From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: the gnus-newsgroup-unseen mark is too sticky
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:17:26 +0100	[thread overview]

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> (defvar gnus-newsgroup-unseen nil
>   "List of unseen articles in the current newsgroup.")
>
> I'm not sure of the philosophy of "unseen" messages, but there is one
> instance when this feature doesn't DWIM.  Say I have a Summary buffer
> with some unseen messages, which are marked with ".".  I go to one of
> these messages and select it, mark it as read, delete it, whatever.
> The "." is still there, when it is really no longer "unseen".
>
> Why is this an issue, you ask?  Well, I have code that highlights
> unseen messages with a special face:

> (defface gnus-summary-unseen-face
>   '((((class color))
>      (:foreground "gold" :background "black")))
>   "Face used for unseen (.-marked) articles.")
>
> (require 'gnus-sum)
> (require 'cl)
>
> (pushnew '((memq (gnus-summary-article-number)
> 		 gnus-newsgroup-unseen)
> 	   . gnus-summary-unseen-face)
> 	 gnus-summary-highlight)
>
> After I read one of these nicely-colored unseen messages, the "."
> mark still lingers so the function that highlights a line thinks it's
> still unseen.
>
> I would expect the "." to disappear so that other highlighting could
> take effect after I'm done with the article.  Is this possible?

Add a function to `gnus-mark-article-hook' that removes the unseen
mark when you select an article.

I'm not sure the behaviour you suggest should be the default, with the
current system you can separate articles you have read in the current
summary buffer ("R.") from articles you read before ("R ").  If
articles are marked as unseen directly when you read them ("R "), you
lose that option.