* Problems using 5.8.3
@ 2000-02-11 11:05 Peter Weiss
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Weiss @ 2000-02-11 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

    Switching from Gnus 5.5 (Emacs 20.3 Version) to Gnus 5.8.3 I'm beginning
    to hate this thing. It's very unstable. I have to use this version for
    IMAP support.

    The Problems I have are:

     o contacting IMAP server works a little. Getting new messages ('g')
       doesn't show them in my INBOX but marks all messages but one as 'O' as
       deleted.

       Starting gnus all over again shows new messages up. Another annoying
       way I found is to select the INBOX with 'C-ug', quitting it right
       after and getting mails again with 'g'. Then I've to mark all the read
       and want-to-keep messages with 'u' again.

       BTW: checking the INBOX with pine shows up as expected.

     o Sending mail with an 'FCC: ~/Mail/send' field, that points to an
       existing rmail box results in an error:

         Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, t

       The field is correctly interpreted when sending mail with 'C-xm'.

     o I'm unable to delete messages in nndraft folders (don't know how to do
       this, usually killing and expiring it with 'C-k' and 'B M-C-e' works)

     o Mail splitting doesn't work as it used to in v5.5,, when setting

            (setq nnimap-split-fancy nnmail-split-fancy)

       Is there a way to save IMAP-Mails in nnml files?

    If someone has some hints for me it would be GREATLY appreciated, I don't
    want to go back using pine or something like that.

        Peter

Connecting IMAP server:

$ telnet mailhost 143
Trying 10.1.1.24...
Connected to rauch.class.de.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK rauch Solstice (tm) Internet Mail Server (tm) IMAP4 service @ 2.0 - at Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:57:34 +0100 (MET)

Setup (Emacs v20.3 started with -q):

;;; There might be a local installed more recent version of gnus
;;; than that which came along with the standard emacs distribution:
(let ((loc-gnus-path
       (expand-file-name "~/emacs/share/emacs/site-lisp")))

  (if (file-accessible-directory-p loc-gnus-path)
      (progn
        (and (not (member (concat loc-gnus-path "/lisp") load-path))
             (setq load-path
                   (cons (expand-file-name (concat loc-gnus-path "/lisp"))
                         load-path)))
        (and (not (member (concat loc-gnus-path "/texi")
                          Info-default-directory-list))
             (setq Info-default-directory-list
                   (cons (expand-file-name (concat loc-gnus-path "/texi"))
                         Info-default-directory-list))))))

(setq gnus-nntp-server                "news.class.de"
      gnus-article-save-directory     "~/News"
      gnus-expert-user                t)

(defun own-gnus-settings ()
  (setq message-default-mail-headers    "FCC: ~/Mail/emsend\n"
        message-default-news-headers    "FCC: ~/News/News-sent.rmail\n"))

(add-hook 'gnus-started-hook            'own-gnus-settings)

(setq mail-sources '((imap :server  "mailhost"
			   :user    "weiss"))
      gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "mailhost")))

--
Peter Weiss

CLASS Firmengruppe           phone  +49 (0)8151 / 991 - 512
Moosstrasse 7                fax    +49 (0)8151 / 991 - 229
D-82319 Starnberg            mobil  ??
http://www.class.de          mailto:Peter.Weiss@Class.de