From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: cannot get all of mail from local file
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 16:12:57 +0900	[thread overview]

> Hi, I use No Gnun v0.6 to read my mails fetched to a local file by
> fetchmail program. After I changed to another system(I re-installed the
> software, but use my old config), I got a strange problem.

> I configed gnus load the mails from local disk when it starts. But If I
> start it for the first time, I mean the gnus needs to load some .el file
> from disk, it cannot load all my mails(I had a system monitor which told
> me the right number of new mail), while the *Messages* buffer shows that
> "nnml: Reading incoming mail (xx new)...done", and this is the right
> number.

> Then I had two options, one is press 'g' on group buffer, gnus tells me
> there's no new message. The not-shown messages had gone. The other is
> hit 'q' there, and then restart gnus, I can have all my new messages
> shown in the groups.

> I don't how to make it correct, or to debug. could someone give me a
> clue? Thanks.

I don't see what happens in your system.  But old tricks I'll do
in such a case for the nnml groups are:

1.
Run the `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET' command to rebuild
the NOV files (you can find them as ~/Mail/GroupName/.overview).
It is harmless but will take time.  To rebuild a NOV file per
group, use `nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory' instead.
In the later case, you need to enter a directory name like
~/Mail/GroupName/.

The next one might not need to perform.
\f
2.
Remove manually the nnml marks files, that you can find as

~/Mail/GroupName/.marks

in each nnml group.  Those files will be rebuilt automatically
based on the records having been saved in the newsrc database
when Gnus accesses the groups.  But please note that you may
possibly lose the marks, moreover the articles.  For instance,
if you've configured the group to be expirable, the old ticked
articles in the group might be expired if those tick marks are
lost for some reason.  To prevent such a trouble, make sure
those articles are definitely marked when you first enter the
group.  Expiring articles will be done when you exit the group.