* saving nnfolders
@ 2001-03-16 22:05 Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 2001-03-16 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have (finally :) succeeded in setting up the expired articles to be
moved to nnfolders. What I don't like with the way it works now is,
after this expiration process I end up with all those updated nnfolder
groups as changed (and unsaved) buffers in my XEmacs. I'd like to

1. Have nnfolders save themselves each time a message is added (disk
   access if fast; losing articles - or having to restore them from
   auto saves - is bad).

2. Have these nnfolder buffers delete themselves at some point
   auto-magically (or perhaps just have them delete themselves after
   each article is added, after saving).

Any ideas or pointers to the relevant places in the docs would be
appreciated. Thanks.

--
Cheers,
-Dima.

* Re: saving nnfolders
@ 2001-03-19 19:12 ` Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 2001-03-19 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry to followup to my own post - but... I wonder why nobody replied
- is it because I'm asking a completely stupid question and missing
something bloody obvious? The problem is (or at least seems) serious
enough to me (esp the non-saving of nnfolders - if my emacs crashes -
which happens - I will get asked about restoring the "dribble" buffer
but I have no idea how if at all I'll get asked about the nnfolder
autosaved buffers - will I?), and I'm tempted to try and hack
something up myself to fix that - but before I do - maybe I'm missing
something? Gnus gurus, what do you say? Thx.

--
Cheers,
-Dima.

* Re: saving nnfolders
@ 2001-03-19 19:35 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2001-03-19 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com> writes:

> 1. Have nnfolders save themselves each time a message is added (disk
>    access if fast; losing articles - or having to restore them from
>    auto saves - is bad).

This is doubleplus-unfast if you're gzipping 30MB nnfolders, and
you're copying a few hundred messages into them at a time.  (My former
usage pattern... now I don't gzip, but saving a 30MB file 150 times
in a row is not fast by any stretch of the imagination.)

In any case, there's no predefined functionality.  A patch was posted
a few weeks ago to save every article move, but nothing to have the
buffers delete.

He who has a shady past knows that nice guys finish last.

* Re: saving nnfolders
@ 2001-03-19 23:46   ` Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 2001-03-19 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> wrote:

> Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com> writes:
>
> > 1. Have nnfolders save themselves each time a message is added (disk
> >    access if fast; losing articles - or having to restore them from
> >    auto saves - is bad).
>
> This is doubleplus-unfast if you're gzipping 30MB nnfolders, and
> you're copying a few hundred messages into them at a time.  (My former
> usage pattern... now I don't gzip, but saving a 30MB file 150 times
> in a row is not fast by any stretch of the imagination.)

I won't be usually be copying a few hundred messages at a time - I use
nnfolders to "expire" old messages to - so usually it won't be more
than I sent/received per day expiration time days ago - maybe ten or
so messages at max. So the speed does not bother me much.

> In any case, there's no predefined functionality.  A patch was posted
> a few weeks ago to save every article move, but nothing to have the
> buffers delete.

Can you point me to the patch (or any key words that I should search
for)? I tried looking for something like that but didn't find
anything. Thx.

--
Cheers,
-Dima.