* Incorporate file into summary buffer
@ 2000-03-07  3:33 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-03-07  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know gnus can incorporate plain files as if they were messages, into
a group and summary buffer.  I've done a number of times.  I've looked
it up in info on  each occasion and been able to find it fairly
quickly.

Today none of my searches are turning up the wanted command.

In gnus info "s" search RE:

gnus.*insert  <no>
insert.*file  <no>
insert.*group <no>
insert.*summary <no>

M-x apropos:

gnus.*insert
insert.*file

Ahhh crap.  I can't think of a good search string and keep striking
out.

Someone know the command to incorportate a plain file as a message?

* Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer
@ 2000-03-07  4:03 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 2000-03-07  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

HP> I know gnus can incorporate plain files as if they were messages, into
HP> a group and summary buffer.  I've done a number of times.  I've looked
HP> it up in info on  each occasion and been able to find it fairly
HP> quickly.

Are you thinking of gnus-group-make-doc-group?  This will read a given file
and open it up as if it were an mbox-style group.

--
JackVinson@Yahoo.com
Bart: I will not prescribe medication.

* Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer
@ 2000-03-07  4:12   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-03-07  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <JackVinson@yahoo.com> writes:

> Are you thinking of gnus-group-make-doc-group?  This will read a given file
> and open it up as if it were an mbox-style group.

No... In this method you make gnus suck an actual file into an
existing group.  Gnus creates headers for it from file name and time
stamp or out of thin air or something.  Then you have that file in the
summary buffer of the subject group posing as another message.

* Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer
@ 2000-03-07  4:29 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-03-07  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ahhh crap.  I can't think of a good search string and keep striking
> out.
>
> Someone know the command to incorportate a plain file as a message?

Ahhhhhhh    I got it.

My memory kept sayin "insert" when it is really "import"

In summary buffer `B i' gnus-summary-import-article

* Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer
@ 2000-03-07 17:26   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2000-03-07 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 06 Mar 2000 20:29:48 -0800
in article <m2g0u3bdxf.fsf@reader.ptw.com>
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> said:

[...]

  > In summary buffer `B i' gnus-summary-import-article

Holy moley! This is what I love about gnus. Every day you can find
something entirely new and useful that you'd never even thought of
before.

. o O ( hmm... this file is related to that archived email... 'B i'! )

Thanks, Harry -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Post-It (Was: Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer)
@ 2000-03-07 19:37     ` Arnd Kohrs
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Arnd Kohrs @ 2000-03-07 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> In summary buffer `B i' gnus-summary-import-article

    Bill> Holy moley! This is what I love about gnus. Every day you can
    Bill> find something entirely new and useful that you'd never even
    Bill> thought of before.

    Bill> . o O ( hmm... this file is related to that archived
    Bill> email... 'B i'! )

I was also surprised about this hidden jewel.  While it is not yet
directly possible, this feature can be used to attach ¨post-it¨ messages
to messages:

- create a ¨post-it¨ file with the note that should be attached
- "B i" the ¨post-it¨ into the group (author: Post-It, subject: whatever)
- mark(#) the message and stick the ¨post-it¨ to it by reparenting (T ^)it.
- tag the ¨post-it¨ so it stays.

However it is still a bit complicated, but now I can attach notes to
messages, e.g. some thoughts about a delayed response.  Using this
technique even mime can be attached.

It would be nice if the reparenting was automatic (should be anyway,
since the B commands are normally related to the article under point).
Also, it is cumbersome to create a file, which is afterwards unused.
Further, it would we nice that the Post-It message stays as long visible
as the referred message (unless intentionally deleted).

Is there another solution (maybe also hidden from my conscience ;-) to
the ¨post-it¨ problem?  Unfortunately I am intellectually challenged
when it comes to lisp programming (my head still turns from trying to
understand a related function: gnus-summary-reply).

Arnd.
--
Arnd Kohrs   -   kohrs@acm.org  -  http://www.eurecom.fr/~kohrs

The Active WebMuseum: Your personalized access to art paintings.
 Visit now ->  http://www.eurecom.fr/~kohrs/museum.html

* Re: Post-It (Was: Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer)
@ 2000-03-07 19:55       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-03-07 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Arnd Kohrs <kohrs@acm.org> writes:

> Is there another solution (maybe also hidden from my conscience ;-) to
> the ¨post-it¨ problem?  Unfortunately I am intellectually challenged
> when it comes to lisp programming (my head still turns from trying to
> understand a related function: gnus-summary-reply).

One possibility would be to edit the article, if it is mail.  You
could add a MIME part to it.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer
@ 2000-03-07 22:59   ` Chris Brierley
From: Chris Brierley @ 2000-03-07 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2000-03-06, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> In summary buffer `B i' gnus-summary-import-article

Can anyone tell me authoritatively if this works with an nnimap
backend?  I just tried it and it hung emacs for several minutes
until I finally gave up and C-g'd.

Is it my problem or nnimap's?  Thanks.

* Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer
@ 2000-03-07 23:08     ` Chris Brierley
From: Chris Brierley @ 2000-03-07 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2000-03-07, Chris Brierley <brierley@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2000-03-06, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
> > In summary buffer `B i' gnus-summary-import-article
>
> Can anyone tell me authoritatively if this works with an nnimap
> backend?  I just tried it and it hung emacs for several minutes
> until I finally gave up and C-g'd.

Answering my own question, sort of ...

Well, I just found out that the file did actually get imported
into my nnimap group.  After I C-g'd and rescanned the group it
showed up.  So, it appears to work, but it gets stuck somewhere in
the process adn has to be C-g'd.

* Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer
@ 2000-03-08  3:51     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-03-08  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> Holy moley! This is what I love about gnus. Every day you can find
> something entirely new and useful that you'd never even thought of
> before.

Arnd Kohrs <kohrs@acm.org> writes:
> I was also surprised about this hidden jewel.  While it is not yet
> directly possible, this feature can be used to attach ¨post-it¨ messages
> to messages:

Hey, this is really cool.  It must be the first time I ever knew
something about gnus that at least a few people on this list didn't
already know.

Wonder if I should hire a plane to pull signs across the sky or something...

* Re: Post-It (Was: Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer)
@ 2000-03-08  8:03       ` Peter Weiss
From: Peter Weiss @ 2000-03-08  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>>> In summary buffer `B i' gnus-summary-import-article

Arnd> [...]

Arnd> - create a ¨post-it¨ file with the note that should be attached
Arnd> - "B i" the ¨post-it¨ into the group (author: Post-It, subject: whatever)
Arnd> - mark(#) the message and stick the ¨post-it¨ to it by reparenting (T ^)it.
Arnd> - tag the ¨post-it¨ so it stays.

Arnd> [...]

Hello,

    well, this is one of the reasons I'm using gnus...

    I don't know if I allready got the idea: gnus-summary-reparent-thread
    shows only the message

       An article may not be self-referential

    This should sort the new message in thread, shouldn't it?

       Peter

--
Peter Weiss

CLASS Firmengruppe           phone  +49 (0)8151 / 991 - 512
Moosstrasse 7                fax    +49 (0)8151 / 991 - 229
D-82319 Starnberg            mobil  ??
http://www.class.de          mailto:Peter.Weiss@Class.de

* Re: Post-It (Was: Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer)
@ 2000-03-08 10:25         ` Arnd Kohrs
From: Arnd Kohrs @ 2000-03-08 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Bill> In summary buffer `B i' gnus-summary-import-article

    Arnd> - create a ¨post-it¨ file with the note that should be
    Arnd> attached - "B i" the ¨post-it¨ into the group (author:
    Arnd> Post-It, subject: whatever) - mark(#) the message and stick
    Arnd> the ¨post-it¨ to it by reparenting (T ^)it.  - tag the
    Arnd> ¨post-it¨ so it stays.

    Peter>     I don't know if I allready got the idea:
    Peter> gnus-summary-reparent-thread shows only the message
    Peter>        An article may not be self-referential
    Peter>     This should sort the new message in thread, shouldn't it?

The gnus-summary-reparent-thread works as follows (it took me a bit to
figure that out myself):
- choose a parent message by marking it with the process mark '#'
- select a child message and "T ^"

For me it works very nice.  The /reparenting/ stuff I discovered
yesterday.  Before that I manually edited always the references to
correct threads.  I wish that nnimap allowed editing of messages, so
that my nnimap groups were as flexible.

CU
Arnd.
--

@ 2000-03-08 22:04           ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-03-08 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Arnd Kohrs <kohrs@acm.org> writes:

> For me it works very nice.  The /reparenting/ stuff I discovered
> yesterday.  Before that I manually edited always the references to
> correct threads.  I wish that nnimap allowed editing of messages, so
> that my nnimap groups were as flexible.

nnimap will never support article editing since IMAP does not support
that.

Perhaps Gnus could be modified to fall back to article replacing if
the backend doesn't support article editing, though.

* Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer
@ 2000-03-09  0:27       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-03-09  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Chris Brierley <brierley@pobox.com> writes:

> > Can anyone tell me authoritatively if this works with an nnimap
> > backend?  I just tried it and it hung emacs for several minutes
> > until I finally gave up and C-g'd.

No problem here.

> Well, I just found out that the file did actually get imported
> into my nnimap group.  After I C-g'd and rescanned the group it
> showed up.  So, it appears to work, but it gets stuck somewhere in
> the process adn has to be C-g'd.

Could you evaluate `(setq debug-on-quit t)' and mail me the backtrace
you get when C-g'ing?

Do you use a "external" process filter (ie kerberos, SSL or STARTTLS)?

* Re: Post-It (Was: Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnd Kohrs <kohrs@acm.org> writes:

> - create a ¨post-it¨ file with the note that should be attached
> - "B i" the ¨post-it¨ into the group (author: Post-It, subject: whatever)
> - mark(#) the message and stick the ¨post-it¨ to it by reparenting (T ^)it.
> - tag the ¨post-it¨ so it stays.
>
> However it is still a bit complicated, but now I can attach notes to
> messages, e.g. some thoughts about a delayed response.  Using this
> technique even mime can be attached.

Perhaps there should be a command to "attach" a buffer of comments to
a message?  That is, `B WHATEVER', you're popped into a buffer, write
something, end with `C-c C-c', and then the thing you've written gets
to be the child of the message you're commenting.

Would that be useful?

* Re: Post-It (Was: Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer)
@ 2000-04-20 20:15         ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2000-04-20 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Perhaps there should be a command to "attach" a buffer of comments to
> a message?  That is, `B WHATEVER', you're popped into a buffer, write
> something, end with `C-c C-c', and then the thing you've written gets
> to be the child of the message you're commenting.
>
> Would that be useful?

I would use it.

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc@math.jhu.edu

* Re: Post-It (Was: Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer)
@ 2000-04-20 21:32           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Christensen <jdc@jhu.edu> writes:

> > Would that be useful?
>
> I would use it.

I've added this to the todo list.

* Re: Post-It (Was: Re: Incorporate file into summary buffer)
@ 2000-04-27 12:42         ` Kim-Minh Kaplan
From: Kim-Minh Kaplan @ 2000-04-27 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Perhaps there should be a command to "attach" a buffer of comments to
> a message?  That is, `B WHATEVER', you're popped into a buffer, write
> something, end with `C-c C-c', and then the thing you've written gets
> to be the child of the message you're commenting.

This already nearly exists: you type 'r' on the message you are
commenting, and then remove the "To:" line and add the corresponding
"Gcc:" line.  This is very useful.

Kim-Minh.