From: ssSslang <sssslang@163.com>
To: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: cannot get all of mail from local file
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:01:23 +0800	[thread overview]

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Hi, I use No Gnun v0.6 to read my mails fetched to a local file by
>> fetchmail program. After I changed to another system(I re-installed the
>> software, but use my old config), I got a strange problem.
>
>> I configed gnus load the mails from local disk when it starts. But If I
>> start it for the first time, I mean the gnus needs to load some .el file
>> from disk, it cannot load all my mails(I had a system monitor which told
>> me the right number of new mail), while the *Messages* buffer shows that
>> "nnml: Reading incoming mail (xx new)...done", and this is the right
>> number.
>
>> Then I had two options, one is press 'g' on group buffer, gnus tells me
>> there's no new message. The not-shown messages had gone. The other is
>> hit 'q' there, and then restart gnus, I can have all my new messages
>> shown in the groups.
>
>> I don't how to make it correct, or to debug. could someone give me a
>> clue? Thanks.
>
> I don't see what happens in your system.  But old tricks I'll do
> in such a case for the nnml groups are:
>
> 1.
> Run the `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET' command to rebuild
> the NOV files (you can find them as ~/Mail/GroupName/.overview).
> It is harmless but will take time.  To rebuild a NOV file per
> group, use `nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory' instead.
> In the later case, you need to enter a directory name like
> ~/Mail/GroupName/.
>
> The next one might not need to perform.
> \f
> 2.
> Remove manually the nnml marks files, that you can find as
>
> ~/Mail/GroupName/.marks
>
> in each nnml group.  Those files will be rebuilt automatically
> based on the records having been saved in the newsrc database
> when Gnus accesses the groups.  But please note that you may
> possibly lose the marks, moreover the articles.  For instance,
> if you've configured the group to be expirable, the old ticked
> articles in the group might be expired if those tick marks are
> lost for some reason.  To prevent such a trouble, make sure
> those articles are definitely marked when you first enter the
> group.  Expiring articles will be done when you exit the group.

I tried both of the two methods, but I still cannot solve the problem.
To describe it well, I recorded my screen to here:

for online view: http://sssslang.8tt.org/pubfiles/gnus/index.html

for better quality(download then view use mplayer):
http://sssslang.8tt.org/pubfiles/gnus/gnus_ogg

First, program notified me there are 13 new mails, then I start gnus,
but find it displays only 9. I checked the *Message* buffer. It should
be 13. Then I quit gnus and open it again, it shows 13 again :-/. But if
I enter a group and read some message before quit, the non-displayed
messages are gone.

I'm afraid my message will be lost. But I really like using Gnus. Now I
changed from no Gnus to Gnus 5.11, the problem still exist. Could
someone can help me? PLEASE.

--
ssSslang