* Local Mail Folders Lost?
@ 2015-08-26 22:25 Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2015-08-26 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I was messing with my gnus configuration in an attempt to get msmtp to
use encrypted passwords (which failed), and my local mail is now
missing. Well, most of it anyway.

My local mail is nnmh format in ~/LocalMail as follows:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnmh ""))
(setq nnmh-directory "~/LocalMail")

I can enter exactly five of those tens of folders now. Most are however
listed like this an not accessible in Gnus (but they are in Sylpheed):

         *: nndraft:Thailand
         *: nndraft:Ideas_misc
         *: nndraft:stuff-archive

Is there a way to maybe reset Gnus so that I can find my local mail
again?

Thanks, Aric

--
    ~O
    /\_,

* Re: Local Mail Folders Lost?
@ 2015-08-27  5:20 ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2015-08-27  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 27 Aug 2015, Aric Gregson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was messing with my gnus configuration in an attempt to get msmtp to
> use encrypted passwords (which failed), and my local mail is now
> missing. Well, most of it anyway.
>
> My local mail is nnmh format in ~/LocalMail as follows:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnmh ""))
> (setq nnmh-directory "~/LocalMail")
>
> I can enter exactly five of those tens of folders now. Most are
> however listed like this an not accessible in Gnus (but they are in
> Sylpheed):
>
> *: nndraft:Thailand
> *: nndraft:Ideas_misc
> *: nndraft:stuff-archive
>
> Is there a way to maybe reset Gnus so that I can find my local mail
> again?

Can you re-subscribe them?

See the manual "2.4 Subscription Commands"

* Re: Local Mail Folders Lost?
@ 2015-08-28 23:43   ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2015-08-28 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On 27 Aug 2015, Aric Gregson wrote:
>> Is there a way to maybe reset Gnus so that I can find my local mail
>> again?
>
> Can you re-subscribe them?

Actually, I can thank you.

However, some of the groups I cannot actually enter. It says that there
are no messages, or it says that there are no new messages. I know that
there are messages in them though.

Thanks, Aric

--
    ~O
    /\_,

* Re: Local Mail Folders Lost?
@ 2015-08-29  6:48     ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2015-08-29  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 29 Aug 2015, Aric Gregson wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>
>> On 27 Aug 2015, Aric Gregson wrote:
>>> Is there a way to maybe reset Gnus so that I can find my local mail
>>> again?
>>
>> Can you re-subscribe them?
>
> Actually, I can thank you.
>
> However, some of the groups I cannot actually enter. It says that
> there are no messages, or it says that there are no new messages. I
> know that there are messages in them though.

and

gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic ?

(M-g on 'local mail folder' group , while in the Group buffer)

* Re: Local Mail Folders Lost?
@ 2015-08-29 14:27       ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2015-08-29 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On 29 Aug 2015, Aric Gregson wrote:
>
>> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

>>> Can you re-subscribe them?
>>
>> Actually, I can thank you.
>>
>> However, some of the groups I cannot actually enter. It says that
>> there are no messages, or it says that there are no new messages. I
>> know that there are messages in them though.
>
> and
>
> gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic ?
>
> (M-g on 'local mail folder' group , while in the Group buffer)

I'm not very familiar with nnmh, but is there something analogous to

  nnfolder-generate-active-file

that you need to run?

Alternatively, what if you delete one of the bad groups completely from
Gnus and then recreate it?

Dan

* Re: Local Mail Folders Lost?
@ 2015-08-29 23:30       ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2015-08-29 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 08:48:26 +0200
Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2015, Aric Gregson wrote:
>
> > Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> >> Can you re-subscribe them?
> >
> > Actually, I can thank you.
> >
> > However, some of the groups I cannot actually enter. It says that
> > there are no messages, or it says that there are no new messages. I
> > know that there are messages in them though.
>
> and
>
> gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic ?
>
> (M-g on 'local mail folder' group , while in the Group buffer)

Unfortunately this does not work either.

* Re: Local Mail Folders Lost?
@ 2015-08-29 23:34         ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2015-08-29 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 10:27:43 -0400
Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> wrote:

> I'm not very familiar with nnmh, but is there something analogous to
>
>   nnfolder-generate-active-file

I found this command and ran it, but nothing seemed to happen, perhaps
because I am using nnmh?

> Alternatively, what if you delete one of the bad groups completely
> from Gnus and then recreate it?

Do I need to go into the eieio file? I have created new subscriptions
for these files already. How do I completely remove the group from Gnus
other than doing a Ctrl-K?

Thanks

* Re: Local Mail Folders Lost?
@ 2015-08-31  0:32 ` Mike Kupfer
From: Mike Kupfer @ 2015-08-31  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aric Gregson; +Cc: ding

Aric Gregson wrote:

> My local mail is nnmh format in ~/LocalMail as follows:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnmh ""))
> (setq nnmh-directory "~/LocalMail")

FWIW, I had problems in the past when my nnmh tree was rooted at
something other than ~/Mail.  I don't think I ever tracked it down, I
just moved the mail tree.

mike

* Re: Local Mail Folders Lost?
@ 2015-08-31  0:39           ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2015-08-31  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Aric Gregson <aorchid@mac.com> writes:

> On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 10:27:43 -0400
> Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> wrote:
>
>> I'm not very familiar with nnmh, but is there something analogous to
>>
>>   nnfolder-generate-active-file
>
> I found this command and ran it, but nothing seemed to happen, perhaps
> because I am using nnmh?

Right.  I meant something analogous to that command.  I don't use nnmh,
so I'm not sure how it maintains its active file.

>> Alternatively, what if you delete one of the bad groups completely
>> from Gnus and then recreate it?
>
> Do I need to go into the eieio file?

Do you mean the registry?  That shouldn't be relevant.

> I have created new subscriptions for these files already. How do I
> completely remove the group from Gnus other than doing a Ctrl-K?

Maybe `C-u G DEL' will work?

  G DEL (translated from G <backspace>) runs the command
  gnus-group-delete-group, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
  function in `gnus-group.el'.

  It is bound to G <delete>, G DEL, <menu-bar> <Groups> <Foreign groups>
  <Delete group>.

  (gnus-group-delete-group GROUP &optional FORCE NO-PROMPT)

  Delete the current group.  Only meaningful with editable groups.
  If FORCE (the prefix) is non-nil, all the articles in the group will
  be deleted.  This is "deleted" as in "removed forever from the face
  of the Earth".  There is no undo.  The user will be prompted before
  doing the deletion.
  Note that you also have to specify FORCE if you want the group to
  be removed from the server, even when it's empty.

Dan

* message and electric-quote-mode
@ 2015-09-03  1:18   ` George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2015-09-03  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I think I'm first going to post this to the gnus-list, though perhaps it
belongs instead on emacs-devel?

If I compose a message using message-mode, and do

M-x electric-quote-mode

(so that electric-quote-mode is *enabled*)

then typing e.g. `` in the "text of the message" does nothing.

This is not the behavior I expected after reading the doc-string of
electric-quote-mode (because presumably the text of a message should be
a "text paragraph").

However, typing > and then ` two times results in a curved double quote,
as follows:

 > “

The seems to be because message-mode sets the value of the variable

comment-start

"> ".

(See the function

  electric-quote-post-self-insert-function

)

Indeed, if I do

  M-: (setq comment-start nil)

then typing `` results in the behavior expected when electric-quote-mode is
enabled (whether or not there is a preceding "> ").

Presumably this is "not (quite) the desired behavior", though I'm not
sure precisely what should change.

I guess I should say:

emacs-version ==> 25.0.50.15
message mode bundled with gnus-version 5.13

All the best,
george

--
   =---=   George McNinch <gmcninch(at)gmail.com>
   =---=   http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu

* Re: message and electric-quote-mode
@ 2015-09-03  3:24     ` Ernesto Alfonso
From: Ernesto Alfonso @ 2015-09-03  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George McNinch; +Cc: ding

Hi, first post to this list. Hopefully this is for development of gnus emacs.

I'm very annoyed at having to wait for gnus to fetch mail, which takes
between 5-10 secs during which emacs freezes.

I believe the function in question is

gnus-group-read-group

and

gnus-summary-read-group

when fetching my gmail inbox.

Can we use a process sentinel "async" approach to avoid this 10 second
emacs freeze?