* Re: bug#9434: [nnir] error quitting group
       [not found]         ` <m2k49n1zev.fsf@boostpro.com>
@ 2012-01-24 21:49           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-01-24 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 18:44:08 -0800 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

>> This is definitely NOT the case for nnir right now (but will be as
>> soon as I push my re-write). So I might be wrong about the
>> spam-related variables being global, and I'm sorry I suggested
>> it. Maybe Ted can set me straight?

DA> I sure hope it's supported.

The spam.el code is not buffer-localized.  All the variables it creates
are global.  I'd rather rewrite the whole thing as spam2.el than try to
fix this one thing, because there are so many other issues with spam.el:

- hard to configure

- not loaded by default

- not well integrated with the Gnus registry

- old and unused spam/ham processors

- copy/move logic needs to be much cleaner

- general logic is hard to follow, I was learning ELisp (I still am, but
  hey, it's only been 15 years)

- elegant original design by Francois Pinard corrupted by my primitive
  knowledge of ELisp ;)

- many new ideas floating in my head, especially "jam" handling (spam
  you have legitimately requested)

- at least 2 old threads had improvement suggestions for spam2.el, and
  I've saved them for a rainy day

CC to ding mailing list for comments.

Ted

* spam2.el again (was: bug#9434: [nnir] error quitting group)
@ 2012-01-26 22:45             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-01-26 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Following up with a changed subject because the original subject was
completely wrong.

Ted

@ 2012-12-26 17:46             ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-12-26 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> The spam.el code is not buffer-localized.  All the variables it creates
> are global.  I'd rather rewrite the whole thing as spam2.el than try to
> fix this one thing, because there are so many other issues with spam.el:

So I think it sounds like this particular bug won't be fixed, so I'm
closing the report.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen