* cannot get all of mail from local file
@ 2007-09-19  4:54 ssSslang
From: ssSslang @ 2007-09-19  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi, I use No Gnun v0.6 to read my mails fetched to a local file by
fetchmail program. After I changed to another system(I re-installed the
software, but use my old config), I got a strange problem.

I configed gnus load the mails from local disk when it starts. But If I
start it for the first time, I mean the gnus needs to load some .el file
from disk, it cannot load all my mails(I had a system monitor which told
me the right number of new mail), while the *Messages* buffer shows that
"nnml: Reading incoming mail (xx new)...done", and this is the right
number.

Then I had two options, one is press 'g' on group buffer, gnus tells me
there's no new message. The not-shown messages had gone. The other is
hit 'q' there, and then restart gnus, I can have all my new messages
shown in the groups.

I don't how to make it correct, or to debug. could someone give me a
clue? Thanks.

--
ssSslang

* Re: cannot get all of mail from local file
@ 2007-09-19  7:12 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-09-19  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hi, I use No Gnun v0.6 to read my mails fetched to a local file by
> fetchmail program. After I changed to another system(I re-installed the
> software, but use my old config), I got a strange problem.

> I configed gnus load the mails from local disk when it starts. But If I
> start it for the first time, I mean the gnus needs to load some .el file
> from disk, it cannot load all my mails(I had a system monitor which told
> me the right number of new mail), while the *Messages* buffer shows that
> "nnml: Reading incoming mail (xx new)...done", and this is the right
> number.

> Then I had two options, one is press 'g' on group buffer, gnus tells me
> there's no new message. The not-shown messages had gone. The other is
> hit 'q' there, and then restart gnus, I can have all my new messages
> shown in the groups.

> I don't how to make it correct, or to debug. could someone give me a
> clue? Thanks.

I don't see what happens in your system.  But old tricks I'll do
in such a case for the nnml groups are:

1.
Run the `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET' command to rebuild
the NOV files (you can find them as ~/Mail/GroupName/.overview).
It is harmless but will take time.  To rebuild a NOV file per
group, use `nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory' instead.
In the later case, you need to enter a directory name like
~/Mail/GroupName/.

The next one might not need to perform.
\f
2.
Remove manually the nnml marks files, that you can find as

~/Mail/GroupName/.marks

in each nnml group.  Those files will be rebuilt automatically
based on the records having been saved in the newsrc database
when Gnus accesses the groups.  But please note that you may
possibly lose the marks, moreover the articles.  For instance,
if you've configured the group to be expirable, the old ticked
articles in the group might be expired if those tick marks are
lost for some reason.  To prevent such a trouble, make sure
those articles are definitely marked when you first enter the
group.  Expiring articles will be done when you exit the group.

* Re: cannot get all of mail from local file
@ 2007-09-21 14:18   ` ssSslang
From: ssSslang @ 2007-09-21 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> I don't see what happens in your system.  But old tricks I'll do
> in such a case for the nnml groups are:

sorry for my poor English, maybe I cannot describe it well.

> 1.
> Run the `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET' command to rebuild
> the NOV files (you can find them as ~/Mail/GroupName/.overview).
> It is harmless but will take time.  To rebuild a NOV file per
> group, use `nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory' instead.
> In the later case, you need to enter a directory name like
> ~/Mail/GroupName/.
>
> The next one might not need to perform.
> \f
> 2.
> Remove manually the nnml marks files, that you can find as
>
> ~/Mail/GroupName/.marks
>
> in each nnml group.  Those files will be rebuilt automatically
> based on the records having been saved in the newsrc database
> when Gnus accesses the groups.  But please note that you may
> possibly lose the marks, moreover the articles.  For instance,
> if you've configured the group to be expirable, the old ticked
> articles in the group might be expired if those tick marks are
> lost for some reason.  To prevent such a trouble, make sure
> those articles are definitely marked when you first enter the
> group.  Expiring articles will be done when you exit the group.

I did the above two method, but seems it doesn't work.

My problem is that: when enter gnus with new mail for the first time,
gnus doesn't report the right number of new messages in the group
buffer(the messages buffer show the correct number). e.g. sometimes a
group with new mail will not appear(I configure gnus show the groups
only have new message) in the group buffer, other ones with less(seems)
new messages stand there. Then I quit gnus and start it again, the
disappeared group which has new messages now appear. Now I'm confused.
--

@ 2007-10-13  6:01   ` ssSslang
From: ssSslang @ 2007-10-13  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

>> Hi, I use No Gnun v0.6 to read my mails fetched to a local file by
>> fetchmail program. After I changed to another system(I re-installed the
>> software, but use my old config), I got a strange problem.
>
>> I configed gnus load the mails from local disk when it starts. But If I
>> start it for the first time, I mean the gnus needs to load some .el file
>> from disk, it cannot load all my mails(I had a system monitor which told
>> me the right number of new mail), while the *Messages* buffer shows that
>> "nnml: Reading incoming mail (xx new)...done", and this is the right
>> number.
>
>> Then I had two options, one is press 'g' on group buffer, gnus tells me
>> there's no new message. The not-shown messages had gone. The other is
>> hit 'q' there, and then restart gnus, I can have all my new messages
>> shown in the groups.
>
>> I don't how to make it correct, or to debug. could someone give me a
>> clue? Thanks.
>
> I don't see what happens in your system.  But old tricks I'll do
> in such a case for the nnml groups are:
>
> 1.
> Run the `M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET' command to rebuild
> the NOV files (you can find them as ~/Mail/GroupName/.overview).
> It is harmless but will take time.  To rebuild a NOV file per
> group, use `nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory' instead.
> In the later case, you need to enter a directory name like
> ~/Mail/GroupName/.
>
> The next one might not need to perform.
> \f
> 2.
> Remove manually the nnml marks files, that you can find as
>
> ~/Mail/GroupName/.marks
>
> in each nnml group.  Those files will be rebuilt automatically
> based on the records having been saved in the newsrc database
> when Gnus accesses the groups.  But please note that you may
> possibly lose the marks, moreover the articles.  For instance,
> if you've configured the group to be expirable, the old ticked
> articles in the group might be expired if those tick marks are
> lost for some reason.  To prevent such a trouble, make sure
> those articles are definitely marked when you first enter the
> group.  Expiring articles will be done when you exit the group.

I tried both of the two methods, but I still cannot solve the problem.
To describe it well, I recorded my screen to here:

for online view: http://sssslang.8tt.org/pubfiles/gnus/index.html

for better quality(download then view use mplayer):
http://sssslang.8tt.org/pubfiles/gnus/gnus_ogg

First, program notified me there are 13 new mails, then I start gnus,
but find it displays only 9. I checked the *Message* buffer. It should
be 13. Then I quit gnus and open it again, it shows 13 again :-/. But if
I enter a group and read some message before quit, the non-displayed
messages are gone.

I'm afraid my message will be lost. But I really like using Gnus. Now I
changed from no Gnus to Gnus 5.11, the problem still exist. Could
someone can help me? PLEASE.

--
ssSslang