* gnus-registry-marks support
@ 2011-05-21 15:33 Deepak Tripathi
From: Deepak Tripathi @ 2011-05-21 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

does gnus-registry-marks supported images? or unicode char.
I am using something like below, but i would like to add image.
,----

`----

--
,----
| Life's Too Short, Write Fast Code, Use emacs :)
| Deepak Tripathi(gnumonk)
| irc: irc.debian.org | nick: deepak, gnumonk
| irc: irc.freenode.com | nick: gnumonk
| web: http://www.gnumonk.com
`----

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: gnus-registry-marks support
@ 2011-05-25  2:24 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-05-25  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 21 May 2011 21:03:32 +0530 Deepak Tripathi <deepak@gnumonk.com> wrote:

DT> does gnus-registry-marks supported images? or unicode char.

You can use any character, including Unicode characters, as the :char
property.  I use:

#+begin_src lisp
(setq gnus-registry-marks
      '((Important
     :char ?ι
     :image "summary_important")
    (Work
     :char ?ω
     :image "summary_work")
    (Personal
     :char ?π
     :image "summary_personal")
    (To-Do
     :char ?τ
     :image "summary_todo")
    (Later
     :char ?λ
     :image "summary_later")))

#+end_src

The :image property is unused because no one has asked for it yet.  Can
you suggest some images we could use?  They should be small, 16x16 or
32x32 PNGs and free.  I'll take care of the code (probably it will be
just another user-format plugin).

Thanks
Ted

* Re: gnus-registry-marks support
@ 2011-05-31 16:44   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-05-31 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 24 May 2011 21:24:04 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> On Sat, 21 May 2011 21:03:32 +0530 Deepak Tripathi <deepak@gnumonk.com> wrote:
DT> does gnus-registry-marks supported images? or unicode char.

TZ> You can use any character, including Unicode characters, as the :char
TZ> property.  I use:

TZ> The :image property is unused because no one has asked for it yet.  Can
TZ> you suggest some images we could use?  They should be small, 16x16 or
TZ> 32x32 PNGs and free.  I'll take care of the code (probably it will be
TZ> just another user-format plugin).

Deepak, are you still interested in this?  I replied a week ago and if
you are not interested, will collect the icons myself.

Ted

* Re: gnus-registry-marks support
@ 2011-06-01 10:20     ` Deepak Tripathi
From: Deepak Tripathi @ 2011-06-01 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Ted,

Yes i am interested, I have seen some of the icons but most of them are
copyrighted, if you have some free one you can choose those one.

Also we can keep something like
,----
| (setq gnus-registry-marks
|       '((Important
|      :char ?✉
|      :image "summary_important")
`----
So if the people are on console with utf-8 enabled they can get nice
mail unicode icon.

--
,----
`----

@ 2011-06-01 13:18       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-06-01 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 15:50:48 +0530 Deepak Tripathi <deepak@gnumonk.com> wrote:

DT> Yes i am interested, I have seen some of the icons but most of them are
DT> copyrighted, if you have some free one you can choose those one.

Look at the Silk icon set and pick some.  It's pretty good.  I'll do the
rest :)

DT> Also we can keep something like
DT> ,----
DT> | (setq gnus-registry-marks
DT> |       '((Important
DT> |      :char ?✉
DT> |      :image "summary_important")
DT> `----
DT> So if the people are on console with utf-8 enabled they can get nice
DT> mail unicode icon.

The problem is that if you don't have UTF-8 enabled it's broken (and
there are many other console encodings, so we need general Unicode
capability *and* font support for those characters).  So for now it has
to be customized by the user.  Is there a way in GNU Emacs and XEmacs to
find out if it's safe to output a specific Unicode character on the
console?  I would assume not, since you can switch the terminal encoding
and the font at any time in gnome-terminal at least.

Maybe we could add a :unicode-char property and let the user enable
Unicode output as a global option.  I don't think it's worthwhile but if
people want it I'll add it.

Specifically for the Important mark, why use the ENVELOPE character?
For general consumption would use something like the *EXCLAMATION*
characters (FULLWIDTH EXCLAMATION MARK maybe), but essentially it's a
matter of taste.  As I showed in my setup, I use Greek letters because I
think they look nice in that context, but most people probably won't.

The Silk icon set, OTOH, is pretty popular on the web so using it makes
sense, and it already has some of the image lexicon we're looking for.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: gnus-registry-marks support
@ 2011-06-01 17:27         ` Deepak Tripathi
From: Deepak Tripathi @ 2011-06-01 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Okay i will search and send it across.

> On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 15:50:48 +0530 Deepak Tripathi
> <deepak@gnumonk.com> wrote:
>
> DT> Yes i am interested, I have seen some of the icons but most of
> them are
> DT> copyrighted, if you have some free one you can choose those one.
>
> Look at the Silk icon set and pick some.  It's pretty good.  I'll do
> the
> rest :)
>
> DT> Also we can keep something like
> DT> ,----
> DT> | (setq gnus-registry-marks
> DT> |       '((Important
> DT> |      :char ?✉
> DT> |      :image "summary_important")
> DT> `----
> DT> So if the people are on console with utf-8 enabled they can get
> nice
> DT> mail unicode icon.
>
> The problem is that if you don't have UTF-8 enabled it's broken (and
> there are many other console encodings, so we need general Unicode
> capability *and* font support for those characters).  So for now it
> has
> to be customized by the user.  Is there a way in GNU Emacs and XEmacs
> find out if it's safe to output a specific Unicode character on the
> console?  I would assume not, since you can switch the terminal
> encoding
> and the font at any time in gnome-terminal at least.
>
> Maybe we could add a :unicode-char property and let the user enable
> Unicode output as a global option.  I don't think it's worthwhile but
> if
> people want it I'll add it.
No, no need to add this, anyway people can use unicode char if they want.

> Specifically for the Important mark, why use the ENVELOPE character?
> For general consumption would use something like the *EXCLAMATION*
> characters (FULLWIDTH EXCLAMATION MARK maybe), but essentially it's a
> matter of taste.  As I showed in my setup, I use Greek letters because
> think they look nice in that context, but most people probably won't.
>
> The Silk icon set, OTOH, is pretty popular on the web so using it
> makes
> sense, and it already has some of the image lexicon we're looking for.

It was just an example. will send you appropriate one.

--
,----
`----

@ 2011-06-02  7:01         ` Deepak Tripathi
From: Deepak Tripathi @ 2011-06-02  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Ted,

Please find enclosed zip for selected icons.

,----
| Important -> exclamation.png
| Work -> monitor.png
| Personal -> heart.png
| Later -> basket.png
| To-Do  -> pencil.png
`----

[-- Attachment #1.2: Image-marks.tar.gz --]

--
,----
`----

@ 2011-06-06 18:06           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-06-06 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 12:31:33 +0530 Deepak Tripathi <deepak@gnumonk.com> wrote:

DT> Please find enclosed zip for selected icons.

DT> ,----
DT> | Important -> exclamation.png
DT> | Work -> monitor.png
DT> | Personal -> heart.png
DT> | Later -> basket.png
DT> | To-Do  -> pencil.png
DT> `----

Thanks, Deepak.  I'm working on getting that in Gnus, but decided to do
it through a general iconset.el library instead of something that only
works for a few icons.  It's coming :)

Ted