From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: GitLab integration take two, light edition
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 11:45:55 -0700	[thread overview]

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> A while back I mumbled about creating an nngitlab backend, and I got a
> prototype working¹.

[...]

>   (defun asjo-article-treat-gitlab ()
>     "Show thumbsup on GitLab comments"
>     (let ((project-id (gnus-fetch-field "X-GitLab-Project-Id"))
>           (issue-iid (gnus-fetch-field "X-GitLab-Issue-IID"))
>           (message-id (gnus-fetch-field "Message-ID")))
>       (when project-id
>         (string-match "<note_\\([0-9]+\\)" message-id)
>         (ignore-errors
>           (let ((emoji (ghub-request "GET" (format "/projects/%s/issues/%s/notes/%s/award_emoji" project-id issue-iid (match-string 1 message-id)) nil :auth 'nngitlab :host "very.secret.gitlab.instance/api/v4" :username "asjo" :forge 'gitlab)))
>             (message-goto-eoh)
>             (insert "GitLab-Emoji: 👍\n")
>             (message "👍"))))))
>
>   (add-hook 'gnus-part-display-hook 'asjo-article-treat-gitlab)
>
> There's a lot wrong here. It does a request for each part, so 3 or 4
> (these are emails with both text and html MIME parts), and it puts in
> the fake header in multiple places. I'm sure there are nice functions to
> call to do what I want. Finding them is my issue.

I don't have any experience doing this so I'm also shooting in the dark
but...

It looks like the dynamic variable `gnus-treat-type' is bound while
`gnus-part-display-hook' is being run, so you should be able to examine
that to see if you're currently displaying "text/html" or what have you
(it could also be nil) and only run your function once.

Another approach would be to add your function to
`gnus-treatment-function-alist'.

> Also, the request actually returns a list of the various emojis, which
> ideally would be iterated over, and added to the header instead of the
> hardcoded thumbs up.
>
> Oh, and the ghub-request errors out with a 404 when there are no emojis
> (funky API design), which really ought to insert an empty GitLab-Emoji:
> fake header instead of just being ignored.

These two issues shouldn't be hard, right? What is the actual elisp
return value of `ghub-request'? If it's a list of codepoints, you can
just apply `string' to the list. If it's a list of strings, apply
`concat'. And wrap the whole thing in a `condition-case' to catch
whatever actual error represents a 404, and use a dummy string instead.

Is it more complicated than that for some reason?

(I'd also be curious to see where you gave up with the actual Gitlab
API -- do you have a relevant link you can share?)