* gnorb doesn't follow up on C-c t on new messages
@ 2018-10-01 16:05 Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2018-10-01 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello again,

now that C-c t works everytime on org headings, I tried it when
composing a new message with gnus.

If I understand correctly, gnorb should kick in after the message is
sent so I can link it to an org heading, and manipulate the hading
(change TODO state, add note,...)

In my case, I do see a message in the minibuffer when I C-c t:

A TODO will be made from this message after it’s sent

But then I send the message and nothing more happens.

There is no error, no warning, no gnorb message of any kind in the
*Messages* buffer. The message is sent and then nothing.

Thanks,
--
Rémi

* Re: gnorb doesn't follow up on C-c t on new messages
@ 2018-10-02 21:53 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-10-02 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rémi Letot <hobbes@poukram.net> writes:

> Hello again,
>
> now that C-c t works everytime on org headings, I tried it when
> composing a new message with gnus.
>
> If I understand correctly, gnorb should kick in after the message is
> sent so I can link it to an org heading, and manipulate the hading
> (change TODO state, add note,...)
>
> In my case, I do see a message in the minibuffer when I C-c t:
>
> A TODO will be made from this message after it’s sent
>
> But then I send the message and nothing more happens.
>
> There is no error, no warning, no gnorb message of any kind in the
> *Messages* buffer. The message is sent and then nothing.

Thanks for the further reports.

Can you check to see if the Org capture buffer is simply getting buried
during this process? Ie, is there a pending capture buffer hiding
somewhere in your buffer list?

If so, and if you hit "C-c C-c" in that buffer, to finalize the capture,
does it give you a "Selecting deleted buffer" error?

Hopefully both of those things are true, as I have fixes for both of
them!

Thanks again,
Eric

* Re: gnorb doesn't follow up on C-c t on new messages
@ 2018-10-02 23:34   ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2018-10-02 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Thanks for the further reports.

no problem, I want it to work :-)

> Can you check to see if the Org capture buffer is simply getting buried
> during this process? Ie, is there a pending capture buffer hiding
> somewhere in your buffer list?
>
> If so, and if you hit "C-c C-c" in that buffer, to finalize the capture,
> does it give you a "Selecting deleted buffer" error?
>
> Hopefully both of those things are true, as I have fixes for both of
> them!

alas, I don't have a buried Org capture buffer. The message is sent, and
nothing else happens. I restarted my emacs just to be sure, because I
tend to have lots of buffers after a while, but there is no capture
buffer.

Thanks,
--

@ 2018-10-02 23:48     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-10-02 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rémi Letot <hobbes@poukram.net> writes:

>> Thanks for the further reports.
>
> no problem, I want it to work :-)
>
>> Can you check to see if the Org capture buffer is simply getting buried
>> during this process? Ie, is there a pending capture buffer hiding
>> somewhere in your buffer list?
>>
>> If so, and if you hit "C-c C-c" in that buffer, to finalize the capture,
>> does it give you a "Selecting deleted buffer" error?
>>
>> Hopefully both of those things are true, as I have fixes for both of
>> them!
>
> alas, I don't have a buried Org capture buffer. The message is sent, and
> nothing else happens. I restarted my emacs just to be sure, because I
> tend to have lots of buffers after a while, but there is no capture
> buffer.

Well, that's unfortunate. It should very clearly call org-capture after
the message is sent. When you're composing the message, after you run
C-c t, can you check the value of `message-send-actions' and confirm
that it contains the symbol `gnorb-gnus-outgoing-make-todo-1'?

If that's in there, I don't know what else could be going wrong. If you
didn't have `gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key' set, you'd get an error.
Otherwise, there's nothing to stop you arriving at the call to
org-capture...

Can you show me the template that's pointed to by

@ 2018-10-09 10:31       ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2018-10-09 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your answer...

> Well, that's unfortunate. It should very clearly call org-capture after
> the message is sent. When you're composing the message, after you run
> C-c t, can you check the value of `message-send-actions' and confirm
> that it contains the symbol `gnorb-gnus-outgoing-make-todo-1'?

message-send-actions is a variable defined in ‘message.el’.
Its value is
((when
     (gnus-buffer-exists-p #1="*Group*")
   (with-current-buffer #1# nil))
 gnorb-gnus-outgoing-make-todo-1)
Local in buffer *unsent mail*; global value is nil

> If that's in there, I don't know what else could be going wrong. If you
> didn't have `gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key' set, you'd get an error.
> Otherwise, there's nothing to stop you arriving at the call to
> org-capture...

gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key was not set, but I didn't get an
error.

Now I have set it:

(setq gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key 't)

But I still don't get a todo when I send the mail.

> Can you show me the template that's pointed to by
> `gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key'?

("t" "todo" entry (file "~/org/refile.org")
                 "* TODO %?\n%U\n%a\n")

Thanks,
--

@ 2018-10-09 15:05         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-10-09 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rémi Letot <hobbes@poukram.net> writes:

> Sorry for the delay, I didn't see your answer...

>> Well, that's unfortunate. It should very clearly call org-capture after
>> the message is sent. When you're composing the message, after you run
>> C-c t, can you check the value of `message-send-actions' and confirm
>> that it contains the symbol `gnorb-gnus-outgoing-make-todo-1'?
>
> message-send-actions is a variable defined in ‘message.el’.
> Its value is
> ((when
>      (gnus-buffer-exists-p #1="*Group*")
>    (with-current-buffer #1# nil))
>  gnorb-gnus-outgoing-make-todo-1)
> Local in buffer *unsent mail*; global value is nil
>
>> If that's in there, I don't know what else could be going wrong. If you
>> didn't have `gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key' set, you'd get an error.
>> Otherwise, there's nothing to stop you arriving at the call to
>> org-capture...
>
> gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key was not set, but I didn't get an
> error.

Well that's weird, if it was nil the function should have blown up.

> Now I have set it:
>
> (setq gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key 't)

That should be the string "t", to match the key in your capture
templates.

* Re: gnorb doesn't follow up on C-c t on new messages
@ 2018-10-09 20:23           ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2018-10-09 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> If that's in there, I don't know what else could be going wrong. If you
>>> didn't have `gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key' set, you'd get an error.
>>> Otherwise, there's nothing to stop you arriving at the call to
>>> org-capture...
>>
>> gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key was not set, but I didn't get an
>> error.

I tried again, I don't have any error. Nothing in the minibuffer, and
nothing in *Messages*

> Well that's weird, if it was nil the function should have blown up.

No explosion to report :-)

>> Now I have set it:
>>
>> (setq gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key 't)
>
> That should be the string "t", to match the key in your capture
> templates.

AHA, now I do have a buried capture buffer that I can fill and file.

So if you have a fix pending for the fact that the buffer is buried,
I can live with that until the fix makes it to elpa.

Thanks a lot for that package and your help, don't hesitate to ask if
you need more information on my particular setup or any help to
reproduce «my» bugs.

Thanks,
--

@ 2018-10-09 21:23             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-10-09 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key was not set, but I didn't get an
>>> error.
>
> I tried again, I don't have any error. Nothing in the minibuffer, and
> nothing in *Messages*
>
>> Well that's weird, if it was nil the function should have blown up.
>
> No explosion to report :-)
>
>>> Now I have set it:
>>>
>>> (setq gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key 't)
>>
>> That should be the string "t", to match the key in your capture
>> templates.
>
> AHA, now I do have a buried capture buffer that I can fill and file.
>
> So if you have a fix pending for the fact that the buffer is buried,
> I can live with that until the fix makes it to elpa.

Yup, I see the same thing, and I'll push a fix for this in the next
couple of days.

> Thanks a lot for that package and your help, don't hesitate to ask if
> you need more information on my particular setup or any help to
> reproduce «my» bugs.

Once this is done, I think we will have fixed all your bugs! But please
do continue to report.

Thanks,
Eric