* Wide images displayed inline
@ 1998-09-11  5:50 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-11  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm reading Claritoons inline in Dinosaur XEmacs Gnus, but most of the
pictures are wider than the Emacs frame, which means that the right
hand side of the cartoons are chopped off, leaving them oddly
pointless.  And I can't seem to find a way to scroll a window with a
wide picture in it.

So

1) Is there a way to scroll these windows horizontally, and
2) If not, should these be displayed externally, and
3) If so, how does one know whether the images are going to
   be too wide?

* Re: Wide images displayed inline
@ 1998-09-11  9:01 ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1998-09-11  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> pointless.  And I can't seem to find a way to scroll a window with a
> wide picture in it.

You can. However you cannot scroll by sub glyph positions at the
moment. Maybe you can cheat by making a line just below that is
contains a lot of characters.

Try splitting the About XEmacs screen into two using C-x 3  to see
what I mean.

However I am sure you should really do that on purpose.
A similar problem (but without such a work around) exists for pictures
that are too high. This needs to be fixed in XEmacs, but don't hold
your breath.

> 1) Is there a way to scroll these windows horizontally, and

Only by cheating as above.

> 2) If not, should these be displayed externally,

IMHO it should still be aligned. However the user should ALWAYS
(picture too big or not) have the option to click on it (or use the
keyboard) and view it externally.

> 3) If so, how does one know whether the images are going to
>    be too wide?

Not sure. However I wouldn't bother with it. Just align it and let the
user view it externally if he wishes.

Jan

* Re: Wide images displayed inline
@ 1998-09-11  9:23   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-11  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> You can. However you cannot scroll by sub glyph positions at the
> moment. Maybe you can cheat by making a line just below that is
> contains a lot of characters.

The article buffer doesn't truncate lines, so I don't think that would
work either...  Long lines will just wrap.

> > 2) If not, should these be displayed externally,
>
> IMHO it should still be aligned. However the user should ALWAYS
> (picture too big or not) have the option to click on it (or use the
> keyboard) and view it externally.

Yup.  I forgot about that, so this is no crisis.  :-)

* Re: Wide images displayed inline
@ 1998-09-11 13:17   ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1998-09-11 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> However I am sure you should really do that on purpose.

I meant "NOT sure"

* Re: Wide images displayed inline
@ 1998-09-11 18:02     ` Jens Lautenbacher
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1998-09-11 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:
>
> > You can. However you cannot scroll by sub glyph positions at the
> > moment. Maybe you can cheat by making a line just below that is
> > contains a lot of characters.
>
> The article buffer doesn't truncate lines, so I don't think that would
> work either...  Long lines will just wrap.
>
> > > 2) If not, should these be displayed externally,
> >
> > IMHO it should still be aligned. However the user should ALWAYS
> > (picture too big or not) have the option to click on it (or use the
> > keyboard) and view it externally.
>
> Yup.  I forgot about that, so this is no crisis.  :-)

I was thinking that putting a space behinf the glyph would help, but
the non truncating may prevent that... but maybe not, as XEmacs
doesn't see this line for being too long (as it's still at column 1).

Tee Really Right Thing To Do IMHO is of course to call convert (from
Imagemagick) to present a scaled down version of the image just as
wide as the frame is.

	jtl

* Re: Wide images displayed inline
@ 1998-09-11 20:57       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-09-11 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Jens> Tee Really Right Thing To Do IMHO is of course to call convert
  Jens> (from Imagemagick) to present a scaled down version of the
  Jens> image just as wide as the frame is.

Why should one scale down the image if the user doesn't want it and
the editor has perfectly good horizontal and vertical scroll bars?
One should fix the editor, IMHO.

kai
--
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes

* Re: Wide images displayed inline
@ 1998-09-11 22:11         ` Jens Lautenbacher
From: Jens Lautenbacher @ 1998-09-11 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jens Lautenbacher, ding

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@amaunet.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   Jens> Tee Really Right Thing To Do IMHO is of course to call convert
>   Jens> (from Imagemagick) to present a scaled down version of the
>   Jens> image just as wide as the frame is.
>
> Why should one scale down the image if the user doesn't want it and
> the editor has perfectly good horizontal and vertical scroll bars?
> One should fix the editor, IMHO.

Because it would be a very nice thing anyway. even if it has perfectly
nice scollbars and such. which it hasn't. and will not for the
forseable future. let's face it, support for anything which needs to
take into account the real pixel width sucks.

jtl

* Re: Wide images displayed inline
@ 1998-09-12  4:54       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-12  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Lautenbacher <jens@tellux.de> writes:

> I was thinking that putting a space behinf the glyph would help, but
> the non truncating may prevent that... but maybe not, as XEmacs
> doesn't see this line for being too long (as it's still at column 1).

Ok; I'll try that.

> Tee Really Right Thing To Do IMHO is of course to call convert (from
> Imagemagick) to present a scaled down version of the image just as
> wide as the frame is.

That should, perhaps, also be an option.

* Re: Wide images displayed inline
@ 1998-09-12  8:45         ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-09-12  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   Jens> Tee Really Right Thing To Do IMHO is of course to call convert
>   Jens> (from Imagemagick) to present a scaled down version of the
>   Jens> image just as wide as the frame is.
>
> Why should one scale down the image if the user doesn't want it and
> the editor has perfectly good horizontal and vertical scroll bars?

One reason would be because the editor's horizontal and vertical
scroll bars are not perfectly good.

> One should fix the editor, IMHO.

I agree, FWIW.

--