* stand-alone version of MH's rcvstore? (using Gnus' one-message-per-file folders without full MH package)
@ 1996-08-12 14:43 Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 1996-08-12 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ulrich Drepper

Can anyone refer me to a stand-alone version of MH's rcvstore program
(maybe even written in Perl)?
It looks like that will be the only part of MH that I want to use
and since MH itself appears to have stopped evolving (FAQ is around
two years old) I don't want to have to deal with the ideosyncracies
(non-portability, (relative)pain-to-configure, etc.) of the full package.

Or maybe MH is actually being maintained and it's just that it's
not yet reflected in the FAQ?

Or, better yet, maybe there's a way to save in one-message-per-file
folders (i.e., gnus-summary-save-in-folder) without using rcvstore.

Thanks,
--
Jim Meyering (meyering@na-net.ornl.gov)
Texas Instruments, Dallas  TX

* Re: stand-alone version of MH's rcvstore? (using Gnus'  one-message-per-file folders without full MH package)
@ 1996-08-12 15:20 ` Ulrich Drepper
From: Ulrich Drepper @ 1996-08-12 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

From: Jim Meyering <meyering@asic.sc.ti.com>
Subject: stand-alone version of MH's rcvstore? (using Gnus' one-message-per-file folders without full MH package)
Date: 12 Aug 1996 09:43:15 -0500

> Can anyone refer me to a stand-alone version of MH's rcvstore program
> (maybe even written in Perl)?

I only have scan.pl (i.e., scan in Perl).  But you might want to
contact Kazu Yamamoto (the Mew author).  His plans included to write
replacements in Perl.

> Or maybe MH is actually being maintained and it's just that it's
> not yet reflected in the FAQ?

AFAIK MH is dead.

-- Uli
--------------.       drepper@cygnus.com  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper \    ,--------------------'   \  76149 Karlsruhe/Germany
Cygnus Support  `--'  drepper@gnu.ai.mit.edu  `------------------------

* Re: stand-alone version of MH's rcvstore? (using Gnus' one-message-per-file folders without full MH package)
@ 1996-08-12 18:05   ` Lance A. Brown
From: Lance A. Brown @ 1996-08-12 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: meyering, meyering, ding

Ulrich Drepper <drepper@myware.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:
>> Or maybe MH is actually being maintained and it's just that it's
>> not yet reflected in the FAQ?

> AFAIK MH is dead.

It is not quite dead.  MH 6.8.4 is in wide beta release right now.
Hopefully a general release will occur (someday).

At least 2 efforts have been made to jumpstart development of MH in
the alst year.  Neither has gotten very far due to lack of
communication.

--[Lance]

* Re: stand-alone version of MH's rcvstore? (using Gnus' one-message-per-file folders without full MH package)
@ 1996-08-15  9:18 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-08-15  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Ulrich Drepper

  Jim> Or, better yet, maybe there's a way to save in
  Jim> one-message-per-file folders (i.e.,
  Jim> gnus-summary-save-in-folder) without using rcvstore.

If you have a message in the foo group and you type "B m bar RET" that
message is moved to the bar group.  "B c bar RET" copies it to the bar
group.  This works regardless of the type of the group (except that
there are a few read-only types of groups which you cannot move nor
copy to, of course).

Thus, you can just "B m" or "B c" a message into an nnmh or nnml (or
nnfolder, or nnbabyl, or nnmbox) folder and everything will be fine.
No need for rcvstore or anything like that.

hth,
kai
--
What's a signature?

* Re: stand-alone version of MH's rcvstore? (using Gnus' one-message-per-file folders without full MH package)
@ 1996-08-15 12:37   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1996-08-15 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you have a message in the foo group and you type "B m bar RET"
> that message is moved to the bar group.  "B c bar RET" copies it to
> the bar group.

Except that B [mc] don't honor any desired message protection.
Imagine my surprise when I found a whole mess of mail messages with
644 perms instead of 600.  Fortunately all my folders were created
with MH so they still weren't accessible.  I've gone back to rcvstore
for now.  I don't expect B [mc] to read my .mh_profile for the
msg/folder-protect specs but it'd be nice if there was some sort of
hook available (as there is for splitting, btw) in which I could set
the umask before moving and reset it after.  I prefer to run Emacs
with my default umask.  It'd be even better if it were available for
mail group creation as well.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: stand-alone version of MH's rcvstore? (using Gnus' one-message-per-file folders without full MH package)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-15 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@linus.mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> Except that B [mc] don't honor any desired message protection.
> Imagine my surprise when I found a whole mess of mail messages with
> 644 perms instead of 600.

There should probably be an `nnmail-umask' variable.  I've added this
to the todo list.

* Re: stand-alone version of MH's rcvstore? (using Gnus' one-message-per-file folders without full MH package)
@ 1996-08-15 18:49       ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1996-08-15 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > dsg@linus.mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

 >> Except that B [mc] don't honor any desired message protection.
 >> Imagine my surprise when I found a whole mess of mail messages with
 >> 644 perms instead of 600.

 > There should probably be an `nnmail-umask' variable.  I've added this
 > to the todo list.

It seems like this could be done by placing advice around the right
function.

In general, I think it'd be nice to have a few experts on using advice
with gnus to achieve such things.  Then we just need an archive of
useful advice snippets.

I've always wanted to learn advice.  :)

--Paul

* Gnus Advice (was: stand-alone version of MH's rcvstore?)
@ 1996-08-15 21:07         ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1996-08-15 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

PF> In general, I think it'd be nice to have a few experts on using advice
PF> with gnus to achieve such things.  Then we just need an archive of
PF> useful advice snippets.

(I'll assume that was supposed to be "excerpts.")

I have used advice for a variety of things that frequently end up getting
made into functions/variables in Gnus.  However, one of my favorite pieces
of advice is one that changes the name of the signature file whenever I
insert the file into a document.

;; random insertion of .signature file
;; Thanks to Glenn R Coombs: glenn@prl.philips.co.uk
(defvar grc-signature-dir   "~/.sig/" "Location of random signatures.")
(defvar grc-signature-base  "sig" "Beginning of all the random signatures.")

(defadvice message-insert-signature (before random-mail-sig-ag act comp)
  "Change the value of message-signature-file each time
`message-insert-signature' is called."
  (let ((files (file-name-all-completions
                grc-signature-base (expand-file-name grc-signature-dir))))
    (if files (let ((file (nth (random (length files)) files)))
		(setq message-signature-file (concat grc-signature-dir file))
		))))

And another that plays with message.

(defadvice message-resend (around gnus-inews-news-advice act comp)
  "Turn off ispell-message when re-routing mail.  It is inappropriate to
spell check someone else's message."
  (let ((mail-send-hook (remove 'ispell-message mail-send-hook))
	)
    ad-do-it
    ))

--
   (      "Mmmmmm - coffee"               (
   ))     Jack Vinson                     ))