* Re: Update to CVS breaks for me
       [not found] <87zo1l1qgk.fsf@delphi.lan-ks.de>
@ 2002-03-06 18:57 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-03-06 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

That looks like something hosed down your overviews.  Run M-x
nnml-generate-nov-databases-1 on the group in question.

* Re: Update to CVS breaks for me
       [not found]       ` <87y9h3f1p7.fsf@delphi.lan-ks.de>
@ 2002-03-09  1:48         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-03-09  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org> writes:

> But why did it break, and why couldn't I find any hint with
> gnus-verbose set to 9?  For now it is fixed for me, but the error
> message has *not* helped in finding the problem - which I consider a
> bug.

You didn't say if regenerating the nov files did any good.

Like this: M-x generate-nov-data-bases-1 <RET> /path/to/mail.misc-2002

If you don't have long filenames enabled that will be
~/Mail/mail/misc-2002

Other wise:
~/Mail/mail.misc-2002

If it asks you to create a group.  Something is wrong.  Find that
group on your file system and give its full name at the prompt.

You could also delete or rename .overview in that group first.

Looking at your output somemore.. I don't ever see output like that:
Fetching headers for nnml+private:mail.misc-2002...

I never see anything about fetching headers on nnml groups in
*Messages* on startup or any other time.  Only on agentized newsgoups.

You didn't some how get that nnml server under the agent did you?
Depending on your version, you might be able to tell by looking in
server buffer (^) and see if you see (agent) next to it.

From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-03-09  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found]   ` <87wuwplboq.fsf@delphi.lan-ks.de>
@ 2002-03-07  5:05     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-03-07  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  Karl> That looks like something hosed down your overviews.  Run M-x
>  Karl> nnml-generate-nov-databases-1 on the group in question.
>
> That asks me for a directory for that group that I had to create
> (other nnml-Groups seem to use ~/News/cache/nnml...) - but no change.
> I get these messages for nntp groups too, but only in CVS-Gnus.  Going
> back to 0.05 is fine.  For what it's worth, gnus-nov-is-evil is nil.

It wants to know where you want it to run.  The group in your output
was: nnml+private:mail.misc-2002

No nnml groups should be using  ~/News/cache/nnml...  I think
something is wrong there.  In fact nnml should probably be excluded
from being cacheable since it is already on disk.  With something like
(setq gnus-uncacheable-groups "^nnml")

But before changing any settings, I think you may need to remove
anything under ~/News/cache/nnml including the nnml.  And check any
active file you find there.  Possibly removing any nnml groups listed
in it. But before doing so please investigate what is there and make a
copy.

Another step might be to save .gnus to .gnus_orig and strip all
comments out of the one you are actually using until you get this
resolved.

I got lost after the first 100 lines or so.  But then I'm not lisp
literate either.

For what its worth, I compiled the most recent cvs a few hours ago and
don't see this problem.

From: Harry Putnam @ 2002-03-07  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-03-06 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)