* discussion: marking old articles
@ 1996-12-13  7:43 Wesley.Hardaker
From: Wesley.Hardaker @ 1996-12-13  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I mentioned to lars that I didn't know if this was appropriate or not:

You enter a newsgroup and have it show all articles.  Old ones
(previously dealt with) are marked with a 'O'.  As you browse through
them and read them, they get marked as 'R' again, which is nice as it
changes the fontification of the line and you can see the ones you
have read already.  However, it also marks them as 'R'ead which means
they will be scored again, unlike the 'O' articles...  (remember the
article was scored the first time it was read or caught up...)

Lars wanted me to post the thought here and see what other people
thought about it.  After having noticed this problem, I'm still
tempted just to leave it unless someone else feels strongly, as it is
nice to have them visibly marked as read when browsing old messages...

Wes

* Re: discussion: marking old articles
@ 1996-12-13  8:20 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-12-13  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wesley.Hardaker@sphys.unil.ch writes:

> However, it also marks them as 'R'ead which means
> they will be scored again, unlike the 'O' articles...

Do you mean adapted?  I think if an article is so interesting that you
read it multiple times, it _deserves_ to be counted twice.

* Re: discussion: marking old articles
@ 1996-12-13 10:37   ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 1996-12-13 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <rj20cu3leh.fsf@babbage.dina.kvl.dk>, Per Abrahamsen
<abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> Wesley.Hardaker@sphys.unil.ch writes:
>
> > However, it also marks them as 'R'ead which means
> > they will be scored again, unlike the 'O' articles...
>
> Do you mean adapted?  I think if an article is so interesting that you
> read it multiple times, it _deserves_ to be counted twice.

The way I use it, I do not think that this is always true.  The main
reason I will go back and re-read (using ^) is to check the context of
a quote in the article I am currently reading.  So, I would rather not
have it adapted scored again.

* Re: discussion: marking old articles
@ 1996-12-16 13:00 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-16 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"St. Suika Fenderson Roberts" <wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> writes:

> Being able to just reset marks to random other marks would be a really nifty
> thing.  Esp. if it followed process marks, num. arguments, etc.
>
> Thus one could look at a bunch of old articles, process mark them, hit the
> gnus-summary-change-mark keysequence, enter the mark one wants them to have,
> and poof!  the lot of them go from being marked with `R' to `O' or `E' or
> whatever ^_^

You can do that now with the process-marking commands and `M-&'.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re:  discussion: marking old articles
@ 1996-12-13 18:18 St. Suika Fenderson Roberts
From: St. Suika Fenderson Roberts @ 1996-12-13 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Lars wanted me to post the thought here and see what other people
>thought about it.  After having noticed this problem, I'm still
>tempted just to leave it unless someone else feels strongly, as it is
>nice to have them visibly marked as read when browsing old messages...

Being able to just reset marks to random other marks would be a really nifty
thing.  Esp. if it followed process marks, num. arguments, etc.

Thus one could look at a bunch of old articles, process mark them, hit the
gnus-summary-change-mark keysequence, enter the mark one wants them to have,
and poof!  the lot of them go from being marked with `R' to `O' or `E' or
whatever ^_^

This would be useful, I would think.  But then I would also really like it if
`gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable' followed the process mark ^_^

Thanks,
	Suika
--
                wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
Go??+ TB B15DBr(R)^1.5 c9(5)c++++ P6 M+ a- n+++ b+: H161 g- mA8+ w+