* `W D W' should now work again
@ 2010-11-15 23:49 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-15 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I just added displayer callbacks to the URLs from shr and gnus-html,
which seems clean enough(ish)...

* Re: `W D W' should now work again
@ 2010-11-16  5:59 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-11-16  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> I just added displayer callbacks to the URLs from shr and gnus-html,
> which seems clean enough(ish)...

I hope cid images are also controlled by *-blocked-images.  It is
because I often face html messages containing cid images, that are
useless except for a few cases.

As for shr.el, I tried putting it into practice.  A patch is below.
With setting shr-blocked-images to "", `W D W' becomes very useful.
In that case, `g' is the command for turning images off again.

It seems somewhat troublesome to make gnus-html.el work similarly.

[-- Attachment #2: shr.el.patch.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 896 bytes --]

* Re: `W D W' should now work again
@ 2010-11-16 16:20   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-16 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> I hope cid images are also controlled by *-blocked-images.  It is
> because I often face html messages containing cid images, that are
> useless except for a few cases.
>
> As for shr.el, I tried putting it into practice.  A patch is below.
> With setting shr-blocked-images to "", `W D W' becomes very useful.
> In that case, `g' is the command for turning images off again.

Hm...  I'm not sure, actually.  The main reason for *-blocked-images is
for privacy reasons.  cid: images have no privacy impact, so they fall
slightly outside the use case for *-blocked-images.

So there needs to be a way to say "no external images, but cid: is
fine", too.

* Re: `W D W' should now work again
@ 2010-11-16 23:48     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-11-16 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>> I hope cid images are also controlled by *-blocked-images.  It is
>> because I often face html messages containing cid images, that are
>> useless except for a few cases.
>>
>> As for shr.el, I tried putting it into practice.  A patch is below.
>> With setting shr-blocked-images to "", `W D W' becomes very useful.
>> In that case, `g' is the command for turning images off again.

> Hm...  I'm not sure, actually.  The main reason for *-blocked-images is
> for privacy reasons.  cid: images have no privacy impact, so they fall
> slightly outside the use case for *-blocked-images.

You're right.  *-blocked-images is indeed an option not for
switching displaying images.

> So there needs to be a way to say "no external images, but cid: is
> fine", too.

But I sometimes face indecent images unexpectedly, so I always
have to mind someone is not behind me. ;-p  How about making
`shr-inhibit-images' a user option (and also introducing the
`gnus-html-inhibit-images' user option)?  In that case, shr.el
and gnus-html.el need to be modified so that `W D W' may show
cid images as well.

* Re: `W D W' should now work again
@ 2010-11-17  0:10       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-17  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> But I sometimes face indecent images unexpectedly, so I always
> have to mind someone is not behind me. ;-p  How about making
> `shr-inhibit-images' a user option (and also introducing the
> `gnus-html-inhibit-images' user option)?  In that case, shr.el
> and gnus-html.el need to be modified so that `W D W' may show
> cid images as well.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea.  Perhaps it should just be
`gnus-inhibit-images'?  And it could be used to inhibit inlining MIME
images, too?  A master switch saying "no images automatically for me",
sort of,

* Re: `W D W' should now work again
@ 2010-11-17  2:40         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-11-17  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Yes, that sounds like a good idea.  Perhaps it should just be
> `gnus-inhibit-images'?  And it could be used to inhibit inlining MIME
> images, too?  A master switch saying "no images automatically for me",
> sort of,

That's good.  I'm going to try it.  As for shr.el, perhaps it
will be achieved by making `mm-shr' make `shr-inhibit-images'
buffer-local and inherit the value of `gnus-inhibit-images'.

* Re: `W D W' should now work again
@ 2010-11-17  7:19           ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-11-17  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> Yes, that sounds like a good idea.  Perhaps it should just be
>> `gnus-inhibit-images'?  And it could be used to inhibit inlining MIME
>> images, too?  A master switch saying "no images automatically for me",
>> sort of,

> That's good.  I'm going to try it.

I've added the new user option `gnus-inhibit-images'.  Currently
it is effective to MIME images and html images that shr renders.
Maybe it is not necessary for Gravatars, Faces, Picons, Smileys,
and X-Faces to be controlled by `gnus-inhibit-images'.
As for gnus-html, it will take more time to implement it.

> As for shr.el, perhaps it
> will be achieved by making `mm-shr' make `shr-inhibit-images'
> buffer-local and inherit the value of `gnus-inhibit-images'.

It was unnecessary to make it buffer-local.