* Another IMAP speed issue
@ 2003-04-24 14:53 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2003-04-24 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I move or copy multiple messages between IMAP mailboxes, it seems
to take one or two seconds per message and barely use any network
bandwidth.  Most of the time I spend looking at a message that says
`Setting marks in <destination folder>'.  Is there some simple way to
speed this process up?

Many thanks in advance,
--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: Another IMAP speed issue
@ 2003-04-24 15:39 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-04-24 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:

> When I move or copy multiple messages between IMAP mailboxes, it seems
> to take one or two seconds per message and barely use any network
> bandwidth.  Most of the time I spend looking at a message that says
> `Setting marks in <destination folder>'.  Is there some simple way to
> speed this process up?

Start by getting more information on what is taking time; see the elp
discussion in the Troubleshooting section of the manual.

(Moving and deleting messages in IMAP folders take many seconds for
me, since the Agent seem to be expiring messages.  But copying is
fast.)

* Re: Another IMAP speed issue
@ 2003-04-24 16:28   ` Jody Klymak
From: Jody Klymak @ 2003-04-24 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hello,

> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
>> When I move or copy multiple messages between IMAP mailboxes, it seems
>> to take one or two seconds per message and barely use any network
>> bandwidth.  Most of the time I spend looking at a message that says
>> `Setting marks in <destination folder>'.  Is there some simple way to
>> speed this process up?
>
> Start by getting more information on what is taking time; see the elp
> discussion in the Troubleshooting section of the manual.
>
> (Moving and deleting messages in IMAP folders take many seconds for
> me, since the Agent seem to be expiring messages.  But copying is
> fast.)

I get this when gnus-summary-copy-article is used on 4 messages.
Takes ~20 seconds in real time.  However, I won't deny that it could
be my imap server.

I hope this doesn't autowrap:

Cheers,  Jody

Function Name                                                                  Call Count  Elapsed Time  Average Time
=============================================================================  ==========  ============  ============
gnus-summary-move-article                                                      1           19.329        19.329
gnus-summary-copy-article                                                      1           19.329        19.329
gnus-request-accept-article                                                    4           11.594        2.8985
gnus-completing-read-with-default                                              1           5.532         5.532
gnus-read-move-group-name                                                      1           5.532         5.532
gnus-request-set-mark                                                          4           2.1710000000  0.5427500000
gnus-topic-update-topic-line                                                   2           0.032         0.016
gnus-topic-update-topics-containing-group                                      1           0.016         0.016
gnus-topic-insert-topic-line                                                   2           0.016         0.008
gnus-prin1-to-string                                                           5           0.016         0.0032
gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group                                             1           0.016         0.016
gnus-group-update-group                                                        1           0.016         0.016
gnus-message                                                                   11          0.015         0.0013636363
gnus-group-topic-unread                                                        5           0.0           0.0
gnus-server-add-address                                                        3           0.0           0.0
gnus-mode-string-quote                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-agent-get-function                                                        79          0.0           0.0
gnus-set-mode-line                                                             1           0.0           0.0
gnus-visual-p                                                                  4           0.0           0.0
gnus-region-active-p                                                           2           0.0           0.0
gnus-backlog-buffer                                                            4           0.0           0.0
gnus-get-split-value                                                           1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-goto-group                                                          1           0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-find-groups                                                         2           0.0           0.0
gnus-replace-in-string                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-request-article-this-buffer                                               4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-topic-level                                                         2           0.0           0.0
gnus-find-method-for-group                                                     80          0.0           0.0
gnus-group-remove-mark                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-short-group-name                                                          1           0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-parent-topic                                                        15          0.0           0.0
gnus-group-set-info                                                            4           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-position-point                                                    19          0.0           0.0
gnus-group-set-parameter                                                       4           0.0           0.0
gnus-server-equal                                                              9           0.0           0.0
gnus-backlog-request-article                                                   4           0.0           0.0
gnus-parse-active                                                              1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-insert-group-line                                                   1           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-highlight-line-0                                                  4           0.0           0.0
gnus-server-opened                                                             2           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-group-name                                                          2           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-prefixed-name                                                       11          0.0           0.0
gnus-uncompress-range                                                          5           0.0           0.0
gnus-set-difference                                                            1           0.0           0.0
gnus-point-at-bol                                                              24          0.0           0.0
gnus-extent-start-open                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-highlight-line                                                    4           0.0           0.0
gnus-agent-method-p                                                            1           0.0           0.0
gnus-ephemeral-group-p                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-get-function                                                              77          0.0           0.0
gnus-backlog-setup                                                             4           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-update-secondary-mark                                             4           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-update-mark                                                       4           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-buffer-name                                                       1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-search-forward                                                      1           0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-goto-topic                                                          3           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-highlight-line                                                      1           0.0           0.0
gnus-update-alist-soft                                                         6           0.0           0.0
gnus-kill-all-overlays                                                         4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-remove-parameter                                                    4           0.0           0.0
gnus-valid-move-group-p                                                        73          0.0           0.0
gnus-virtual-group-p                                                           1           0.0           0.0
gnus-article-mark-to-type                                                      56          0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-find-topology                                                       9           0.0           0.0
gnus-check-server                                                              1           0.0           0.0
gnus-point-at-eol                                                              25          0.0           0.0
gnus-server-to-method                                                          5           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-method                                                              2           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-remove-process-mark                                               4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-name-charset                                                        3           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-set-article-display-arrow                                         12          0.0           0.0
gnus-remassoc                                                                  23          0.0           0.0
gnus-add-to-range                                                              4           0.0           0.0
gnus-remove-from-range                                                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-group-indentation                                                   2           0.0           0.0
gnus-activate-group                                                            1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-get-parameter                                                       7           0.0           0.0
gnus-methods-using                                                             9           0.0           0.0
gnus-buffer-live-p                                                             8           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-show-thread                                                       4           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-find-next                                                         4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-decoded-name                                                        2           0.0           0.0
gnus-remove-denial                                                             1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-mark-group                                                          1           0.0           0.0
gnus-put-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces                         1           0.0           0.0
gnus-agent-save-group-info                                                     1           0.0           0.0
gnus-get-unread-articles-in-group                                              1           0.0           0.0
gnus-compress-sequence                                                         14          0.0           0.0
gnus-group-set-mode-line                                                       6           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-insert-group-line-info                                              1           0.0           0.0
gnus-put-text-property                                                         3           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-goto-subject                                                      12          0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-update-unreads                                                      2           0.0           0.0
gnus-dribble-enter                                                             5           0.0           0.0
gnus-range-length                                                              1           0.0           0.0
gnus-goto-colon                                                                20          0.0           0.0
gnus-close-group                                                               1           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-timestamp-delta                                                     1           0.0           0.0
gnus-add-text-properties                                                       5           0.0           0.0
gnus-list-of-unread-articles                                                   4           0.0           0.0
gnus-online                                                                    79          0.0           0.0
gnus-group-position-point                                                      1           0.0           0.0
gnus-info-set-entry                                                            6           0.0           0.0
gnus-cache-possibly-enter-article                                              4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-remove-excess-properties                                            1           0.0           0.0
gnus-server-status                                                             2           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-name-to-method                                                      4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-real-prefix                                                         3           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-name-decode                                                         4           0.0           0.0
gnus-set-global-variables                                                      6           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-parameter-value                                                     7           0.0           0.0
gnus-run-hooks                                                                 7           0.0           0.0
gnus-summary-work-articles                                                     1           0.0           0.0
gnus-topic-visible-p                                                           2           0.0           0.0
gnus-mode-line-buffer-identification                                           7           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-process-prefix                                                      1           0.0           0.0
gnus-check-backend-function                                                    1           0.0           0.0
gnus-add-marked-articles                                                       4           0.0           0.0
gnus-group-next-unread-group                                                   1           0.0           0.0

--
Jody Klymak                           104 Ocean Admin Bldg., OSU
mailto:jklymak@coas.oregonstate.edu   Corvallis OR, 97330

* Re: Another IMAP speed issue
@ 2003-04-24 21:07     ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2003-04-24 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jody Klymak <jklymak@coas.oregonstate.edu> writes:

>> Start by getting more information on what is taking time; see the elp
>> discussion in the Troubleshooting section of the manual.
>>
>> (Moving and deleting messages in IMAP folders take many seconds for
>> me, since the Agent seem to be expiring messages.  But copying is
>> fast.)
>
> I get this when gnus-summary-copy-article is used on 4 messages.
> Takes ~20 seconds in real time.  However, I won't deny that it could
> be my imap server.

Might I suggest you profile the imap and nnimap packages when doing
this as well?  That would provide a more convincing case that the
slowness is somewhere in GNUs and not in your server.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting