* gnus-.*-url ignore browse-url-new-window-p
@ 1998-11-23 19:44 David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1998-11-23 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had this problem eons ago.  Clicking on a URL button calls eventually
calls browse-url-netscape like I want, but doesn't cause it to pop up
a new navigator window.  At that time I used tm, and I had to hack tm
to make it work.  I reported it as a bug and I *thought* my fixes made
it into tm-7.106 but I could be misremembering.  Anyway, they
definitely didn't make it into the tm shipped with xemacs.  However
today I (finally!) installed pgnus 0.53 and stopped using tm.  Sure
enough, I've got that same problem.  My `fix' was to defadvice
gnus-button-url and gnus-button-embedded-url to honor
browse-url-new-window-p.  I think it would be nice to have that simple
change made to the source, though.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/emacs-lisp, Size: 696 bytes --]

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 781-271-3887
Email: dsg@mitre.org

* Re: gnus-.*-url ignore browse-url-new-window-p
@ 1998-11-24  7:45 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1998-11-24  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

David> I had this problem eons ago.  Clicking on a URL button calls
David> eventually calls browse-url-netscape like I want, but doesn't
David> cause it to pop up a new navigator window.  At that time I used
David> tm, and I had to hack tm to make it work.  I reported it as a
David> bug and I *thought* my fixes made it into tm-7.106 but I could
David> be misremembering.  Anyway, they definitely didn't make it into
David> the tm shipped with xemacs.  However today I (finally!)
David> installed pgnus 0.53 and stopped using tm.  Sure enough, I've
David> got that same problem.  My `fix' was to defadvice
David> gnus-button-url and gnus-button-embedded-url to honor
David> browse-url-new-window-p.  I think it would be nice to have that
David> simple change made to the source, though.

This is a bug of browse-url.el. Emacs 20.2 and XEmacs 20.4 face the
same problem. The version included in Emacs 20.3 has been fixed. How
about XEmacs 21?

--
Shenghuo

* Re: gnus-.*-url ignore browse-url-new-window-p
@ 1998-11-24 10:13   ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1998-11-24 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> This is a bug of browse-url.el. Emacs 20.2 and XEmacs 20.4 face the
> same problem. The version included in Emacs 20.3 has been fixed. How
> about XEmacs 21?

Not sure. I do not know what change you mean. You can check for
yourself at

http://cvs.xemacs.org/cgi-bin/cvswebp/libs/mail-lib/browse-url.el?rev=1.3

Jan