* Expire by moving
@ 2000-04-01 17:38 Arcady Genkin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-04-01 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I feel very reluctant to expire messages in my private mail
group. However, they accumulate very fast, and since I'm using IMAP as
a backend for that group, the group eventually gets a bit slow.

So I thought that it would be nice if gnus had a feature to expire
messages not by /deleting/ them, but by /moving/ them to some
arbitrary group. This way it would be possible to have the name of
such group assigned sensibly (like for expample I am dynamically
assigning group names to `gnus-message-archive-group').

Is configuring such behavior possible currently?

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

* Re: Expire by moving
@ 2000-04-01 19:28 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-01 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

This is currently not possible.  There is a variable
nnmail-delete-file-function which sometimes does not entirely the
wrong thing for nnml and nnmh, but the functionality you want is not
in nnimap.

Is there some other way to get what you want?  Why are you reluctant
to expire articles?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Expire by moving
@ 2000-04-02  7:44   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-04-02  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> Is there some other way to get what you want?  Why are you reluctant
> to expire articles?

Well, maybe setting up some sort of a cron job, perhaps. But then I
have no idea what kind of utility I would use to correctly extract
messages received before a certain date from an mbox file. Also,
such cron job would probably not be able to tell if a message is
ticked and should be kept in the meantime.

It's only the personal mail that I don't want to expire. I feel like I
can never know for sure when or if I would need some message in the
future.

In any case, the price of storage is so low nowadays, that one could
probably archive 10 years' worth of personal email traffic, and still
not pay $10 for that. ;^)
--

@ 2000-04-03  2:33 ` Andrew Hobson
From: Andrew Hobson @ 2000-04-03  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01 Apr 2000 12:38:26 -0500, Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> said:

> So I thought that it would be nice if gnus had a feature to expire
> messages not by /deleting/ them, but by /moving/ them to some
> arbitrary group. This way it would be possible to have the name of
> such group assigned sensibly (like for expample I am dynamically
> assigning group names to `gnus-message-archive-group').

I asked the same question a couple of months ago.  AFAIK, it isn't
possible.  So what I did was have all of my mail crossposted to two
groups: the archive group and the "usual" group.  I only expire the
"usual" group.

I'm not using IMAP, so I do something like:

(defun ahobson-incoming-group ()
  (format-time-string "incoming.mail.%Y-%m"))

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(&
        (: ahobson-incoming-group)
;; non crossposted mail groups
        (|
         ("from" "fred@bedrock.com" "guys")
         ("from" "wilma@bedrock.com" "gals"))))

(setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups
      "guys\\|gals")

Drew

* Re: Expire by moving
@ 2000-04-03  7:15 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-04-03  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> I feel very reluctant to expire messages in my private mail
> group. However, they accumulate very fast, and since I'm using IMAP as
> a backend for that group, the group eventually gets a bit slow.
>
> So I thought that it would be nice if gnus had a feature to expire
> messages not by /deleting/ them, but by /moving/ them to some
> arbitrary group.

That would rule.  When we were in Japan, Lars agreed that it would be
totally cool, and said he'd implement it.

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars!

* Re: Expire by moving
@ 2000-04-03  7:39     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-03  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> It's only the personal mail that I don't want to expire. I feel like I
> can never know for sure when or if I would need some message in the
> future.

I used to have a group where I needed this, too.  I just manually
moved old messages to the archive group.

But you're right, a feature too keep old articles without clobbering
the current group would be a useful thing to have.

kai
--

@ 2000-04-05  7:56     ` Alf-Ivar Holm
From: Alf-Ivar Holm @ 2000-04-05  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:
                                             ^

Hmmm, Kai's "double s", encoded in iso-8859-1 in the From field, was
not special handled in Arcady's reply, which was posted in koi8-r (and
therefore turned up as a cyrillic "hard sign").  Why did this happen?
Should the above line be in a iso-8859-1 part?

        Affi

* Re: Expire by moving
@ 2000-04-20  0:49   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:

> > So I thought that it would be nice if gnus had a feature to expire
> > messages not by /deleting/ them, but by /moving/ them to some
> > arbitrary group.
>
> That would rule.  When we were in Japan, Lars agreed that it would be
> totally cool, and said he'd implement it.
>
> Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars!

Er, so I did.

So, how should this be specified?  Moved to which group, etc?

* Re: Expire by moving
@ 2000-04-20  1:05     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2000-04-20  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Apr 2000, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:
>
>> > So I thought that it would be nice if gnus had a feature to expire
>> > messages not by /deleting/ them, but by /moving/ them to some
>> > arbitrary group.
>>
>> That would rule.  When we were in Japan, Lars agreed that it would be
>> totally cool, and said he'd implement it.
>>
>> Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars!
>
> Er, so I did.
>
> So, how should this be specified?  Moved to which group, etc?

I would like this as a feature. Easy archiving.

Er, something that let me map from a regexp for group to a destination
group by way of evaluating Lisp would be good. Then I could set:

(setq gnus-exprie-by-moving '(("linux.kernel"
'move-linux-kernel-to-a-new-archive-each-month)))

        Daniel

--
Never stop questioning -- curiosity has its own reason for existence.
        -- Albert Einstein

* Re: Expire by moving
@ 2000-04-20 11:23     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-04-20 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:
>
> > > So I thought that it would be nice if gnus had a feature to expire
> > > messages not by /deleting/ them, but by /moving/ them to some
> > > arbitrary group.
> >
> > That would rule.  When we were in Japan, Lars agreed that it would be
> > totally cool, and said he'd implement it.
> >
> > Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars!
>
> Er, so I did.
>
> So, how should this be specified?  Moved to which group, etc?

The existing `expire' stuff should remain untouched (types, periods,
etc.), all one should need to add is some sort of "target" of the
expiration.

The default expire-target target is simply `delete', while I can
imagine this addition would add a `move' target (`copy' wouldn't make
much sense).  For instance, you could use this as group parameters for
a "private" group where private mail lands:

((total-expire . t)
 (expiry-wait . 28)    ; keep a month old mails around
 (expiry-target . "nnfolder:really-old-private"))

The expiry-target parameter could also be a form that specifies the
group dynamically, so you can do the file-per-month trick described
under archive section.

* Re: Expire by moving
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:

> The default expire-target target is simply `delete', while I can
> imagine this addition would add a `move' target (`copy' wouldn't make
> much sense).  For instance, you could use this as group parameters for
> a "private" group where private mail lands:
>
> ((total-expire . t)
>  (expiry-wait . 28)    ; keep a month old mails around
>  (expiry-target . "nnfolder:really-old-private"))
>
> The expiry-target parameter could also be a form that specifies the
> group dynamically, so you can do the file-per-month trick described
> under archive section.

I've now done this (for nnml only) and checked it in.  If it does the
trick, then I'll implement this for all the other mail backends as
well.

* Re: Expire by moving
@ 2000-05-02  8:35     ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2000-05-02  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:
>
> > > So I thought that it would be nice if gnus had a feature to expire
> > > messages not by /deleting/ them, but by /moving/ them to some
> > > arbitrary group.
> >
> > That would rule.  When we were in Japan, Lars agreed that it would be
> > totally cool, and said he'd implement it.
> >
> > Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars!
>
> Er, so I did.

I remember seeing Lars' post that he implemented expiry by moving for
nnml. Has anyone tested it? All of my mail groups are on IMAP server,
so I can't test it. ;^(