* Sometimes, gnus-summary-insert-old-articles doesn't.
@ 2018-06-05  6:56 Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-06-05  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sometimes when I'm using the nnimap backend with Gmail, if I run
gnus-summary-insert-old-articles and request, say, 10 articles, no
additional articles appear in the summary buffer.  If I try again but
ask for, say, 10000 instead of 10, then some additional articles do
appear.

Is it normal for gnus-summary-insert-old-articles to add no articles to
the summary buffer even though it says that some old articles are
available?  Since it seems I can always fetch enough old articles by
incrementally increasing the number of articles requested, this isn't a
huge problem for me.  I'm just wondering if maybe it's a bug.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Sometimes, gnus-summary-insert-old-articles doesn't.
@ 2018-06-05  9:32 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-06-05  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday,  4 Jun 2018 at 23:56, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes when I'm using the nnimap backend with Gmail, if I run
> gnus-summary-insert-old-articles and request, say, 10 articles, no
> additional articles appear in the summary buffer.  If I try again but
> ask for, say, 10000 instead of 10, then some additional articles do
> appear.

Just to say that this happens to me very frequently.  And, in fact, the
number of old articles inserted is always (anecdotally) less than the
number requested.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.1.13 on Debian buster/sid

@ 2018-06-05 18:55 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2018-06-05 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: ding

On Jun 04 2018, Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it normal for gnus-summary-insert-old-articles to add no articles to
> the summary buffer even though it says that some old articles are
> available?

Perhaps due to gaps in the article numbers.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: Sometimes, gnus-summary-insert-old-articles doesn't.
@ 2018-06-05 19:37   ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2018-06-05 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andreas Schwab writes:

> On Jun 04 2018, Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it normal for gnus-summary-insert-old-articles to add no
>> articles to the summary buffer even though it says that some
>> old articles are available?
>
> Perhaps due to gaps in the article numbers.

Yeah, that happens to me with gmail. I think that the numbers are
the ones in "All Mail", that is why there are gaps in "Inbox" or
other folders.

--
Jorge.

* Re: Sometimes, gnus-summary-insert-old-articles doesn't.
@ 2018-06-05 19:44   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-06-05 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> On Jun 04 2018, Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it normal for gnus-summary-insert-old-articles to add no articles to
>> the summary buffer even though it says that some old articles are
>> available?
>
> Perhaps due to gaps in the article numbers.

It does look like `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles' calculates the old
article numbers to request without consulting the backend.

* Re: Sometimes, gnus-summary-insert-old-articles doesn't., Re: Sometimes, gnus-summary-insert-old-articles doesn't.
@ 2018-06-06  4:17     ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-06-06  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo, Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

Hi Jorge and Eric,

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.

"Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo" <jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu> writes:

> Andreas Schwab writes:
>
>> On Jun 04 2018, Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it normal for gnus-summary-insert-old-articles to add no
>>> articles to the summary buffer even though it says that some old
>>> articles are available?
>>
>> Perhaps due to gaps in the article numbers.
>
> Yeah, that happens to me with gmail. I think that the numbers are the
> ones in "All Mail", that is why there are gaps in "Inbox" or other
> folders.

> It does look like `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles' calculates the old
> article numbers to request without consulting the backend.

How might I begin to troubleshoot to see if this is a bug on Gmail's
side, within my local Gnus configuration, or within Gnus itself?  I'm
mainly just curious, since like I said I can just request arbitrarily
many articles to eventually get the older ones.

I've noticed this behavior occurs not only with Gmail but also with
other IMAP email providers, as well.  Anecdotally, today I observed
using a non-Gmail IMAP service that when I requested 10 old articles, I
got less than 10, and when I requested 10 again, I got even more
articles (but still less than 10).  It's quite curious.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Sometimes, gnus-summary-insert-old-articles doesn't., Re: Sometimes, gnus-summary-insert-old-articles doesn't.
@ 2018-06-06 16:53       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-06-06 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Jorge and Eric,
>
> Thanks for the feedback!  I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
>
> "Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo" <jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu> writes:
>
>> Andreas Schwab writes:

>>> Perhaps due to gaps in the article numbers.
>>
>> Yeah, that happens to me with gmail. I think that the numbers are the
>> ones in "All Mail", that is why there are gaps in "Inbox" or other
>> folders.

>> It does look like `gnus-summary-insert-old-articles' calculates the old
>> article numbers to request without consulting the backend.
>
> How might I begin to troubleshoot to see if this is a bug on Gmail's
> side, within my local Gnus configuration, or within Gnus itself?  I'm
> mainly just curious, since like I said I can just request arbitrarily
> many articles to eventually get the older ones.

I don't think it's a bug, per se -- it's just how the code is written.
So far as I can tell, Gnus just calculates what the previous ten (or
however many) articles numbers *would* be, and then requests those
numbers. I haven't stepped through the code to confirm, but that's what
it looks like.

I assume it would be possible to write a generic way of requesting some
number of old articles from a backend, regardless of their actual
article numbers, but my guess is that no one will get to that very soon!

Eric

* Re: Sometimes, gnus-summary-insert-old-articles doesn't., Re: Sometimes, gnus-summary-insert-old-articles doesn't.
@ 2018-06-09 10:01         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-06-09 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wednesday,  6 Jun 2018 at 09:53, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

[...]

> I don't think it's a bug, per se -- it's just how the code is written.

Reminds me of Jessica Rabbit ;-)

--

@ 2018-06-09 16:17           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-06-09 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Wednesday,  6 Jun 2018 at 09:53, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I don't think it's a bug, per se -- it's just how the code is written.
>
> Reminds me of Jessica Rabbit ;-)

Ooof, I had completely forgotten that movie...