* gnus doesn't obey header settings.
@ 2002-12-02 21:33 Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2002-12-02 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

for some sad reason i had to set up my gnus environment from scratch.
the only problem i have so far is with viewing articles. here's snippet from
my .gnus file:

(require 'gnus-art)
(setq gnus-treat-hide-boring-headers nil)
(setq gnus-show-all-headers t)
(setq gnus-visible-headers nil)
(setq gnus-ignored-headers
      (concat
       "^\\("
       (regexp-opt
	'(
	  "Message-ID"
	  "Received"
	  "References"
	  "X-Cache"
	  "X-MimeOLE"
	  "X-MSMail-Priority"
	  "Xref"
	  ))
       "\\):")
      )

gnus should show all the article's headers except these specified above, i
think, but it shows all the headers. any idea why? missing hook, forgotten
setq? i hope that the regexp looks ok.

and another thing:

(setq gnus-sorted-header-list
      (concat
       "^\\("
       (regexp-opt
	'(
	  "From"
	  "To"
	  "Cc"
	  "Newsgroups"
	  "Followup-To"
	  "Subject"
	  "Date"
	  "X-Sent"
	  "Organization"
	  "X-Mailer"
	  "User-Agent"
	  ))
       "\\):")
      )

the above should tell gnus to display article's headers in such order, but has
no effect at all. please someone enlighten me before i start reading sources ;)

i'm using oort from cvs (updated few hours ago).

 m.m. (scared after using webmail for few days)
--
 use gnus, not guns!

* Re: gnus doesn't obey header settings.
@ 2002-12-03  3:10 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-12-03  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner.ding@blah.pl> writes:

> (setq gnus-treat-hide-boring-headers nil)
> (setq gnus-show-all-headers t)
> (setq gnus-visible-headers nil)
> (setq gnus-ignored-headers
>  [snip]
>
> gnus should show all the article's headers except these specified
> above, i think, but it shows all the headers. any idea why?

Don't set `gnus-show-all-headers' to t if you want some headers to be
hidden.

> (setq gnus-sorted-header-list
>       (concat
>        "^\\("
>        (regexp-opt
> 	'(
> 	  "From"
> 	  "To"
> [...]
> 	  ))
>        "\\):")
>       )
>
> the above should tell gnus to display article's headers in such order,
> but has no effect at all.

Make it a list of regexps not _one_ single regexp.

* Re: gnus doesn't obey header settings.
@ 2002-12-03  7:28 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-03  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner.ding@blah.pl> writes:

> (setq gnus-show-all-headers t)

This means to show all headers, regardless of other variables.

* Re: gnus doesn't obey header settings.
@ 2002-12-03 14:19   ` Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2002-12-03 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Don't set `gnus-show-all-headers' to t if you want some headers to be
> hidden.

done. no change :( gnus still shows all the headers in articles.

>> (setq gnus-sorted-header-list
>>       (concat
>>        "^\\("
>>        (regexp-opt
>> 	'(
>> 	  "From"
>> 	  "To"
>> [...]
>> 	  ))
>>        "\\):")
>>       )
>>
>> the above should tell gnus to display article's headers in such order,
>> but has no effect at all.
> Make it a list of regexps not _one_ single regexp.

like that:

(setq gnus-sorted-header-list
      '(
       "^From:"
       "^To:"
       "^Cc:"
       "^Newsgroups:"
       "^Followup-To:"
       "^Subject:"
       "^Date:"
       "^X-Sent:"
       "^Organization:"
       "^X-Mailer:"
       "^User-Agent:"
      ))

? still no effect, gnus shows the headers in chaotic way.

how can i debug why gnus ignores the settings? i'm really confused.
(why only headers' settings?)

 m.m.
--

@ 2002-12-03 15:37     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-03 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner.ding@blah.pl> writes:

> done. no change :( gnus still shows all the headers in articles.

What's your value for gnus-visible-headers and gnus-ignored-headers
now?

I have a setting for gnus-visible-headers and
gnus-sorted-header-list.  This appears to work.

* Re: gnus doesn't obey header settings.
@ 2002-12-03 16:34       ` Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 2002-12-03 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> What's your value for gnus-visible-headers and gnus-ignored-headers
> now?

`gnus-visible-headers' is a variable declared in Lisp.
  -- loaded from "gnus-art"

Value: nil

Documentation:
*All headers that do not match this regexp will be hidden.
This variable can also be a list of regexp of headers to remain visible.
If this variable is non-nil, `gnus-ignored-headers' will be ignored.

`gnus-ignored-headers' is a variable declared in Lisp.
  -- loaded from "gnus-art"

Value: "^Received:"

Documentation:
*All headers that start with this regexp will be hidden.
This variable can also be a list of regexps of headers to be ignored.
If `gnus-visible-headers' is non-nil, this variable will be ignored.

despite the setting, gnus shows the received headers in articles.

> I have a setting for gnus-visible-headers and gnus-sorted-header-list.
> This appears to work.

well, i must have really bad luck then.

btw., you don't set the "mail-followup-to" header, do you really want to
get a copy of reply to your mails?

 m.m.
--

@ 2002-12-03 17:56         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-03 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner.ding@blah.pl> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> What's your value for gnus-visible-headers and gnus-ignored-headers
>> now?
>
> `gnus-ignored-headers' is a variable declared in Lisp.
>   -- loaded from "gnus-art"
>
> Value: "^Received:"
>
> Documentation:
> *All headers that start with this regexp will be hidden.
> This variable can also be a list of regexps of headers to be ignored.
> If `gnus-visible-headers' is non-nil, this variable will be ignored.
>
> despite the setting, gnus shows the received headers in articles.

Hm.  What happens when you type `t' on a message?  Does that make the
headers go away?  And does another `t' bring them back?

>> I have a setting for gnus-visible-headers and gnus-sorted-header-list.
>> This appears to work.
>
> well, i must have really bad luck then.
>
> btw., you don't set the "mail-followup-to" header, do you really want to
> get a copy of reply to your mails?

Eek.  I'm reading this via the news group on quimby.  Hm.  Do I have
an MCT header?  Maybe the gateway should convert betwene MCT and MFT?

* Re: gnus doesn't obey header settings.
@ 2002-12-03 18:04     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-12-03 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner.ding@blah.pl> writes:

>> Don't set `gnus-show-all-headers' to t if you want some headers to be
>> hidden.
>
> done. no change :( gnus still shows all the headers in articles.

Strange.  It works for me with

          (setq gnus-visible-headers nil)
          (setq gnus-ignored-headers ...

>> Make it a list of regexps not _one_ single regexp.
>
> like that:
>
> (setq gnus-sorted-header-list
>       '(
>        "^From:"
>        "^To:"
>       ))

Yes.

> still no effect, gnus shows the headers in chaotic way.

Well, there is a bug that makes Gnus ignore the _last_ entry in the
list, but the rest of the entries are sorted for me.

> how can i debug why gnus ignores the settings?

edebug `article-hide-headers' in gnus-art.el.  See
<info://Gnus/Troubleshooting>.

* Re: gnus doesn't obey header settings.
@ 2002-12-03 21:58           ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-12-03 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Eek.  I'm reading this via the news group on quimby.  Hm.  Do I have
> an MCT header?  Maybe the gateway should convert betwene MCT and
> MFT?

No, you don't have an MCT, and I really think that auto-generating the
MFT header is a *bad* idea!  Down that path lies madness!  Don't let
it turn into another Reply-To header! :)

--
Josh Huber

* Re: gnus doesn't obey header settings.
@ 2003-01-23 22:54           ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2003-01-23 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm still catching up on some old threads...

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
> Eek.  I'm reading this via the news group on quimby.  Hm.  Do I have
> an MCT header?  Maybe the gateway should convert betwene MCT and MFT?

The gateway should not touch MFT.  It would suffice for the gateway to
preserve MCT; mail followups (from Gnus, at least) will respect MCT.

paul

* Re: gnus doesn't obey header settings.
@ 2003-01-24  6:43             ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-01-24  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

 PJ> I'm still catching up on some old threads...
 PJ> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Groъjohann) wrote:
 >> Eek.  I'm reading this via the news group on quimby.  Hm.  Do I have
 >> an MCT header?  Maybe the gateway should convert betwene MCT and MFT?

 PJ> The gateway should not touch MFT.  It would suffice for the gateway to
 PJ> preserve MCT; mail followups (from Gnus, at least) will respect MCT.

And what will be with MFT on the news side? Will it be silently dropped?

---Vas

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: gnus doesn't obey header settings.
@ 2003-01-24 21:19               ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2003-01-24 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

deskpot@myrealbox.com (Vasily Korytov) wrote:
> And what will be with MFT on the news side? Will it be silently dropped?

You're talking about mail->news?  I don't think it matters much, since
news clients won't be making followups by mail.  It might as well be
preserved, for the sake of minimal munging.

paul