From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: something decodes my headers...
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:13:50 +0200	[thread overview]

Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> writes:

>  Simon> I think it might be a bug to invoke mail-extr on 8bit data.
>  Simon> Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> writes:
>  >> It is. It is really not designed to do that, and it only works for a
>  >> subset of ISO-8859-1. Actually, I have the distinct impression that
>  >> if we removed the 8859-1 support from mail-extr.el, the breakage
>  >> would be noticed by many more people.
>
>  Simon> Yes.  OTOH, I doubt the Right Thing wrt mail-extr is to patch
>  Simon> it.  It should be rewritten.  But if there is a short patch that
>  Simon> solve problems, I guess it doesn't hurt.  Removing the
>  Simon> iso-8859-1 support is probably not a good thing in practice
>  Simon> though, even if I agree in theory.
>
> I fully agree, although I'd love to see a "testing period" with the
> ISO-8859-1 support in mail-extr.el removed. Just so that people notice
> the problems.

Since mail-extr.el isn't part of Gnus, this is hard to do here.  Maybe
suggest it on emacs-devel?  OTOH, I'm not sure what the result of the
test period would be, it doesn't help if people just notice the
problem, someone has to do something about it too, and they can do
something about it without a test period, can't they?

> No, the patch does not help. I do not mess with
> gnus-extract-address-components, it is left at default.
>
> Also, the messages in my nnml spool definitely do not have 8bit
> characters:
>
> From: =?iso-8859-2?Q?Pawe=B3_lastnamesnipped?= <spam@rychter.com>
>
> So, it seems that something decodes the From: field.

I guess I missed something...