* message-dont-send in queue folder not in draft folder
@ 2023-12-13 13:09 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-12-13 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

If I have gnus plugged in and I am connected to the Internet,
message-dont-send saves the message in my  nndraft:drafts

If, however, gnus is not plugged in (agent on) then
message-dont-send again saves in that folder but
message-send-and-exit saves the buffer to the queue folder.

Is there any possibility tell message-send-and-exit (with an argument)
not to save it in the draft folder but in the queue folder?

  (nndraft-request-associate-buffer "queue")

Might be a possibility but are there other ones?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous atrocities on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.

* Re: message-dont-send in queue folder not in draft folder
@ 2023-12-13 15:46 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-12-13 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "UB" == Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
> If I have gnus plugged in and I am connected to the Internet,
> message-dont-send saves the message in my  nndraft:drafts

> If, however, gnus is not plugged in (agent on) then
> message-dont-send again saves in that folder but
> message-send-and-exit saves the buffer to the queue folder.

> Is there any possibility tell message-send-and-exit (with an argument)
> not to save it in the draft folder but in the queue folder?

>   (nndraft-request-associate-buffer "queue")

> Might be a possibility but are there other ones?

It seems one solution would be
to change the setting of gnus-agent-queue-mail

(defun my-gnus-queue-mail-on ()
    (interactive)
  (setq gnus-agent-queue-mail 'always)
  (message "Now messages will always be queued"))

A bit cumbersome but doable.

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous atrocities on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support the EU and NATO membership of Ukraine.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: message-dont-send in queue folder not in draft folder
@ 2023-12-13 16:25   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-12-13 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Hi
>> If I have gnus plugged in and I am connected to the Internet,
>> message-dont-send saves the message in my  nndraft:drafts
>
>> If, however, gnus is not plugged in (agent on) then
>> message-dont-send again saves in that folder but
>> message-send-and-exit saves the buffer to the queue folder.
>
>> Is there any possibility tell message-send-and-exit (with an argument)
>> not to save it in the draft folder but in the queue folder?
>
>>   (nndraft-request-associate-buffer "queue")
>
>> Might be a possibility but are there other ones?
>

> It seems one solution would be
> to change the setting of gnus-agent-queue-mail
>
> (defun my-gnus-queue-mail-on ()
>     (interactive)
>   (setq gnus-agent-queue-mail 'always)
>   (message "Now messages will always be queued"))
>
> A bit cumbersome but doable.

I'm not sure where/when you want to activate this behavior.

- It will happen by default when Gnus is unplugged.
- Otherwise, if you just set `gnus-agent-queue-mail' to 'always, it will
  always be queued, you could just set that with customize.

I could understanding wanting a command that sends a single message to
the queue, but why write a command that globally sets the option once?
Why not just set it in your init files?

* Re: message-dont-send in queue folder not in draft folder
@ 2023-12-13 16:31   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2023-12-13 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I don't understand the issue here (or did not understand your original
post).

When I compose an email unplugged, if I don't send it (C-c C-d), it goes
in drafts; if I send it (C-c C-c), it goes in the queue.  How is your
needs different from the default behaviour?
--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-09-14) on Debian 12.2

* Re: message-dont-send in queue folder not in draft folder
@ 2023-12-14 13:06     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-12-14 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> I don't understand the issue here (or did not understand your original
> post).

> When I compose an email unplugged, if I don't send it (C-c C-d), it goes
> in drafts; if I send it (C-c C-c), it goes in the queue.  How is your
> needs different from the default behaviour?

My problem is that my draft folder contains some 20 messages, basically
messages that are half done.

But sometimes I write 2 emails one after another, but I want to send
both say 2 hours later. Of course I can save them in the draft folder
but since that folder contains say 20 message. I don't find this
convenient.

Best would be to save these messages in the queue folder since it
remains me later to send these messages.

Now I could unplug gnus write these messages «send» them and plugin gnus
again. But I prefer to have gnus plugged in almost always, since some
message might arrive in the meantime.

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel

@ 2023-12-14 13:08     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-12-14 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I'm not sure where/when you want to activate this behavior.

> - It will happen by default when Gnus is unplugged.
> - Otherwise, if you just set `gnus-agent-queue-mail' to 'always, it will
>   always be queued, you could just set that with customize.

> I could understanding wanting a command that sends a single message to
> the queue,

This was my first idea, but since nothing obvious occurred to me, I
thought of using this function.
Do you have such a function?

@ 2023-12-14 13:21       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2023-12-14 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 14:06, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> But sometimes I write 2 emails one after another, but I want to send
> both say 2 hours later. Of course I can save them in the draft folder
> but since that folder contains say 20 message. I don't find this
> convenient.

Ah, okay, you want the behaviour you normally see when unplugged when
you are plugged in!  I would suggest you ask to send with a delay,
normally bound to C-c C-j (gnus-delay-article).  That's what I use.

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 30.0.50 2023-07-11) on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: message-dont-send in queue folder not in draft folder
@ 2023-12-14 14:44       ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2023-12-14 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

>> I don't understand the issue here (or did not understand your original
>> post).

>> When I compose an email unplugged, if I don't send it (C-c C-d), it goes
>> in drafts; if I send it (C-c C-c), it goes in the queue.  How is your
>> needs different from the default behaviour?

> My problem is that my draft folder contains some 20 messages, basically
> messages that are half done.

> But sometimes I write 2 emails one after another, but I want to send
> both say 2 hours later. Of course I can save them in the draft folder
> but since that folder contains say 20 message. I don't find this
> convenient.

> Best would be to save these messages in the queue folder since it
> remains me later to send these messages.

> Now I could unplug gnus write these messages «send» them and plugin gnus
> again. But I prefer to have gnus plugged in almost always, since some
> message might arrive in the meantime.

I do not use the plugging mechanism, but do you know about
gnus-delay-article
(https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Delayed-Articles.html)
and if it fits your use case?

(The last paragraph in the manual about having to delete
Date from message-draft-headers is outdated since Emacs 28.1
(?), but checking with a test mail does not hurt before
using it for something important.)

Tim

* Re: message-dont-send in queue folder not in draft folder
@ 2023-12-14 17:17         ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-12-14 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thursday, 14 Dec 2023 at 14:06, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> But sometimes I write 2 emails one after another, but I want to send
>> both say 2 hours later. Of course I can save them in the draft folder
>> but since that folder contains say 20 message. I don't find this
>> convenient.

> Ah, okay, you want the behaviour you normally see when unplugged when
> you are plugged in!  I would suggest you ask to send with a delay,
> normally bound to C-c C-j (gnus-delay-article).  That's what I use.

Right I thought to use this also, but then for some bizarre reason the
following happens:

    1. I am asked for the delay time

    2. Then the graphical interface for oaouth2.plstore is called,

Which confuses me very much, I don't know which password I am going to
need so I interrupt this process.

graphical interface of the gpgsm tool (I use smime) pops up, I never
really figure out why, and could not debug it

--

@ 2023-12-15  1:45       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2023-12-15  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>> I'm not sure where/when you want to activate this behavior.
>
>> - It will happen by default when Gnus is unplugged.
>> - Otherwise, if you just set `gnus-agent-queue-mail' to 'always, it will
>>   always be queued, you could just set that with customize.
>
>> I could understanding wanting a command that sends a single message to
>> the queue,
>
> This was my first idea, but since nothing obvious occurred to me, I
> thought of using this function.
> Do you have such a function?

No, you'd probably just write a command that calls the function
`message-send-and-exit', but first let-binds `gnus-agent-queue-mail to
'always around the call.

But I think the other Eric's suggestion is the right one -- it sounds
like you just want delayed sending, and I would focus on getting that
working right.

* Re: message-dont-send in queue folder not in draft folder
@ 2023-12-15  6:42         ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-12-15  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding