* re-splitting old mail: nnimap version
@ 2013-06-29 10:27 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-06-29 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[In an earlier thread I complained about not being able to get splitting
working with imap, that's pretty much resolved. The other problem --
being unable to subscribe to any of gmail's system mailboxes -- is
ongoing!]

I recently moved from nnmail to nnimap, and all my previous mail was
split client-side only. As far as gmail's concerned, everything's still
in INBOX. I've got splitting set up okay, but I don't see how to go back
through all my old mails and re-split them in a way that will be
reflected on the server.

With nnmail you could re-split existing messages by respooling them. The
respool process only triggers splitting for nnmail, however, not for
nnimap. Is there any other nnimap-specific trick? I thought
`nnimap-request-scan' might do it, but it doesn't look through old
messages.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Eric

* Re: re-splitting old mail: nnimap version
@ 2013-07-01  7:39 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2013-07-01  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> With nnmail you could re-split existing messages by respooling them. The
> respool process only triggers splitting for nnmail, however, not for
> nnimap. Is there any other nnimap-specific trick?

You can try to set the nnimap-split-predicate variable to UNDELETED just
for one time in order to split all the messages, according to the
documentation.

--
Alberto

* Re: re-splitting old mail: nnimap version
@ 2013-07-01  9:32   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-07-01  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>
>> With nnmail you could re-split existing messages by respooling them. The
>> respool process only triggers splitting for nnmail, however, not for
>> nnimap. Is there any other nnimap-specific trick?
>
> You can try to set the nnimap-split-predicate variable to UNDELETED just
> for one time in order to split all the messages, according to the
> documentation.

Thanks! That variable doesn't exist here, though, with a gnus from git.
Is it maybe something that's built or checked dynamically?

@ 2013-07-01 10:26     ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2013-07-01 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>>
>>> With nnmail you could re-split existing messages by respooling them. The
>>> respool process only triggers splitting for nnmail, however, not for
>>> nnimap. Is there any other nnimap-specific trick?
>>
>> You can try to set the nnimap-split-predicate variable to UNDELETED just
>> for one time in order to split all the messages, according to the
>> documentation.
>
> Thanks! That variable doesn't exist here, though, with a gnus from git.
> Is it maybe something that's built or checked dynamically?

Oops... I'm using gnus from Emacs23, so yours is much more recent.  I
remember that there was some renaming with nnimap splitting variables in
order to be identical to those of nnmail.  Maybe you can search
nnimap.el for "split-predicate" in order to see if it got renamed too.
For reference, here is the old documentation for the variable:

«
nnimap-split-predicate is a variable defined in `nnimap.el'.
Its value is "UNSEEN"

  This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.

Documentation:
The predicate used to find articles to split.
If you use another IMAP client to peek on articles but always would
like nnimap to split them once it's started, you could change this to
"UNDELETED". Other available predicates are available in
RFC2060 section 6.4.4.
»

--
Alberto

* Re: re-splitting old mail: nnimap version
@ 2013-07-01 12:29       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-07-01 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>
>> Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

>>> You can try to set the nnimap-split-predicate variable to UNDELETED just
>>> for one time in order to split all the messages, according to the
>>> documentation.
>>
>> Thanks! That variable doesn't exist here, though, with a gnus from git.
>> Is it maybe something that's built or checked dynamically?
>
> Oops... I'm using gnus from Emacs23, so yours is much more recent.  I
> remember that there was some renaming with nnimap splitting variables in
> order to be identical to those of nnmail.  Maybe you can search
> nnimap.el for "split-predicate" in order to see if it got renamed too.
> For reference, here is the old documentation for the variable:
>
> «
> nnimap-split-predicate is a variable defined in `nnimap.el'.
> Its value is "UNSEEN"
>
>   This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.
>
> Documentation:
> The predicate used to find articles to split.
> If you use another IMAP client to peek on articles but always would
> like nnimap to split them once it's started, you could change this to
> "UNDELETED". Other available predicates are available in
> RFC2060 section 6.4.4.
> »

Thanks for the tip! That was enough to lead me to
"nnimap-unsplittable-articles", a server variable that I thought would
only affect incoming articles. But I set it to (%Deleted) (from
(%Deleted %Seen)) and restarted gnus, and it zoomed through all my
existing mail. Exactly what I was after.

Thanks!
Eric