* [abstruse idea] nnjabber.el?
@ 2000-09-29 17:23 Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2000-09-29 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

this is just an idea (probably bad), but WIBNI there was jabber
(http://www.jabber.org/) support in gnus? One-to-one chats and the like
would surely not work (or require a major deal of hacking better
invested somewhere else), but the messaging stuff should be not-so-hard
to do at all.

Anyone interested? I must admit that I will most probably not be able to
implement it for lack of time, but if anyone is interested, I just
thought I should pass on the idea.

regards,
--
Andreas Stefan Fuchs                             in Real Life aka
asf@acm.org, asfuchs@gmx.at, asf@ycom.at         in NNTP and SMTP,

* Re: [abstruse idea] nnjabber.el?
@ 2000-09-29 18:03 ` Michael Poole
From: Michael Poole @ 2000-09-29 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

The mindset behind instant messaging (which is what Jabber supports)
and delayed messaging (which is what gnus supports) are very
different.  The operations available are basically disjoint; there's
not much point in writing one tool to handle both.

Having two tools (jabber.el and Gnus) that know how to talk to each
other and identify an individual (say, through bbdb, so you can send
email if someone isn't available for IM or check if the sender of an
email is available for IM) is a much better idea, but not one that's
very on-topic for this mailing list.

-- Michael

* Re: [abstruse idea] nnjabber.el?
@ 2000-09-30 18:31 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-09-30 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think there are a few packages out there which do ICQ -- maybe those
would be a good place to start?
kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: [abstruse idea] nnjabber.el?
@ 2000-10-01 15:21   ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2000-10-01 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2000-09-30, Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> wrote:
> I think there are a few packages out there which do ICQ -- maybe those
> would be a good place to start?

Yes, there are. I just thought that, as jabber is able to (or will be
able to?) transport mail also, it would be a reasonable addition to
gnus.

> kai

regards,