entry must have an image string to be useful for visual
| display.
`----

but when I insert a registry gnus uses the official one, that is TO-DO
instead of TODO etc.  I am puzzled.

So the only solution was to copy the gnus-registry in my personal emacs
directory and modify it to my needs. That worked!

@ 2018-05-10 12:38                     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2018-05-10 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> but when I insert a registry gnus uses the official one, that is TO-DO
> instead of TODO etc.  I am puzzled.

Looking at `gnus-registry-install-shortcuts' seems you must set the var
before calling `gnus-registry-initialize' (which calls the former).

Michael.

* Re: [change the default registry names]
@ 2018-05-11 17:22                       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-05-11 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "Michael" == Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>> but when I insert a registry gnus uses the official one, that is TO-DO
>> instead of TODO etc.  I am puzzled.

> Looking at `gnus-registry-install-shortcuts' seems you must set the var
> before calling `gnus-registry-initialize' (which calls the former).

Correct! Thanks a lot.

@ 2018-05-11 17:28                         ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2018-05-11 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Looking at `gnus-registry-install-shortcuts' seems you must set the var
>> before calling `gnus-registry-initialize' (which calls the former).
>
> Correct! Thanks a lot.

Wow! A bit counter-intuitive and the opposite of how it works most of
the time. But really good to know. Thanks Michael for pointing this
out. "Something new every day."

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i