* Re: Gnus search engine returns "Group nnselect:nnselect-877cqbir7v.fsf contains no messages"
@ 2023-09-12  4:55 Husain Alshehhi
From: Husain Alshehhi @ 2023-09-12  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

husain@alshehhi.io writes:

> Hello,
>
> When I try to run gnus-group-read-ephemeral-search-group (bound to G G)
> in the group buffer with the queries "hi", "subject:hi" I get
>
>         Group nnselect:nnselect-877cqbir7v.fsf contains no messages
>
> I am not sure what is wrong. The relevant config is
>
>         (gnus-parameters
>            '(("@alshehhi.io"
>               (gnus-search-engine gnus-search-mu)
>               (display . all))))
>
> I am getting this error regardless of the gnus-search-engine I use, and
> regardless of whether I use gnus-search-use-parsed-queries or not. Any
> idea what could be wrong here?

Does anyone have a working example of mu setup?

Husain

* Re: Gnus search engine returns "Group nnselect:nnselect-877cqbir7v.fsf contains no messages"
@ 2023-08-10  3:08 Husain Alshehhi
From: Husain Alshehhi @ 2023-08-10  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> On 08/09/23 00:42 AM, Husain Alshehhi wrote:
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>
>>> If you can show me some sample CLI output from a working mu search, I
>>> can try debugging from there.
>>
>> The command is
>>
>>     mu find 'subject:hi'
>
> The output of that! Not the input...

Ops. Sorry misread the email.

Here is a sample masked output:

mu find 'subject:hi'
Wed 17 May 2023 10:04:26 PM CDT R*** T*** <***> Hi!
Fri 19 May 2023 10:02:17 PM CDT A**** F**** <***> Re: Hi!
Wed 24 May 2023 01:49:38 PM CDT M**** K**** W**** <***> Hi!!
Wed 07 Jun 2023 03:51:58 PM CDT M**** K**** W**** <***> Hi You Two!
Wed 07 Jun 2023 10:16:32 PM CDT A**** F**** <***> Re: Hi You Two!
Thu 08 Jun 2023 04:39:41 PM CDT M**** K**** W**** <***> Re: Hi You Two!
Thu 08 Jun 2023 11:21:54 PM CDT A**** F**** <***> Re: Hi You Two!
Fri 09 Jun 2023 01:51:35 PM CDT M**** K**** W**** <***> Re: Hi You Two!

mu find 'subject:hi' | wc -l
55

* Re: Gnus search engine returns "Group nnselect:nnselect-877cqbir7v.fsf contains no messages"
@ 2023-08-09  0:43 Husain Alshehhi
From: Husain Alshehhi @ 2023-08-09  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> I just meant the "(gnus-search-engine gnus-search-mu)" config. That is
> supposed to go in your `gnus-secondary-select-methods' configuration,
> like:
>
> '(nnmaildir "foo"
>    (directory "/x/y/z")
>    (gnus-search-engine gnus-search-mu))

Ah! I see. I did this but I am still getting the same error.

* Re: Gnus search engine returns "Group nnselect:nnselect-877cqbir7v.fsf contains no messages"
@ 2023-08-09  0:42 Husain Alshehhi
From: Husain Alshehhi @ 2023-08-09  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: Husain Alshehhi, Eric S Fraga, ding

@ 2023-08-06  2:33 Husain Alshehhi
From: Husain Alshehhi @ 2023-08-06  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> The search engine config is meant to go on your select method, I
> actually have no idea if it would take effect as a group parameter or
> not. But as a first step I would definitely try setting it on your
> select method instead.

MU does not come with any config file that the user usually
manipulates. I also couldn't find examples online of users using mu with
gnus. I am not sure what the value would be if I were to set the config field.

* Re: Gnus search engine returns "Group nnselect:nnselect-877cqbir7v.fsf contains no messages"
@ 2023-08-06  2:30 Husain Alshehhi
From: Husain Alshehhi @ 2023-08-06  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

> A second thought (having already responded): do the search engines have
> a minimum word size that is used for indexing terms?  It could be that
> "hi" is too short.

I tried different subject lines which I am certain exist in the group
but with no luck. I tried long and short words. MU does not have any
limits on words, and I tried the mu cli and it worked there. Just not in
GNUS.

* Re: Gnus search engine returns "Group nnselect:nnselect-877cqbir7v.fsf contains no messages"
@ 2023-08-06  2:28 Husain Alshehhi
From: Husain Alshehhi @ 2023-08-06  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Haman; +Cc: husain, ding

John Haman <mail@johnhaman.org> writes:

> 1. What is the expected output? Do you indeed have messages with the word "hi" in the subject line?

I expected to see messages that have the word "hi" in them. I tried with
different words as well (which do indeed exist in the group), and I get
a similar error still.

When there are no messages, I expected a different message in the echo
(e.g. No message found).

> 2. Do you observe the same behavior in the Server buffer? (Press "^"
> in the Group buffer, then navigate to your server and press "G").

Yes. The same error message appears.

* Gnus search engine returns "Group nnselect:nnselect-877cqbir7v.fsf contains no messages"
@ 2023-08-04  0:48 husain
                   ` (4 more replies)