* info issue
@ 2001-11-01 21:14 Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2001-11-01 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

The info says the following:

|Gnus, by default, handles all its groups using the same approach.  This
|approach is very newsreaderly--you enter a group, see the new/unread
|messages, and when you read the messages, they get marked as read, and
|you don't see them any more.  (Unless you explicitly ask for them.)
|
|In particular, you do not do anything explicitly to delete messages.
|
|Does this mean that all the messages that have been marked as read are
|deleted?  How awful!
|
|But, no, it means that old messages are "expired" according to some
|scheme or other.  For news messages, the expire process is controlled by
|the news administrator; for mail, the expire process is controlled by
|you.  The expire process for mail is covered in depth in *Note Expiring
|Mail::.
|___________________________________________________________________________

This is AFAIK unclear. I'd change it to:

Does this mean that all the messages that have been marked as read are
deleted?  How awful!

But no. It means, that mails which are old are deleted, but only after
you allowed Gnus to do so for this specific message or all messages in
one specific group. This is somehow similar to the expire processes on a
newsserver and so we call this expiring, too.
The expire process for mail is covered in depth...

P.S. I'm talking about the node
"Select methods"->"getting mail"->"mail in a newsreader"

P.P.S I love the last paragraph of this node.

P.P.P.S I love my hamster (my local newsserver) because I can edit
my message even after I told gnus to send it.

P.P.P.P.S That's a hell of P's, isn't it?

P.P.P.P.P.S I frighten that the lines header isn't valid anymore.

P.P.P.P.P.P.S I corrected it now.

P.P.P.P.P.P.P.S Damned, broken again! (Do you now recursion?)

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-11-01 21:14 UTC | newest]