* Problems using 5.8.3
@ 2000-02-11 11:05 Peter Weiss
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Weiss @ 2000-02-11 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

    Switching from Gnus 5.5 (Emacs 20.3 Version) to Gnus 5.8.3 I'm beginning
    to hate this thing. It's very unstable. I have to use this version for
    IMAP support.

    The Problems I have are:

     o contacting IMAP server works a little. Getting new messages ('g')
       doesn't show them in my INBOX but marks all messages but one as 'O' as
       deleted.

       Starting gnus all over again shows new messages up. Another annoying
       way I found is to select the INBOX with 'C-ug', quitting it right
       after and getting mails again with 'g'. Then I've to mark all the read
       and want-to-keep messages with 'u' again.

       BTW: checking the INBOX with pine shows up as expected.

     o Sending mail with an 'FCC: ~/Mail/send' field, that points to an
       existing rmail box results in an error:

         Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, t

       The field is correctly interpreted when sending mail with 'C-xm'.

     o I'm unable to delete messages in nndraft folders (don't know how to do
       this, usually killing and expiring it with 'C-k' and 'B M-C-e' works)

     o Mail splitting doesn't work as it used to in v5.5,, when setting

            (setq nnimap-split-fancy nnmail-split-fancy)

       Is there a way to save IMAP-Mails in nnml files?

    If someone has some hints for me it would be GREATLY appreciated, I don't
    want to go back using pine or something like that.

        Peter

Connecting IMAP server:

$ telnet mailhost 143
Trying 10.1.1.24...
Connected to rauch.class.de.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK rauch Solstice (tm) Internet Mail Server (tm) IMAP4 service @ 2.0 - at Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:57:34 +0100 (MET)

Setup (Emacs v20.3 started with -q):

;;; There might be a local installed more recent version of gnus
;;; than that which came along with the standard emacs distribution:
(let ((loc-gnus-path
       (expand-file-name "~/emacs/share/emacs/site-lisp")))

  (if (file-accessible-directory-p loc-gnus-path)
      (progn
        (and (not (member (concat loc-gnus-path "/lisp") load-path))
             (setq load-path
                   (cons (expand-file-name (concat loc-gnus-path "/lisp"))
                         load-path)))
        (and (not (member (concat loc-gnus-path "/texi")
                          Info-default-directory-list))
             (setq Info-default-directory-list
                   (cons (expand-file-name (concat loc-gnus-path "/texi"))
                         Info-default-directory-list))))))

(setq gnus-nntp-server                "news.class.de"
      gnus-article-save-directory     "~/News"
      gnus-expert-user                t)

(defun own-gnus-settings ()
  (setq message-default-mail-headers    "FCC: ~/Mail/emsend\n"
        message-default-news-headers    "FCC: ~/News/News-sent.rmail\n"))

(add-hook 'gnus-started-hook            'own-gnus-settings)

(setq mail-sources '((imap :server  "mailhost"
			   :user    "weiss"))
      gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "mailhost")))

--
Peter Weiss

CLASS Firmengruppe           phone  +49 (0)8151 / 991 - 512
Moosstrasse 7                fax    +49 (0)8151 / 991 - 229
D-82319 Starnberg            mobil  ??
http://www.class.de          mailto:Peter.Weiss@Class.de

* Re: Problems using 5.8.3
@ 2000-02-11 13:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-02-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter Weiss <Peter.Weiss@class.de> writes:

>      o contacting IMAP server works a little. Getting new messages ('g')
>        doesn't show them in my INBOX but marks all messages but one as 'O' as
>        deleted.

Somebody else has reported this (maybe you?) some time ago, but these
two are the only reports I have seen.  I use nnimap for shared folders
right now, and I used to use nnimap for my personal mail, and there
was no problem.

>      o Sending mail with an 'FCC: ~/Mail/send' field, that points to an
>        existing rmail box results in an error:
>
>          Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, t
>
>        The field is correctly interpreted when sending mail with 'C-xm'.

Hm.  Surely a bug.  Does it work to use Gcc headers to write outgoing
messages into a Gnus group, as a workaround?

>      o I'm unable to delete messages in nndraft folders (don't know how to do
>        this, usually killing and expiring it with 'C-k' and 'B M-C-e' works)

You can type `B DEL' to delete a message from a group.  This works in
nndraft groups, too.

>      o Mail splitting doesn't work as it used to in v5.5,, when setting
>
>             (setq nnimap-split-fancy nnmail-split-fancy)
>
>        Is there a way to save IMAP-Mails in nnml files?

I think you want (setq nnimap-split-rule 'nnimap-split-fancy), too.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Problems using 5.8.3
@ 2000-02-11 14:08 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2000-02-11 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using nnimap with the pgnus series for my personal mail for
ages now and haven't seen the problems you're dealing with.  One thing
in your configuration jumps out at me:

> (setq mail-sources '((imap :server  "mailhost"
> 			   :user    "weiss"))
>       gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "mailhost")))

I suspect you're hitting some race condition here.  If you're going to
use nnimap, you *don't* want imap as a mail-source.  imap as
mail-source is just POP by another protocol.  I bet your missing mail
is somewhere on your local disk.

Btw, I've added an FCC to this message.  If it works, I'll follow up.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: Problems using 5.8.3
@ 2000-02-11 14:25   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2000-02-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

FWIW, FCC worked just fine for me.  I am using the latest CVS
snapshot, so if you're using 5.8.3, there may have been something
fixed since then.  I do use FCC when message is called from without
Gnus but I haven't done that in quite some time.
--
Dave Goldberg (G022)
dsg@mitre.org

* Re: Problems using 5.8.3
@ 2000-02-11 14:25 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-02-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter Weiss <Peter.Weiss@class.de> writes:

>      o I'm unable to delete messages in nndraft folders (don't know how to do
>        this, usually killing and expiring it with 'C-k' and 'B
>        M-C-e' works)

`B DEL' on the article doesn't work?

>      o Mail splitting doesn't work as it used to in v5.5,, when setting
>
>             (setq nnimap-split-fancy nnmail-split-fancy)

Could you be more specific, what doesn't work?

>        Is there a way to save IMAP-Mails in nnml files?

Only by having a IMAP mail-source, whereby all IMAP mail are splitted
into nnml folders.

There's no predefined function that split some IMAP-mail into nnml
folders and some into nnimap folders, sorry.

> (setq mail-sources '((imap :server  "mailhost"
> 			   :user    "weiss"))
>       gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "mailhost")))

This looks wrong, it's usually nonsensical to have a IMAP mail-source
and a nnimap backend pointing at the same IMAP server.

If you want to use a IMAP mail-source, ie downloading all articles to
your local hard disk and deleting them on the server, you need a mail
backend to hold them, such as nnml. Also, having a nnimap server too
would serve little purpose.

OTOH if you want to remotely access IMAP mail with nnimap, you
shouldn't have a IMAP mail-source since it would remove all articles
from the server and store them locally in your nnml (or whatever)
backend.

I think this explains your first problem with your IMAP mailbox.

* Re: Problems using 5.8.3
@ 2000-02-11 15:00   ` Peter Weiss
From: Peter Weiss @ 2000-02-11 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hallo Simon

Simon> Peter Weiss <Peter.Weiss@class.de> writes:
>> o I'm unable to delete messages in nndraft folders (don't know how to do
>> this, usually killing and expiring it with 'C-k' and 'B
>> M-C-e' works)

Simon> `B DEL' on the article doesn't work?

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

>> o Mail splitting doesn't work as it used to in v5.5,, when setting
>>
>> (setq nnimap-split-fancy nnmail-split-fancy)

Simon> Could you be more specific, what doesn't work?

No splitting is done, but I'm fiddling around with
nnimap-split-rule and nnmail-split-fancy as Kai suggested.

>> (setq mail-sources '((imap :server  "mailhost"
>> :user    "weiss"))
>> gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "mailhost")))

Simon> This looks wrong, it's usually nonsensical to have a IMAP mail-source
Simon> and a nnimap backend pointing at the same IMAP server.

Simon> If you want to use a IMAP mail-source, ie downloading all articles to
Simon> your local hard disk and deleting them on the server, you need a mail
Simon> backend to hold them, such as nnml. Also, having a nnimap server too
Simon> would serve little purpose.

Simon> OTOH if you want to remotely access IMAP mail with nnimap, you
Simon> shouldn't have a IMAP mail-source since it would remove all articles
Simon> from the server and store them locally in your nnml (or whatever)
Simon> backend.

Simon> I think this explains your first problem with your IMAP mailbox.

Thanks for the hints. I think the point is that I haven't understood the
differences between mail-sources and gnus-secondary-select-methods. If i've
got it right mail-sources is used to specify mail servers where mail is
downloaded to local disk space.

In this case how do I specify the nnml backend to hold the articles?

I'll have to read mail from different places: at work, from the customers
location or from my laptop. So I think leaving mail on the IMAP server is the
best idea.

In this case: how do I set up gnus? Using the nnimap-* variables or is it
sufficient to setup gnus-secondary-select-methods?

    Thanks so far -- Peter

--

@ 2000-02-11 15:29     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-02-11 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter Weiss <Peter.Weiss@class.de> writes:

> No splitting is done, but I'm fiddling around with
> nnimap-split-rule and nnmail-split-fancy as Kai suggested.

That might too be due to using a IMAP mail-source, it would remove all
mail from the server to no splitting would occur.

> Thanks for the hints. I think the point is that I haven't understood the
> differences between mail-sources and gnus-secondary-select-methods. If i've
> got it right mail-sources is used to specify mail servers where mail is
> downloaded to local disk space.

Right, nnmail-derived backends such as nnml, nnfolder access local
(modulo remote filesystems etc) spools. They use a "mail-source" to
get mail into the local spool. Remote backends, such as nntp, nnweb,
nnimap don't use mail sources since they access remote mail.

> In this case how do I specify the nnml backend to hold the articles?

With `gnus-secondary-select-methods'.  Put the nnml backend in there
and it will get it's mail from all your mail-sources.

> I'll have to read mail from different places: at work, from the customers
> location or from my laptop. So I think leaving mail on the IMAP server is the
> best idea.
>
> In this case: how do I set up gnus? Using the nnimap-* variables or is it
> sufficient to setup gnus-secondary-select-methods?

Just removing the IMAP mail-source configuration sound like it would
be enough.  If you got any nnml mailboxes, you should put a nnml
server in `g-s-s-methods' too, btw.

NB some nnimap-* stuff (nnimap-authenticator, nnimap-stream etc) are
virtual server variables, and some are plain variables
(nnimap-split-rules, nnimap-split-inbox etc) so each have to be
defined appropriately.

* Re: Problems using 5.8.3
@ 2000-02-11 16:27       ` Peter Weiss
From: Peter Weiss @ 2000-02-11 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Simon> [...]

>> I'll have to read mail from different places: at work, from the customers
>> location or from my laptop. So I think leaving mail on the IMAP server is the
>> best idea.
>>
>> In this case: how do I set up gnus? Using the nnimap-* variables or is it
>> sufficient to setup gnus-secondary-select-methods?

Simon> Just removing the IMAP mail-source configuration sound like it would
Simon> be enough.  If you got any nnml mailboxes, you should put a nnml
Simon> server in `g-s-s-methods' too, btw.

Simon> NB some nnimap-* stuff (nnimap-authenticator, nnimap-stream etc) are
Simon> virtual server variables, and some are plain variables
Simon> (nnimap-split-rules, nnimap-split-inbox etc) so each have to be
Simon> defined appropriately.

Hello,

    thanks once again. I think I'm near it.

    But the mail problems are still the same with my current settings

       (setq gnus-nntp-server              "news.class.de"
             gnus-local-organization       "Class Firmengruppe, Germany"
             mail-sources                  nil
             gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "mailhost")))

    gnus contacts the imap server, but the inbox still gets currupted most
    time when there's new mail in my INBOX.

          Peter
--

@ 2000-02-11 17:12         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-02-11 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Peter Weiss <Peter.Weiss@class.de> writes:

>     But the mail problems are still the same with my current settings
>
>        (setq gnus-nntp-server              "news.class.de"
>              gnus-local-organization       "Class Firmengruppe, Germany"
>              mail-sources                  nil
>              gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "mailhost")))

Looks OK.

>     gnus contacts the imap server, but the inbox still gets currupted most
>     time when there's new mail in my INBOX.

Could you start Gnus, evaluate `(setq imap-log "*imap-log*")', open
the group and verify everything looks OK, close it, fetch new mail (or
whatever causes corruption), open the mailbox and verify the
corruption, and then mail me the content of your *imap-log* buffer?
It might be a bug.  Thanks.