* the gnus-newsgroup-unseen mark is too sticky
@ 2002-02-26 14:02 Bill White
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Bill White @ 2002-02-26 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

(defvar gnus-newsgroup-unseen nil
  "List of unseen articles in the current newsgroup.")

I'm not sure of the philosophy of "unseen" messages, but there is one
instance when this feature doesn't DWIM.  Say I have a Summary buffer
with some unseen messages, which are marked with ".".  I go to one of
these messages and select it, mark it as read, delete it, whatever.
The "." is still there, when it is really no longer "unseen".

Why is this an issue, you ask?  Well, I have code that highlights
unseen messages with a special face:

(defface gnus-summary-unseen-face
  '((((class color))
     (:foreground "gold" :background "black")))
  "Face used for unseen (.-marked) articles.")

(require 'gnus-sum)
(require 'cl)

(pushnew '((memq (gnus-summary-article-number)
		 gnus-newsgroup-unseen)
	   . gnus-summary-unseen-face)
	 gnus-summary-highlight)

After I read one of these nicely-colored unseen messages, the "."
mark still lingers so the function that highlights a line thinks it's
still unseen.

I would expect the "." to disappear so that other highlighting could
take effect after I'm done with the article.  Is this possible?

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: the gnus-newsgroup-unseen mark is too sticky
@ 2002-02-26 16:53 ` Harry Putnam
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-02-26 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> (defface gnus-summary-unseen-face
>   '((((class color))
>      (:foreground "gold" :background "black")))
>   "Face used for unseen (.-marked) articles.")
>
> (require 'gnus-sum)
> (require 'cl)
>
> (pushnew '((memq (gnus-summary-article-number)
> 		 gnus-newsgroup-unseen)
> 	   . gnus-summary-unseen-face)
> 	 gnus-summary-highlight)

How can that be rewritten so that it hylights messages scored above a
certain score?

From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-02-26 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-02-26 18:17 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-02-26 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> (defvar gnus-newsgroup-unseen nil
>   "List of unseen articles in the current newsgroup.")
>
> I'm not sure of the philosophy of "unseen" messages, but there is one
> instance when this feature doesn't DWIM.  Say I have a Summary buffer
> with some unseen messages, which are marked with ".".  I go to one of
> these messages and select it, mark it as read, delete it, whatever.
> The "." is still there, when it is really no longer "unseen".
>
> Why is this an issue, you ask?  Well, I have code that highlights
> unseen messages with a special face:

> (defface gnus-summary-unseen-face
>   '((((class color))
>      (:foreground "gold" :background "black")))
>   "Face used for unseen (.-marked) articles.")
>
> (require 'gnus-sum)
> (require 'cl)
>
> (pushnew '((memq (gnus-summary-article-number)
> 		 gnus-newsgroup-unseen)
> 	   . gnus-summary-unseen-face)
> 	 gnus-summary-highlight)
>
> After I read one of these nicely-colored unseen messages, the "."
> mark still lingers so the function that highlights a line thinks it's
> still unseen.
>
> I would expect the "." to disappear so that other highlighting could
> take effect after I'm done with the article.  Is this possible?

Add a function to `gnus-mark-article-hook' that removes the unseen
mark when you select an article.

I'm not sure the behaviour you suggest should be the default, with the
current system you can separate articles you have read in the current
summary buffer ("R.") from articles you read before ("R ").  If
articles are marked as unseen directly when you read them ("R "), you
lose that option.

* Re: the gnus-newsgroup-unseen mark is too sticky
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-26 18:17 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-02-26 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2002-02-27  4:31   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-02-27  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Tue Feb 26 2002 at 10:53, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> said:

> Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
>
>> (defface gnus-summary-unseen-face
>>   '((((class color))
>>      (:foreground "gold" :background "black")))
>>   "Face used for unseen (.-marked) articles.")
>>
>> (require 'gnus-sum)
>> (require 'cl)
>>
>> (pushnew '((memq (gnus-summary-article-number)
>> 		 gnus-newsgroup-unseen)
>> 	   . gnus-summary-unseen-face)
>> 	 gnus-summary-highlight)
>
> How can that be rewritten so that it hylights messages scored above
> a certain score?

I think this would do it, but I don't use scoring so I haven't tested
it.  See the docs for the variable gnus-summary-highlight

(defface gnus-summary-my-score-face
  '((((class color))
     (:foreground "gold" :background "black")))
  "Face used for articles whose score is > 123.")

(require 'gnus-sum)
(require 'cl)

(pushnew '((> score 123) . gnus-summary-my-score-face)
	 gnus-summary-highlight)

Cheers -

bw

From: Bill White @ 2002-02-27  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2002-02-27  6:15     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-02-27  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> (defface gnus-summary-my-score-face
>   '((((class color))
>      (:foreground "gold" :background "black")))
>   "Face used for articles whose score is > 123.")
>
> (require 'gnus-sum)
> (require 'cl)
>
> (pushnew '((> score 123) . gnus-summary-my-score-face)
> 	 gnus-summary-highlight)

Thanks Bill, for the sample code and pointer.  I don't think I would
have got it right from the documenation on gnus-summary-highlight with
out some example code though.

From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-02-27  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-02-27 16:46   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-02-27 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue Feb 26 2002 at 12:17, Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> said:

> Add a function to `gnus-mark-article-hook' that removes the unseen
> mark when you select an article.

Thanks - I'll look into that.

> I'm not sure the behaviour you suggest should be the default, with
> the current system you can separate articles you have read in the
> current summary buffer ("R.") from articles you read before ("R ").

How do I do that?  A quick trawl through the manual didn't reveal the
method.  '/ m' (gnus-summary-limit-to-marks) with an argument of
\. didn't limit to unseen articles.

Cheers -

bw

From: Bill White @ 2002-02-27 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-02-27 17:45     ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-02-27 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed Feb 27 2002 at 10:46, Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> said:

> On Tue Feb 26 2002 at 12:17, Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> said:
>
>> Add a function to `gnus-mark-article-hook' that removes the unseen
>> mark when you select an article.
>
> Thanks - I'll look into that.

This handles the re-highlighting after I do something that *selects*
the article:

(defun my-remove-article-from-unseen ()
  (setq gnus-newsgroup-unseen
	(delq article gnus-newsgroup-unseen)))

(add-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook 'my-remove-article-from-unseen)

It doesn't visually remove the unseen mark symbol ".", but that's not
important for me.  Also, this has no effect if I do something that
doesn't select the article, like marking by hand with 'd'.  All in
all, it does about 90% of WIM.

Now that I've played around with this, I think limiting to unseens
would be more effective than highlighting unseens.  It would focus my
attention on them better and it would probably be a cleaner way to do
this, but I can't find a way to limit like that.

Any hints on limiting to unseen?  Hey - how about a dedicated key,
like '/ .' and a related function that could be run automatically upon
entering a group?

Cheers -

bw

From: Bill White @ 2002-02-27 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-02-28 12:35       ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-02-28 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed Feb 27 2002 at 11:45, Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> said:

> This handles the re-highlighting after I do something that *selects*
> the article:

> (defun my-remove-article-from-unseen ()
>   (setq gnus-newsgroup-unseen
> 	(delq article gnus-newsgroup-unseen)))
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-mark-article-hook 'my-remove-article-from-unseen)

But this also removes the unseen mark, and does things the right way:

(defun my-remove-article-from-unseen ()
  (setq gnus-newsgroup-unseen
	(delq gnus-current-article gnus-newsgroup-unseen))
  (gnus-summary-update-secondary-mark gnus-current-article))

From: Bill White @ 2002-02-28 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)