* "fall through" spam filtering with Sieve?
@ 2002-02-13 22:01 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-02-13 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm in the process of getting my cyrus imapd on my debian testing
machine, from the official 1.5.9, to the highly unofficial 2.1.1.

One thing I have done both with Gnus nnml filtering, and later with
procmail filtering into IMAP folders, is to let everything not
addressed to or from a mailing list I subscribe to, or one of my email
addresses, "drop through" into a SPAM folder.

Is there a way to do this with Sieve rules created interactively from
Gnus?

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: "fall through" spam filtering with Sieve?
@ 2002-02-13 23:06 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-02-13 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> I'm in the process of getting my cyrus imapd on my debian testing
> machine, from the official 1.5.9, to the highly unofficial 2.1.1.
>
> One thing I have done both with Gnus nnml filtering, and later with
> procmail filtering into IMAP folders, is to let everything not
> addressed to or from a mailing list I subscribe to, or one of my email
> addresses, "drop through" into a SPAM folder.
>
> Is there a way to do this with Sieve rules created interactively from
> Gnus?

Yes.  Add Sieve rules for all your groups (manually using G p from
group buffer, or M-x gnus-sieve-article-add-rule RET for some
heuristics that work for mailing lists in the summary/article buffer),
create the .sieve file using D g from the group buffer and upload it
to your server using C-c RET and C-c l in the .sieve buffer.

There are some example Sieve rules in the Sieve manual as well.

* Re: "fall through" spam filtering with Sieve?
@ 2002-02-14  8:10   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-02-14  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yes.  Add Sieve rules for all your groups (manually using G p from
> group buffer, or M-x gnus-sieve-article-add-rule RET for some
> heuristics that work for mailing lists in the summary/article
> buffer), create the .sieve file using D g from the group buffer and
> upload it to your server using C-c RET and C-c l in the .sieve
> buffer.

Yes.  This lets me add rules for nnimap groups, saying that everything
that fits a particular rule should go into that group.  I already knew
that...:-)

What I'm wondering is if it is possible to associate a rule with an
nnimap group saying basically "everything not matched by any other
rule should go into this group"?  Or maybe if there is some way of
ordering the rules for the different groups?

> There are some example Sieve rules in the Sieve manual as well.

Hmm... yes... but they don't seem to cover this case either...?  Or is
there something I'm missing?

* Re: "fall through" spam filtering with Sieve?
@ 2002-02-14  9:12     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-14  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> What I'm wondering is if it is possible to associate a rule with an
> nnimap group saying basically "everything not matched by any other
> rule should go into this group"?  Or maybe if there is some way of
> ordering the rules for the different groups?

Maybe you can manually add "keep;" at the end of the file, that would
leave them in the INBOX.

You could put everything that's not spam in a specific group or in
INBOX.misc.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: "fall through" spam filtering with Sieve?
@ 2002-02-14 11:26     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-02-14 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> Yes.  Add Sieve rules for all your groups (manually using G p from
>> group buffer, or M-x gnus-sieve-article-add-rule RET for some
>> heuristics that work for mailing lists in the summary/article
>> buffer), create the .sieve file using D g from the group buffer and
>> upload it to your server using C-c RET and C-c l in the .sieve
>> buffer.
>
> Yes.  This lets me add rules for nnimap groups, saying that everything
> that fits a particular rule should go into that group.  I already knew
> that...:-)
>
> What I'm wondering is if it is possible to associate a rule with an
> nnimap group saying basically "everything not matched by any other
> rule should go into this group"?  Or maybe if there is some way of
> ordering the rules for the different groups?

Aha.  Maybe you could add something like this after the "## End Gnus
Sieve Script" marker:

fileinto "INBOX.spam";

>> There are some example Sieve rules in the Sieve manual as well.
>
> Hmm... yes... but they don't seem to cover this case either...?  Or is
> there something I'm missing?

I guess I was thinking of adding a always-matching rule on your spam
group

if header :contains "Received" "" {
	fileinto "INBOX.spam";
}

and making sure it was last in the file (which unfortunately isn't
possible right now, I think).

* Re: "fall through" spam filtering with Sieve?
@ 2002-02-14 13:04       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2002-02-14 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Aha.  Maybe you could add something like this after the "## End Gnus
> Sieve Script" marker:

> fileinto "INBOX.spam";

That's a possiblity.

Will the stuff after the marker be kept as-is when I add a new sieve
rule on an nnimap group?

* Re: "fall through" spam filtering with Sieve?
@ 2002-02-14 13:19         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-02-14 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> Aha.  Maybe you could add something like this after the "## End Gnus
>> Sieve Script" marker:
>
>> fileinto "INBOX.spam";
>
> That's a possiblity.
>
> Will the stuff after the marker be kept as-is when I add a new sieve
> rule on an nnimap group?

Yup.  Only the stuff between the two markers is removed and
regenerated. (Not that I have tested it...)