* New Gnus User
@ 2000-02-05 23:09 Chris Richards
From: Chris Richards @ 2000-02-05 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh my!  Look at the can of worms I opened this weekend.

I have (unfortunately) had a long procession through a score of email
clients starting way back in 1990.  Never am I fully satisfied with
the client.  Alas, I have come to Gnus.

I have been experimenting with Gnus insofarasmuch as setting up test
spools so I don't pollute (or lose!) my current mail.

I think I have gotten the hang of nnfolder.  Creating a new folder is
still a mystery.  I *think* I have used split and then F, U to create
it; this just doesn't seem right.  But other than that, not too many
hitches.  I especially like the cross-posting feature though I think I
have seen some oddities but can't put my finger on it.

...which brings me to nnimap.  I have seen references to an nnimap
mailing list in the archives.  However, the list address eludes me.
For now, I'll direct my question at this audience.

Here is the relevant part of my .gnus file.

    ------------------------------ cut here --------------------------

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnfolder ""
                  (nnfolder-get-new-mail 't))
        (nnimap "np"
                (nnimap-server-address "mail.netpliance.net")
                (nnimap-list-pattern ".*")
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close 'ask)
                (nnimap-split-crosspost 't)
                (nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX"))))

(setq nnimap-split-rule
                 '(("INBOX.netpliance" "^From:.*netpliance.*")
                   ("INBOX.private"    "")))

    ------------------------------ cut here --------------------------

As you can see, I am cross-posting.  However, it seems that though the
cross-posting works, reading one of the cross-posted messages does not
change the state of the message in the other IMAP groups.  Is this a
limitation of nnimap?

(As an aside, I was unable to set nnimap-split-rule within the nnimap
"np" section.  I suppose if I have multiple nnimap accounts, this
could be troublesome.)

Lastly, gnus does not seem to ask if I want to expunge my IMAP groups
on close even though I have it set.

Cheers,
cjr

* Re: New Gnus User
@ 2000-02-06  2:04 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-02-06  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Chris Richards <cjr@netpliance.net> writes:

> As you can see, I am cross-posting.  However, it seems that though the
> cross-posting works, reading one of the cross-posted messages does not
> change the state of the message in the other IMAP groups.  Is this a
> limitation of nnimap?

Yes.

There are two methods to remedy this; 1) when crossposting, store
information somewhere that tie crossposted articles together and
return this info in the Xref header, I don't see a way to have it on
the IMAP server so it wouldn't be a clean solution; 2) have the nnimap
splitter add the proper Xref header when crossposting, the
disadvantage is that all articles has to be downloaded and uploaded so
it would be slow.

> (As an aside, I was unable to set nnimap-split-rule within the
> nnimap "np" section.  I suppose if I have multiple nnimap accounts,
> this could be troublesome.)

Yes, split rules are within one server only. It might be possible to
bind `nnimap-split-rule' as server variables on the two virtual nnimap
servers, but be prepared to debug things if you try to (it's not
supposed to work that way).

> Lastly, gnus does not seem to ask if I want to expunge my IMAP groups
> on close even though I have it set.

You're quoting stuff twice, remove all but the first '-character
below.