* gnus-registry.el on emacs-unicode-2 (Emacs 23) (was: [bug]Malformed -*- line)
       [not found]                               ` <m2ejtx79k4.fsf@eqiao.com>
@ 2006-09-27 14:43                                 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-09-27 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, ding

On Wed, Sep 27 2006, CHENG Gao wrote:

> I tried twice to report the problem to gmail.emacs.gnus.general and
> failed.

I think you mean gmane.emacs.gnus.general (aka <ding@gnus.org>).  Did
you reply to Gmane's confirmation request?  See
<http://gmane.org/faq.php>.

Then, the message might also be in the moderator's queue.

> It does not matter. I turned registry off. I can live with it.

Please report the problem on the Gnus list.  I don't know to which
part of the code you refer to here:

,----
| (set-text-properties (point-min) (point-max) nil)
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-registry.el on emacs-unicode-2 (Emacs 23) (was: [bug]Malformed -*- line)
@ 2006-09-27 14:55                                   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2006-09-27 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

*On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:43:22 +0200
* Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> I think you mean gmane.emacs.gnus.general (aka <ding@gnus.org>).  Did
> you reply to Gmane's confirmation request?  See
> <http://gmane.org/faq.php>.

Yes. Sorry for my typo. I did not receive gmane confirmation request. I
trust I had already passed it long time ago.

> Then, the message might also be in the moderator's queue.
Maybe it's the case.

> Please report the problem on the Gnus list.  I don't know to which
> part of the code you refer to here:
>
> ,----
> | (set-text-properties (point-min) (point-max) nil)
> `----
I think the better I wait for my messages to pass the moderation.
If you are interested, please 'A T' this message to read all messages in
 this thread.

* Re: gnus-registry.el on emacs-unicode-2 (Emacs 23) (was: [bug]Malformed
@ 2006-09-28  2:14                                   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-09-28  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: chenggao, ding

Reiner asked:

    Please report the problem on the Gnus list.  I don't know to which
    part of the code you refer to here:

    ,----
    | (set-text-properties (point-min) (point-max) nil)
    `----

Please send a diff -c file showing the change that you are suggesting.
That is the way to provide all necessary information.  You should
always use that method to show a proposed change.

* Re: gnus-registry text property removal question
       [not found]                                 ` <E1GSplm-0007OB-00@etlken>
@ 2006-09-28 14:35                                   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-09-28 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28 Sep 2006, handa@m17n.org wrote:

> In article <E1GSpdJ-0007Hs-00@etlken>, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:
>
>> In article <ur6xwbl6i.fsf@news.eqiao.com>, CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com>
>> 	writes:
>>> So if we change
>>> (set-text-properties (point-min) (point-max) nil)

>>> (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min) (point-max))
>
>>> it should work right?
>
>> No.
>
> It seems that you don't understand what I wrote repeatedly.
> Ok, I'll change my question.
>
> Gnus somehow gets the string
> "<buohd52j6iy.fsf@dhapc248.dev.necel.com>", and use it as an
> registry entry.  Please find where that string is built.  I
> guess Gnus uses buffer-substring to get it form some buffer.
> If you find that place, try to replace the function
> buffer-substring with buffer-substring-no-properties.

Gao is trying to help, but misunderstood your message.  I think I
understand: by the time the string is printed in the buffer, the text
properties have already been rendered as text.  I'll remove string
properties when I get strings into the registry, and for search
strings.

The gnus-registry actually gets the strings from the Gnus internal
data for an article, so it's not a single point where I can change the
code unfortunately.  I'll have to go through the library to make sure
properties are removed everywhere.

I'll put the fix into gnus-registry.el in the Gnus tree, and it will
make its way into the Emacs tree from there (I'll make sure it's
backported to Gnus 5.10).

Thanks for all your help, Handa-san :)

Ted

* Re: gnus-registry.el on emacs-unicode-2 (Emacs 23)
@ 2006-09-28 17:08                                     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-09-28 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, ding

On Thu, Sep 28 2006, CHENG Gao wrote:

[ ... in an unrelated thread: <news:m2wt7oc72j.fsf@eqiao.com>
  <http://thread.gmane.org/m2wt7oc72j.fsf@eqiao.com>.
  No trimming any quotes. ]

> I trust Gnus hashtb<->alist conversion functions have no problem.

Yes, my article on this was unrelated to your problem.

> I suspected function gnus-gnus-to-quick-newsrc-format is the culprit.
>
> As Handa said, # (blah blah ...) is representation of string with text
> properties.
> I had a test by removing all # and leave "0 40 (auto-composed nil)", and
> gnus registry works.
>
> In gnus-start.el function gnus-gnus-to-quick-newsrc-format line 2841
> ,----
> |            (print-readably t)
> `----
> I juct checked. At least in my Emacs 23 (06-9-15 cvs),

Could you please try if the problem also exists in Emacs 22 (trunk)?
As I understand from the previous messages, it only exists in
emacs-unicode-2 (Emacs 23).  Is this correct?  Then I could remove it
from the list of release-relevant bugs for Emacs 22
(admin/FOR-RELEASE).

> variable print-readably does not exist.

It exist in XEmacs; If it doesn't exist in Emacs, it is simply
ignored.  No problem.

I don't know about the rest of your questions:

> I nearly damaged my brain by reading code of prin1/princ/print.
>
> At last I think gnus-gnus-to-quick-newsrc-format should be ok. It does
> what it should do, even the result is bad.
>
> A silly question:
> If an entry in gnus-reristry-alist carries text-property, prin1 will
> print it as string and use # as quoting character. Is it right?
>
> If so, I think we need check all puthash (to gnus-registry-hashtb) in
> gnus-registry.el for unremoved text property.
>
> My knowledge is not adquate for real useful finding. Wish what I found
> can be a little useful to you.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-registry text property removal question
@ 2006-09-28 18:41                                     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-09-28 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28 Sep 2006, tzz@lifelogs.com wrote:

> The gnus-registry actually gets the strings from the Gnus internal
> data for an article, so it's not a single point where I can change the
> code unfortunately.  I'll have to go through the library to make sure
> properties are removed everywhere.
>
> I'll put the fix into gnus-registry.el in the Gnus tree, and it will
> make its way into the Emacs tree from there (I'll make sure it's
> backported to Gnus 5.10).

I comitted a change to gnus-util.el and gnus-registry.el that should
remove text properties for good from registry entries.  Please let me
know if you find problems; it worked for me over a few hours' usage.

The function gnus-registry-remove-alist-text-properties is
particularly ugly, as I haven't touched Emacs Lisp in a while.  If
anyone wants to improve it, please do.

Ted

* Re: gnus-registry.el on emacs-unicode-2 (Emacs 23)
@ 2006-09-28 18:43                                       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2006-09-28 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 28 Sep 2006, reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc wrote:

> Could you please try if the problem also exists in Emacs 22 (trunk)?
> As I understand from the previous messages, it only exists in
> emacs-unicode-2 (Emacs 23).  Is this correct?  Then I could remove it
> from the list of release-relevant bugs for Emacs 22
> (admin/FOR-RELEASE).

I think the problem will exist in any Emacs that has text properties.
Emacs 22 does, I believe.

Ted

* Re: gnus-registry.el on emacs-unicode-2 (Emacs 23)
@ 2006-09-29  3:09                                         ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2006-09-29  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

*On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:43:26 -0400
* Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> On 28 Sep 2006, reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc wrote:
>
>> Could you please try if the problem also exists in Emacs 22 (trunk)?
>> As I understand from the previous messages, it only exists in
>> emacs-unicode-2 (Emacs 23).  Is this correct?  Then I could remove it
>> from the list of release-relevant bugs for Emacs 22
>> (admin/FOR-RELEASE).
>
> I think the problem will exist in any Emacs that has text properties.
> Emacs 22 does, I believe.

I used Emacs 22 for long time with same setting, and this never
occurred. Maybe I am lucky.