* digest of ding-list?
@ 1997-03-10 21:24 Dirk Bernhardt
From: Dirk Bernhardt @ 1997-03-10 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

is there still a digested version of the ding mailing list? The address
mentioned in the FAQ `ding-rn-digests-request@bluesky.net' seems to be
invalid.

Please mail me, as I unsubscribe from the undigested list in this very
moment -- thank you!

Ciao,
        - Krid -
--
ungeduscht, geduzt und ausgebuht

* Re: digest of ding-list?
@ 1997-03-11  0:06 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1997-03-11  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dirk Bernhardt <krid@comnets.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> is there still a digested version of the ding mailing list? The
> address mentioned in the FAQ `ding-rn-digests-request@bluesky.net'
> seems to be invalid.

Bluesky.net, the machine that hosted the digested version, is no
longer operational because Bluesky is out of business.

Ricardo Nassif, the person who runs (ran) the digest, has said that he
is looking for another machine to host the digest.

Dirk: Since you are no longer on the ding-list, I will send you mail
when there is an operational digest.

-Justin

* Mangling my email to avoid spammers.
@ 1997-03-17 21:52   ` C. R. Oldham
From: C. R. Oldham @ 1997-03-17 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I've been part of Usenet for a long time--going on 10 years now.  It pains
me to see spammers sucking the life out of it by trolling for addresses
and then sending UCE.  I had five UCE messages in my inbox this morning
and can only expect it to grow.

Thus I have resolved to mangle my email address when I post to Usenet.
However, this is proving to be more difficult than I thought with Gnus.

I want my real email address to appear nowhere in any article I submit to
Usenet.  I've figured out how to do this for the From: header using a
defadvice (with a clue from an article posted to the ding list), but the
Sender field still persists.  Lars, I know you don't like this, but when
I'm traveling I pay for my connect time and I don't want to give the
spammers more of a foothold than I already have.

The code I'm using to disguise my user-mail-address is below:

(defadvice message-user-mail-address
  (before generate-user-mail-address activate compile)
  "Change the value of the user mail address based on the group."
  (setq user-mail-address
        (cond
         ((message-news-p) "cro@n_c_a_.asu.edu")
         (t "cro@nca.asu.edu"))))

Comments?

I originally thought I could do this by adding to a hook, but I couldn't
find the hook.  Is there one?

Now, what about my Sender field?  Do I need to worry about it?  I would
think that spammers grab every address they can get at.

If I wanted to mangle the sender field also, how would I go about it?

--
| Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham     |         NCA Commission on Schools  |
| cro@nca.asu.edu               |  Arizona St. Univ., PO Box 873011  |

* Re: Mangling my email to avoid spammers.
@ 1997-03-18  0:14     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-03-18  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"C. R. Oldham" <cro@nca.asu.edu> writes:

> I originally thought I could do this by adding to a hook, but I couldn't
> find the hook.  Is there one?

You can make a function to change the `user-mail-address' variable,
and call it from `message-setup-hook'.  Not that I approve of it, but
Gnus is (as always) giving you a possibility.

> Now, what about my Sender field?  Do I need to worry about it?  I
> would think that spammers grab every address they can get at.

I don't think so.  The practice seems to show that many of them don't
even grab the `Reply-To' header, let alone `Sender'.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia