* intelligent way to search a newsgroup
@ 2011-05-14  3:56 prad
From: prad @ 2011-05-14  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

i want to search a newsgroup by keyword.

i understand from the manual that i can do this with the ephermal group
G w
gmane
~g newsgroup keywords

so i tried
~g gmane.comp.db.sqlite.general correct extension

but this seems to be trying to search the entire gmane universe and is
taking a loooong time.

i'm following the info in the manual on G w here:
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/gnus_28.html

i'm also following the web searches link to see how that is different
with nnweb.

--
in friendship,
prad

* Re: intelligent way to search a newsgroup
@ 2011-05-15 12:35 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2011-05-15 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, May 14 2011, prad wrote:

> i want to search a newsgroup by keyword.

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.  What is your goal?

> http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/gnus_28.html

Why do you consult an outdate web age instead of the manual that comes
with Gnus?

,----[ http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/gnus.html ]
| This manual corresponds to Gnus 5.9.0.
`----

You are using...

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: intelligent way to search a newsgroup
@ 2011-05-15 13:41   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-05-15 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Sat, May 14 2011, prad wrote:
>
>> i want to search a newsgroup by keyword.
>
> I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.  What is your goal?

At a guess, he wants to search a newsgroup using Gnus and open any
articles containing that word. Search. Or I dont read anything more
sinister into what seems a reasonable request.

Its certainly not something obvious from the manual.

Indeed, the latest nognus release I have says this

,----
| 8 Searching
| ***********
|
| FIXME: Add a brief overview of Gnus search capabilities.  A brief
| comparison of nnir, nnmairix, contrib/gnus-namazu would be nice as well.
,----

* Re: intelligent way to search a newsgroup
@ 2011-05-15 17:17   ` prad
From: prad @ 2011-05-15 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Sat, May 14 2011, prad wrote:
>
>> i want to search a newsgroup by keyword.
>
> I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.  What is your goal?

it is to search a gnus group by keyword.

so say i want to find all articles in this group referring to how to
search for articles, it says i should do this:

G w
~g gmane.emacs.gnus.general search

though i found this works too

G w
group:gmane.emacs.gnus.general search

i was just wondering what techniques people use other than going to
google or the gmane search:
http://search.gmane.org/
(which is pretty fast admittedly!)

nothing more "sinister" than that as richard says. :D

>> http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/gnus_28.html
>
> Why do you consult an outdate web age instead of the manual that comes
> with Gnus?

i didn't realize it was outdated - just picked it up from a google
search. i should get used to accessing the proper manual instead. thx.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-05-30 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> though i found this works too
>
> G w
> group:gmane.emacs.gnus.general search
>
> i was just wondering what techniques people use other than going to
> google or the gmane search:

The G w gmane thing works for me...

* Re: intelligent way to search a newsgroup
@ 2011-05-30 20:42       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-05-30 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> The G w gmane thing works for me...

I thought you had moved on to G g...?

* Re: intelligent way to search a newsgroup
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-05-30 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> I thought you had moved on to G g...?

`G w' works, too.  :-)

* Re: intelligent way to search a newsgroup
@ 2011-05-30 22:21           ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-05-30 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> `G w' works, too.  :-)

Not for me.  Too slow (I just tried), and I can't properly followup to
the matches with the appropriate settings, nor use it to tick the
matches in the actual group.