* Trying to prune the registry because it's full; apply: registry max-size limit reached
@ 2015-03-30  6:12 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-03-30  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

just now when I wanted to enter this group, I got the error message

  Trying to prune the registry because it's full
  apply: registry max-size limit reached

with this backtrace:

Debugger entered: ((cl-assertion-failed (not (registry-full db)) "registry max-size limit reached"))
  cl--assertion-failed((not (registry-full db)) "registry max-size limit reached" nil nil)
  registry-insert([eieio-class-tag--registry-db "~/.gnus.d/.gnus.registry.eieio" 0.2 10000 0.1...])
  gnus-registry-insert( "<59afc63a-24c7-4b7b-89d8-4b99ba1f3b5b@googlegroups.com>" ((creation-time (21784 58735 12080 293000)) (group) (sender) (subject)))
  gnus-registry-get-or-make-entry("<59afc63a-24c7-4b7b-89d8-4b99ba1f3b5b@googlegroups.com>")
  gnus-registry-get-id-key("<59afc63a-24c7-4b7b-89d8-4b99ba1f3b5b@googlegroups.com>" group)
  gnus-registry-register-message-ids()
  run-hooks(gnus-summary-prepare-hook)
  apply(run-hooks gnus-summary-prepare-hook)
  gnus-run-hooks(gnus-summary-prepare-hook)
  gnus-summary-prepare()
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.clojure" nil t nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.mailinglists.clojure" nil t nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
  gnus-topic-select-group(nil)
  funcall-interactively(gnus-topic-select-group nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-topic-select-group nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-topic-select-group)

My registry-related settings are just

(setq gnus-registry-ignored-groups '(("^nntp" t) ("^nndraft" t)
                                     ("^nnir" t)
                                     ("training" t) ("Junk" t)
                                     ("Trash" t) ("Spam" t))
      ;; Don't track anything except for the message ids.
      gnus-registry-track-extra nil
      gnus-registry-max-entries 10000)

(gnus-registry-initialize)

I had thought that with a maximum number of entries, as soon as I hit
it, the registry would prune the oldest entries to regain some space.
But according to the messages, it seems that pruning didn't succeed.

For the time being, I have increased `gnus-registry-max-entries'.  Is
that a bug?  I mean, given that `gnus-registry-prune-factor' is on its
standard value of 0.1, pruning should have left me with a registry of
9000 entries and then insertion should have worked again, according to
the docs:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Registry Setup") ]
|  -- Variable: gnus-registry-max-entries
|      The number (an integer or ‘nil’ for unlimited) of entries the
|      registry will keep.  If the registry has reached or exceeded this
|      size, it will reject insertion of new entries.
|
|  -- Variable: gnus-registry-prune-factor
|      This option (a float between 0 and 1) controls how much the
|      registry is cut back during pruning.  In order to prevent constant
|      pruning, the registry will be pruned back to less than
|      ‘gnus-registry-max-entries’.  This option controls exactly how much
|      less: the target is calculated as the maximum number of entries
|      minus the maximum number times this factor.  The default is 0.1:
|      i.e., if your registry is limited to 50000 entries, pruning will
|      try to cut back to 45000 entries.  Entries with keys marked as
|      precious will not be pruned.
`----

Hm, actually the docs don't really mention that pruning will take place
automatically in case I'm hitting the limit but according to the
message I got before the error, I think it does (and everything else
wouldn't make sense anyway).

Bye,
Tassilo