@ 2002-03-24 15:13 Barry Fishman
From: Barry Fishman @ 2002-03-24 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

For a while now (in ognus), a fundamental mode *group* buffer is
created by just doing:

        (require 'message)

I had thought message was designed an independent facility so that you
could:

        (setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent)

and then, for example,  use `M-x m' to compose and send simple mail
without loading any unused infrastructure of GNUS.

Barry

* Re: Loading Message without GNUS
@ 2002-03-25 15:58 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-03-25 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Barry Fishman <barry_fishman@att.net> writes:

> For a while now (in ognus), a fundamental mode *group* buffer is
> created by just doing:
>
>         (require 'message)
>
> I had thought message was designed an independent facility so that you
> could:
>
>         (setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent)
>
> and then, for example,  use `M-x m' to compose and send simple mail
> without loading any unused infrastructure of GNUS.

Yup.  However I can't seem to reproduce this.

Can you M-x elp-instrument-packge RET gnus RET, M-x m and then run M-x
elp-results RET to find out which Gnus functions is called?  Pick out
one function name that looks high level and generic, and M-x
debug-on-entry RET on it to get a backtrace and post it.

* Re: Loading Message without GNUS
@ 2002-03-25 16:33   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2002-03-25 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think you need to use gnus-user-agent rather than message-user-agent
to get the behavior you want.  At least, that's what works for me, and
has been doing so for quite some time now.
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Loading Message without GNUS
@ 2002-03-26  3:06   ` Barry Fishman
From: Barry Fishman @ 2002-03-26  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Simon,

Re:
> Barry Fishman <barry_fishman@att.net> writes:
>
>> For a while now (in ognus), a fundamental mode *group* buffer is
>> created by just doing:
>>
>>         (require 'message)
>
> Can you M-x elp-instrument-packge RET gnus RET, M-x m and then run M-x
> elp-results RET to find out which Gnus functions is called?  Pick out
> one function name that looks high level and generic, and M-x
> debug-on-entry RET on it to get a backtrace and post it.

I did as you asked, but when I ran elp-results, there were no
functions listed, although the *group* buffer is created.

Being more careful, and starting with a "emacs -q", doing just:

      (setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent)
      (require 'bbdb)
      (bbdb-initialize 'message)
      (bbdb-initialize 'gnus)
      (compose-mail)

doesn't load gnus or generate the *group* buffer.  So the problem is
elsewhere in my .emacs file, and the fact I use BBDB in message,
doesn't seem to cause any problems.  The only other external message
hook I (am aware I) use is smtp-send-it.

However, in a raw "emacs -q", if I do just:

         (require 'gnus)

a group buffer is created.  Shouldn't one have to at least call some
function before a buffer is created?

In my particular case I don't see any "Loading gnus---" in the message
buffer but gnus is being added to the features list.

I'm proceeding to rebuild my .emacs setup piece by piece, to see when
it shows up, but it will take some time.

@ 2002-03-26 17:44     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-03-26 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Barry Fishman <barry_fishman@att.net> writes:

> However, in a raw "emacs -q", if I do just:
>
>          (require 'gnus)
>
> a group buffer is created.  Shouldn't one have to at least call some
> function before a buffer is created?

No, line 896 and onwards of gnus.el always creates *Group* when gnus
is loaded.  So that explains it.  What problems did this cause?