* make of qgnus-0.11 hangs formatting info files
@ 1997-09-29 17:14 Sean Doran
       [not found] ` <x7pvpsyos4.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Sean Doran @ 1997-09-29 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

  Is it just me, or do other people see a hang
when doing "make" on the qgnus-0.11 source tree?
I get as far as:

Formatting: The Server Buffer ...
Formatting: Server Buffer Format ...
Formatting: Server Commands ...
Formatting: Example Methods ...
Formatting: Creating a Virtual Server ...
Formatting: Server Variables ...

and then the emacs child of make eats enormous amounts of
CPU until SIGINTed.

: sean.ebone.net ; emacs -batch -eval '(print (emacs-version))'

"GNU Emacs 20.2.2 (i386-unknown-netbsd1.2G, X toolkit)
 of Mon Sep 29 1997 on sean.ebone.net"
: sean.ebone.net ; uname -a
NetBSD sean.ebone.net 1.2G NetBSD 1.2G (EBONE) #0: Thu Sep 18 04:51:49 PDT 1997     root@:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/EBONE i386

I haven't checked on other platforms, so it could be
platform or compiler-flag dependent lossage.

(Files retrieved off prep, latest mbsk retreived from
www.naggum.no, ./configure as normal, then make 'CFLAGS=-g
-O3')

I guess I could always SIGQUIT and look at the emacs core
file if this unique to me.

	Sean.

* Re: make of qgnus-0.11 hangs formatting info files
       [not found] ` <x7pvpsyos4.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1997-09-29 19:43   ` Sean Doran
From: Sean Doran @ 1997-09-29 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> SD> "GNU Emacs 20.2.2 (i386-unknown-netbsd1.2G, X toolkit)
>                ^^
> That could be the problem.  It makes just fine with
> 19.34.

Nope, it's architechture-dependent, since a build on a
NetBSD SPARC with the same compiler options, with the
compiler (and everything else) built from roughly the same
SUPped sources works just fine.

BTW, this is the first lossage I've seen with emacs-20.2
with the MBSK.

I'm fiddling with compiler options.  Simple -O didn't work.

I got a mildly interesting stack backtrace by using the
SIGQUIT and if the fiddled compiler options
(force-mem/force-addr) doesn't solve the lossage, and
turning off optimization altogether doesn't either,
then I'll see if I can reproduce it in an interactive
Emacs in which I can toggle debug-on-error to t.

@ 1997-09-29 23:51 ` St. Suika Roberts
From: St. Suika Roberts @ 1997-09-29 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29 Sep 1997, Sean Doran wrote:

> Hi -
>
>   Is it just me, or do other people see a hang
> when doing "make" on the qgnus-0.11 source tree?
> I get as far as:
>
> Formatting: The Server Buffer ...
> Formatting: Server Buffer Format ...
> Formatting: Server Commands ...
> Formatting: Example Methods ...
> Formatting: Creating a Virtual Server ...
> Formatting: Server Variables ...

This is the info files being processed here, and makeinfo give me a few
errors on gnus.texi when I ran it (makinfo --no-split gnus.texi)

One can avoid this by running make from the lisp directory ^^;;

(of course, emacs 20.0.94 doesn't like the lisp files either ^^;; )

Thanks,
	Suika (new address, which is in my .sig (how does one make pine
put one's proper address in the From: field?))
--
                    wroberts@tvi.cc.nm.us