* authinfo and nnimap in gnus 5.8.7
@ 2000-10-08  4:03 Karsten Huneycutt
From: Karsten Huneycutt @ 2000-10-08  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello:

I'm trying to use Gnus 5.8.7 under xemacs 21.1.12 to read my IMAP mail.

I'm doing this over an SSL connection, using stunnel (due to problems
with openssl) on port 10993 (and 4993, but one account at a time).

News works beautifully.

I have the following (along with some other stuff that works with my
news setup) in my ~/.gnus.el file:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "acpub"
		(nnimap-address "localhost")
		(nnimap-server-port 10993)
		(nnimap-authenticator 'login)
		(nnimap-stream 'network)
		(nnimap-list-pattern ( "INBOX" . "*"))
		(nnimap-expunge-on-close 'ask))))

I have

machine localhost port 10993 login kph password xxxx

in ~/.authinfo.  Using the password and login on port 10993 on localhost,
I can log in manually.  However, gnus, under the Server buffer, says
"denied" for nnimap:acpub, no matter how many times I exit and restart
xemacs.  netstat shows that the connection is being made, and nnimap-debug
sheds no light on the problem.  Neither do any of the docs or the archives
of this mailing list...

What do I need to do to get this to work?  I'd rather have it prompt
me for a password than have it stored in a file anyway, so if I can get
that, I'd be happy...

Also, anyone using Cyrus, can you confirm that the list-pattern that I
have above will list all my mailboxes?

KH

--
Karsten Huneycutt I'll make it all worthwhile, I'll make your
kph@duke.edu heart smile!  Strange love, strange highs

* Re: authinfo and nnimap in gnus 5.8.7
@ 2000-10-08  9:53 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-10-08  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karsten Huneycutt <kph@duke.edu> writes:

> I'm doing this over an SSL connection, using stunnel (due to problems
> with openssl) on port 10993 (and 4993, but one account at a time).

Port forwarding, then?

                                      ^
                               ^
> 		(nnimap-list-pattern ( "INBOX" . "*"))
> 		(nnimap-expunge-on-close 'ask))))
                                         ^

Remove these.  You're quoting things twice.

> I have
>
> machine localhost port 10993 login kph password xxxx
>
> in ~/.authinfo.  Using the password and login on port 10993 on localhost,
> I can log in manually.  However, gnus, under the Server buffer, says
> "denied" for nnimap:acpub, no matter how many times I exit and restart
> xemacs.  netstat shows that the connection is being made, and nnimap-debug
> sheds no light on the problem.  Neither do any of the docs or the archives
> of this mailing list...
>
> What do I need to do to get this to work?  I'd rather have it prompt
> me for a password than have it stored in a file anyway, so if I can get
> that, I'd be happy...

Try setting `imap-log' and look that buffer to find out what's
actually being sent on the wire.

> Also, anyone using Cyrus, can you confirm that the list-pattern that I
> have above will list all my mailboxes?

I use Cyrus and I don't set list-pattern at all.  It's mostly needed
when the server serve thousands and thousands of mailboxes that isn't
used for mail, Cyrus doesn't do this.

* Re: authinfo and nnimap in gnus 5.8.7
@ 2000-10-09  3:52   ` Karsten Huneycutt
From: Karsten Huneycutt @ 2000-10-09  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> writes:

> > (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> >       '((nnimap "acpub"
> > 		(nnimap-address "localhost")
> > 		(nnimap-server-port 10993)
> > 		(nnimap-authenticator 'login)
>                                       ^
> > 		(nnimap-stream 'network)
>                                ^
> > 		(nnimap-list-pattern ( "INBOX" . "*"))
> > 		(nnimap-expunge-on-close 'ask))))
>                                          ^
>
> Remove these.  You're quoting things twice.

That was the problem.  With those quotes removed, everything proceeded
smoothly.

Might I suggest a full example in the documentation that clearly shows
what things should be quoted, and which should not be?

Thanks!

KH

--

@ 2000-10-09  8:07     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-10-09  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 08 Oct 2000, Karsten Huneycutt wrote:

> Might I suggest a full example in the documentation that clearly
> shows what things should be quoted, and which should not be?

This is not so easy to say.  Compare with shell wildcards.  Should
arguments to shell programs be quoted or not?

ls -l w*
ls -l "w*"

Both of these are meaningful commands, though the latter one is
probably rarely used.

But an example could be added for the most common case.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: authinfo and nnimap in gnus 5.8.7
@ 2000-10-17 21:03     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-10-17 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karsten Huneycutt <kph@duke.edu> writes:

> Might I suggest a full example in the documentation that clearly shows
> what things should be quoted, and which should not be?

As Kai pointed out, this is tricky, but I added a large block of
nnimap server definitions that may help:

IMAP
----

   IMAP is a network protocol for reading mail (or news, or ...), think
of it as a modernized NNTP.  Connecting to a IMAP server is much
similar to connecting to a news server, you just specify the network
address of the server.

   A server configuration in `~/.gnus' with a few IMAP servers might
look something like this:

     (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
           '((nnimap "simpleserver") ; no special configuration
             ; perhaps a ssh port forwarded server:
             (nnimap "dolk"
                     (nnimap-address "localhost")
                     (nnimap-server-port 1430))
             ; a UW server running on localhost
             (nnimap "barbar"
                     (nnimap-server-port 143)
                     (nnimap-address "localhost")
                     (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "mail/*")))
             ; anonymous public cyrus server:
             (nnimap "cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu"
                     (nnimap-authenticator anonymous)
                     (nnimap-list-pattern "archive.*")
                     (nnimap-stream network))
             ; a ssl server on a non-standard port:
             (nnimap "vic20"
                     (nnimap-address "vic20.somewhere.com")
                     (nnimap-server-port 9930)
                     (nnimap-stream ssl))))

   The following variables can be used to create a virtual `nnimap'
server: