* Re: [Wishlist?] Removing the "nnfolder:"-prefix?
       [not found] <wtnn0xrqjuk.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
@ 2002-03-02 12:05 ` Karl Kleinpaste
                     ` (4 more replies)
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-03-02 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:
> Wouldn't it be nice if one didn't need to have prefixes like "nnfolder:"
> in the Group-buffer?

Yes, but it's next to impossible.

If you read gnu.emacs.gnus, and you archive interesting bits of that
group to nnfolder:gnu.emacs.gnus, obviously some mechanism is needed
by which to differentiate them.

> Is it possible to implement a way of getting Gnus to know where the
> groups is coming from and getting rid of the (sort of) ad hoc method
> of using the group name for that?

I wouldn't call it /ad hoc/.

If what concerns you is the visual ugliness of the full reference in
*Group*, I suggest "%G" in gnus-group-line-format (instead of "%g"),
which will cause all groups to display without their qualifiers.
However, you will still have to reference secondary method groups with
qualifiers.

Also, depending on your mail /vs/ news predilections, you might find
it useful to exchange primary-ness and secondary-ness:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnfolder "")
      gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news")))

However, be aware that this will have ramifications in any .gnus
personalizations which depend on group name matching.  E.g., you can
no longer
	(string-match "^some.group" gnus-newsgroup-name)
but will instead need to
	(string-match "^nntp\\+news:some.group" gnus-newsgroup-name)
and conversely, what currently matches as "^nnfolder:" will need to
operate without that prefix.

* Re: [Wishlist?] Removing the "nnfolder:"-prefix?
@ 2002-03-02 14:59   ` Andreas Fuchs
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2002-03-02 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> wrote:
> Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:
>> Wouldn't it be nice if one didn't need to have prefixes like
>> "nnfolder:" in the Group-buffer?
>
> Yes, but it's next to impossible.

Sorry, but my *Group* buffer looks like this:

--- cut ---
[ Gnus -- 6198 ]
  [ Mail -- 3906 ]
 *    0 u   10 t   Mailbox
      1 u    1 t   ntknow
%    36 u    0 t   newsticker
--- cut ---

I don't know if that is what jonas wanted, but I get this behaviour via
`gnus-group-line-format': "%m%M%S%4y u %4i t %P%G%O		%D\n"

If Jonas seeks for shorthands for groups, I don't know how to get them,
either.

HTH,
--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, asf@jabber.at, antifuchs

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 231 bytes --]

* Re: [Wishlist?] Removing the "nnfolder:"-prefix?
@ 2002-03-02 14:59   ` Andreas Fuchs
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2002-03-02 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-02 18:15   ` Paul Jarc
       [not found]   ` <wtn4rjzoxy5.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-03-02 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> wrote:
> Also, depending on your mail /vs/ news predilections, you might find
> it useful to exchange primary-ness and secondary-ness:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnfolder "")
>       gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news")))
>
> However, be aware that this will have ramifications in any .gnus
> personalizations which depend on group name matching.

As well as the contents of .newsrc.eld.

paul

* Re: [Wishlist?] Removing the "nnfolder:"-prefix?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-03-02 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-02 21:25     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-02 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> * Upon a "j gnu.emacs.gnus RET" command (using your example of mail
>   and news for the same group) Gnus find that there are two groups
>   with the same name and ask which to use.

Oh, no.  This would be so different from the way that the rest of
Emacs works.  I don't know how to explain it, but it just feels wrong.

When you hit C-x C-f and enter a filename, Emacs doesn't ask you
either which file you meant.  (Actually, the completion facility is a
way to do that, but your suggestion circumvents the completion
facility.)

kai
--
Silence is foo!

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-02 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-02 21:36       ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-03-02 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
> Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:
>> * Upon a "j gnu.emacs.gnus RET" command (using your example of mail
>>   and news for the same group) Gnus find that there are two groups
>>   with the same name and ask which to use.
> (Actually, the completion facility is a way to do that, but your
> suggestion circumvents the completion facility.)

The server part could be moved to the end of the group name to make
this work.  A command could get the list of normally qualified group
names, reverse the qualifications, prompt for a name from that list,
re-reverse the qualification, and then hand the resulting group name
to gnus-group-jump-to-group.

paul

From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-03-02 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-03-02 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)