* Re: Removing nndoc groups?
       [not found] <wtnwvoz958o.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
@ 2000-01-24 14:03 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-01-24 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> This might be very easy but how do I remove nndoc groups? I created a
> nndoc group for some time ago and have now removed the file. How do I
> remove the group from Gnus?

>  U       *: nndoc+/users/dtek/d94/d4jonas/Skriv.ut/news:news

> C-u G DEL/G DEL: "This backend does not support group deletion"

For one, I usually kill the group.  And later, edit it out of .newsrc.eld.

* Re: Removing nndoc groups?
@ 2000-02-06 15:32   ` Slawek Zak
From: Slawek Zak @ 2000-02-06 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> For one, I usually kill the group.  And later, edit it out of
> .newsrc.eld.

Which is not recommended :))
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?
 That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?
 (Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands.)
Suavek Zak / PGP: finger://zaks@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl

* Re: Removing nndoc groups?
@ 2000-02-06 20:20     ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-02-06 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Slawek Zak <S.Zak@altkom.com> écrit:

> François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> > For one, I usually kill the group.  And later, edit it out of
> > .newsrc.eld.

> Which is not recommended :))

What is the recommended way, then?

* user-mail-address
@ 2000-02-06 21:20     ` amos+lists.ding
From: amos+lists.ding @ 2000-02-06 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Just checked out a copy.)

I'm using gnus-posting-styles to, among other things, set address
(user-mail-address).  I'm using smtpmail-send-it as my
send-mail-function.  When I go to send a message, I'm prompted to
enter my mail address.  Why?  Isn't the user-mail-address being
copied over to the buffer that's actually sent?

I know this has been gone over before, but it's still a bit
confusing.

Amos

* Re: Removing nndoc groups?
@ 2000-02-07 14:43       ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2000-02-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Slawek Zak <S.Zak@altkom.com> écrit:
>> François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

>>> For one, I usually kill the group.  And later, edit it out of
>>> .newsrc.eld.

>> Which is not recommended :))

I see in the info a recommendation to not delete .newsrc.eld and to
not mess with the topic topology variable.  Nothing about dealing with
any of the various group lists.

> What is the recommended way, then?

I effectively do what you do, but I don't edit .newsrc.eld.  I have
gnus-save-killed-list set to nil.  After killing the nndoc group I
just wait until I restart gnus (though that may be a long time :-) and
then it's gone for good.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: Removing nndoc groups?
@ 2000-02-07 16:55         ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-02-07 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) écrit:

> > What is the recommended way, then?

> I have gnus-save-killed-list set to nil.

Hey, hey!  Thanks a lot.  I was not aware of that variable, and the save
killed list has often been a source of trouble for me, at least when I
experiment with backends, as those have a shocking tendency to bug me
forever afterwards :-).

> I see in the info a recommendation to not delete .newsrc.eld and to
> not mess with the topic topology variable.

Yet, despite the recommendation, one might have to do it.  I got some
Mule difficulties around there.  By the way, does someone else try to use
accented characters in topics?  Sounds a pretty natural thing to do for me!

* Re: Removing nndoc groups?
@ 2000-02-07 19:40           ` Karl EICHWALDER
From: Karl EICHWALDER @ 2000-02-07 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

|   By the way, does someone else try to use accented characters in
|   topics?  Sounds a pretty natural thing to do for me!

;-) No, until now not; I'm using short english labels only.

Since some of my co-workers start to show interest in Gnus, and since
I'm willing to support their interest, I'm prepared to see german
umlauts in topics sooner or later :-)

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |          ------    ,__o

* Re: Removing nndoc groups?
@ 2000-02-07 21:16             ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-02-07 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl EICHWALDER <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

> |   By the way, does someone else try to use accented characters in
> |   topics?  Sounds a pretty natural thing to do for me!
>
> ;-) No, until now not; I'm using short english labels only.
>
> Since some of my co-workers start to show interest in Gnus, and since
> I'm willing to support their interest, I'm prepared to see german
> umlauts in topics sooner or later :-)

I've a topic named räksmörgås and it has worked for quite a while, I
think you'll need

(setq gnus-startup-file-coding-system 'iso-8859-1)

to get it to work.

Perhaps the default of that variable should be `mule' so that one
could have any string in topics without having to edit the variable?
It would require that Gnus checked the .newsrc.eld version number and
used 'binary for older versions and 'mule for recent.

* Re: Removing nndoc groups?
@ 2000-02-08  1:05               ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-02-08  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> écrit:

> I've a topic named räksmörgås and it has worked for quite a while,
> I think you'll need

> (setq gnus-startup-file-coding-system 'iso-8859-1)

> to get it to work.

Thanks a great deal for this information, I would have hardly found
it myself.  I'm putting it in, and should soon see if it helps! :-)

* Re: user-mail-address
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

amos+lists.ding@utdallas.edu writes:

> I'm using gnus-posting-styles to, among other things, set address
> (user-mail-address).  I'm using smtpmail-send-it as my
> send-mail-function.  When I go to send a message, I'm prompted to
> enter my mail address.  Why?  Isn't the user-mail-address being
> copied over to the buffer that's actually sent?

It's not unlikely that smtpmail-send-it uses some other method to find
your mail address, but I'm not familiar with that function.

* Re: user-mail-address
@ 1996-12-05 21:32         ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1996-12-05 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Climb your way to the top; that's
      Prescient Technologies, Inc.        | why the drapes are there.

* Re: user-mail-address
@ 1996-12-05 20:38       ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-12-05 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

                                       ^        ^
Rich> So, there really is no reason to maintain mixed case.

I see.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: user-mail-address
@ 1996-12-05 19:44     ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1996-12-05 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | If you're not receiving enough
      Prescient Technologies, Inc.        | attention, try knocking over some

* Re: user-mail-address
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:

> If Gnus is aggressively downcasing addresses, it is broken, and should
> be fixed.  Casification of hostnames is an organizational/personal
> preference.

Yup.  I've just sent a patch off to RMS to fix this.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: user-mail-address
@ 1996-12-05 19:02   ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1996-12-05 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> jason@mastaler.com (Jason R. Mastaler) writes:
>> Is there a reason why 'user-mail-address' forces all lowercaps on
>> the specified e-mail address?  For example, I have set:
>>
>> (setq user-mail-address "jason@Mastaler.COM")
>>
>> However, the "From:" address Red Gnus generates is
>> jason@mastaler.com (all lowercase).  Is there a way to make this
>> more flexible?

The 'correct' mail address for Jason is 'jason@mastaler.com' (no
caps). As far as I can see, mail-extr is doing exactly the right
thing, as domain names simply do not have capital letters in them.

Lars> I'll have Message bypass the function if `user-mail-address'
Lars> contains no spaces.

Whatever. I guess it doesn't matter much, but I think it does the
right thing now.

-Justin

* Re: user-mail-address
@ 1996-12-05 18:45   ` Randal Schwartz
From: Randal Schwartz @ 1996-12-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus

Rich> Internet host names are lowercase.

No.  Internet host name matching is (should be?) case-insensitive.
The authoritative host names (as returned by a reverse resolution) can
be CAPS, lowercase, or StUdLYCaps.  User agents are encouraged to
maintain the case returned from the canonical name.

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@ora.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

* Re: user-mail-address
@ 1996-12-05 18:15   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1996-12-05 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:
>> Is there a way to make this more flexible?

Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@PrescientTech.com> writes:
> Internet host names are lowercase.  Anything that attempts to resolve
> Internet addresses by name will downcase the name before feeding to the
> resolver, and then the resolver should do it as well just to be sure.
> Thus, there is no reason to use anything but lowercase in host names.

Not even close, actually.

Until recently (as in, last 5-7 years or so), the Internet was almost
totally an uppercase-oriented sort of place, in terms of hostnames
and, until the advent of UNIX, usernames.  A very great many places
with long histories of Internet/ARPANET presence still have
nameservers which tend to be uppercase-centric.  I used to work at
Carnegie Mellon Univ (Class B network 128.2, the 1st Class B allocated
ever), and it is totally uppercase-oriented in its nameservers.

There is no resolver software anywhere that I've seen which
automatically downcases everything put to it.  That's not to say
comparisons pay attention to case: The requirements stipulate case-
insensitive comparisons, but any mix of case is permitted.  And
indeed, many organizations prefer to list themselves in a mix of case
to make more clear the nature of the name.

CompuServe has been generating mail addresses as x.y@CompuServe.COM
since their mail gateway was created, in 1988-89.  (I built [the
Internet side of] it.  Their mailer software was set up to generate
mixed case quite deliberately.)

If Gnus is aggressively downcasing addresses, it is broken, and should
be fixed.  Casification of hostnames is an organizational/personal
preference.

--karl

[1015] [13:03:32] pocari-sweat:~> host -a cs.cmu.edu.
The following answer is not authoritative:
cs.cmu.edu      180000 IN       A       128.2.222.173
cs.cmu.edu      999999 IN       NS      BANANA.SRV.CS.CMU.EDU
cs.cmu.edu      999999 IN       NS      PEACH.SRV.CS.CMU.EDU
cs.cmu.edu      999999 IN       NS      BLUEBERRY.SRV.CS.CMU.EDU
cs.cmu.edu      999999 IN       NS      MANGO.SRV.CS.CMU.EDU
cs.cmu.edu      999999 IN       SOA     DIST.FAC.CS.CMU.EDU GRIPE.FAC.CS.CMU.EDU(
                        100     ;serial (version)
                        3100    ;refresh period
                        5600    ;retry refresh this often
                        3600000 ;expiration period
                        600     ;minimum TTL
                        )
[1016] [13:03:54] pocari-sweat:~> host -a morningstar.org.
The following answer is not authoritative:
morningstar.org 172800 IN       NS      scampi.MorningStar.org
morningstar.org 172800 IN       NS      NS2.NET.OHIO-STATE.edu

@ 1996-12-05 17:00 ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1996-12-05 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 1996-12-05 16:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-05 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

jason@mastaler.com (Jason R. Mastaler) writes:

> Is there a reason why 'user-mail-address' forces all lowercaps
> on the specified e-mail address?  For example, I have set:
>
> (setq user-mail-address "jason@Mastaler.COM")
>
> However, the "From:" address Red Gnus generates is jason@mastaler.com
> (all lowercase).  Is there a way to make this more flexible?

*sigh* If it wasn't for the fact that mail-extr was useful and stuff,
I'd dislike it.  :-)  It is, in my opinion, much too helpful.  I'd
really like just a simple thing that reliably would give me the
complete, unexpurgated, unmangled address and comment components of a
>From header.

In this case, mail-extr has decided to lower-case the FQDN part of
the address.

I'll have Message bypass the function if `user-mail-address' contains
no spaces.

@ 1996-12-05 15:13 Jason R. Mastaler