* new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-14 15:16 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-14 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I actually like the 'b' key being so short and sweet, however, I know
at some point in the future more keys are going to be needed to deal
with mime parts...  Perhaps we should create a new mime-parts prefix
instead?

Actually, as long as I'm at it, besides:
  2 b

Shouldn't things like:

  2 |
  2 o
  2 S o m

Work as well?  Wouldn't it be really cool if all the commands took the
prefix to mean operate on that mime part?

(This, however, probably clashes with most commands now taking the
next X articles huh?  sigh...)

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-14 16:22 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-10-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I actually like the 'b' key being so short and sweet, however, I
> know at some point in the future more keys are going to be needed to
> deal with mime parts...  Perhaps we should create a new mime-parts
> prefix instead?

Yup.  This is what crossed my mind a few hours ago, but I mailed it to
gnus@ding.org instead the other way around:

    I really hate switching to Article buffer and doing stuff there.
    How about a Summary command that accepts prefix argument like `b',
    and then just redirects to the attachment-specific command.

    E.g. `1 W M B o' -> save attachment no. 1
	 `3 W M B c' -> view attachment no. 3 in buffer
    etc.

    Also, we could shorten `W M B' to something decent much like `W M b'
    was shortened to `b'.

    All of this should be trivial to code, and yet really, *really*
    useful!

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-17 20:57   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-17 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

>     E.g. `1 W M B o' -> save attachment no. 1
> 	 `3 W M B c' -> view attachment no. 3 in buffer
>     etc.
>
>     Also, we could shorten `W M B' to something decent much like `W M b'
>     was shortened to `b'.

Yes, this would be very nice to have.  I think the only free upper
case letter we have left is `K'.  Is that OK, or should we put this
prefix somewhere else?  Ideas are welcome.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-18 12:58     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-10-18 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
>
> >     E.g. `1 W M B o' -> save attachment no. 1
> > 	 `3 W M B c' -> view attachment no. 3 in buffer
> >     etc.
> >
> >     Also, we could shorten `W M B' to something decent much like
> >     `W M b' was shortened to `b'.
>
> Yes, this would be very nice to have.  I think the only free upper
> case letter we have left is `K'.  Is that OK, or should we put this
> prefix somewhere else?  Ideas are welcome.

K would be fine for typing, but it's not logical or easy to remember.
Perhaps we should use M-<something>.  M-m strikes me as free, `m'
being short for MIME.  :-)

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
The meta-Turing test counts a thing as intelligent if it seeks to
devise and apply Turing tests to objects of its own creation.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-18 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> K would be fine for typing, but it's not logical or easy to remember.
> Perhaps we should use M-<something>.  M-m strikes me as free, `m'
> being short for MIME.  :-)

`M-m' is definitely a possibility.  We don't have to limit ourselves
to alphabetical keys, though.  We could put this on, er, backtick or
tilde or plus or something.  Although I can't, at the moment, think of
anything that looks even semi-mnemonic in that area...

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-18 17:26         ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-10-18 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> `M-m' is definitely a possibility.  We don't have to limit ourselves
> to alphabetical keys, though.  We could put this on, er, backtick or
> tilde or plus or something.  Although I can't, at the moment, think
> of anything that looks even semi-mnemonic in that area...

Backtick sounds like a nice idea ergonomically (requires no modifiers,
even shift, on american keyboard), which is important because that
command might be used often, especially with numeric prefix and
command postfix (`3 ` o' to save the file and such.)

Perhaps in this case ergonomy is more important than mnemonic-ness.
The people who think otherwise can always press `W M B' or something.
:-)

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
The end of the world is coming...  SAVE YOUR BUFFERS!

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-18 17:57           ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-10-18 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> Backtick sounds like a nice idea ergonomically (requires no modifiers,
> even shift, on american keyboard), which is important because that
> command might be used often, especially with numeric prefix and
> command postfix (`3 ` o' to save the file and such.)
>
> Perhaps in this case ergonomy is more important than mnemonic-ness.
> The people who think otherwise can always press `W M B' or something.
> :-)

Backtick is very difficult to press on most European keyboards, among
them my Danish 102-key one.  It's a (shifted!) modifier for èìò...
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen                                           "Woo hoo!?"
.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-18 17:57           ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1998-10-18 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> > `M-m' is definitely a possibility.  We don't have to limit ourselves
> > to alphabetical keys, though.  We could put this on, er, backtick or
> > tilde or plus or something.  Although I can't, at the moment, think
> > of anything that looks even semi-mnemonic in that area...
>
> Backtick sounds like a nice idea ergonomically (requires no modifiers,
> even shift, on american keyboard), which is important because that
> command might be used often, especially with numeric prefix and
> command postfix (`3 ` o' to save the file and such.)

Please keep keystrokes alphanumerical.

I frequently use three types of keyboards; American keyboards, Swedish
PC keyboards, and Swedish Sun keyboards. Backticks is generated with
`, S-´ and M-' respectively.

Most non-alphanumerical keys aren't this bad (some¹ are even worse,
being silent keys depending on what X server and/or terminal emulator
used) but most have at least two different ways of being typed, and
remembering a alphanumerical key is imho easier, unless it's a
well-known symbol (`|' for piping etc).

/s

[1] Tilde, for example.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-18 18:12             ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-10-18 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Balker Rasmussen <lbr@image.dk> writes:

> Backtick is very difficult to press on most European keyboards,
> among them my Danish 102-key one.  It's a (shifted!) modifier for
> čěň...

It's easy for you to bind the key to something else, then.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Try to use "ad nauseam" at least once per flame. It doesn't mean
anything; but it gives that polished feel to your postings.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-18 18:52               ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-10-18 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> It's easy for you to bind the key to something else, then.

I don't think that's an acceptable requirement for using a newsreader...
--

@ 1998-10-18 19:22                 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-10-18 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Balker Rasmussen <lbr@image.dk> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> > It's easy for you to bind the key to something else, then.
>
> I don't think that's an acceptable requirement for using a
> newsreader...

?

What requirement?

--

@ 1998-10-18 22:06                   ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-10-18 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> What requirement?

I'm sorry.  It's completely unreasonable of me to want people, who
wander through life completely unaware of the ability to remap keys
under Windows, to eventually use Gnus for their news- and email-
purposes.  We should stay completely Unix-/US-keyboard centric for the
good of man.
--

@ 1998-10-18 22:11                     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-10-18 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Balker Rasmussen <lbr@image.dk> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> > What requirement?
>
> I'm sorry.  It's completely unreasonable of me to want people, who
> wander through life completely unaware of the ability to remap keys
> under Windows, to eventually use Gnus for their news- and email-
> purposes.

I can hardly imagine an Emacs user not knowing how to rebind a key.

> We should stay completely Unix-/US-keyboard centric for the good of
> man.

Either your irony is missing the target, or I'm having a blond moment.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Manic depression is cool...  your body can make its own drugs.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-18 22:21                     ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 1998-10-18 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

L> I'm sorry.  It's completely unreasonable of me to want people, who
L> wander through life completely unaware of the ability to remap keys
L> under Windows

I think the point was that you could rebind the function to some other
key within Emacs, which is much easier than remaping Windows keys....

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - By consent of the corrupted
What I want is all of the power and none of the responsibility.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-18 22:30               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-18 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> It's easy for you to bind the key to something else, then.

I think the default keymaps should be as useful as possible for as
many people as possible.  Backtick (while very handy on US keyboards),
is often totally inaccessible on European keyboards.  (Depending on
which make and what country.)

Let's see...  Semicolon and colon aren't taken, and are readily
available on US and Norwegian keyboards, at least...

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-18 23:17                 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-10-18 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Let's see...  Semicolon and colon aren't taken, and are readily
> available on US and Norwegian keyboards, at least...

I vote for semicolon.  Easier to access on an American keyboard.  :-)

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Idle RAM is the Devil's playground.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-19  3:43                   ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1998-10-19  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

HN> I vote for semicolon.  Easier to access on an American keyboard.  :-)

Colon and semicolon are bound in bbdb-gnus.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-19  7:32                     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-10-19  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

HN> I vote for semicolon.  Easier to access on an American keyboard.  :-)

> Colon and semicolon are bound in bbdb-gnus.

Yup! I vote against! Colon for me means "access the sender's BBDB
record".

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-19  8:41                       ` Jean-Yves Perrier
From: Jean-Yves Perrier @ 1998-10-19  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

    HN> I vote for semicolon.  Easier to access on an American keyboard.  :-)

    >> Colon and semicolon are bound in bbdb-gnus.

    SB> Yup! I vote against! Colon for me means "access the sender's BBDB
    SB> record".

I vote against too. I propose _ or $ which should be of easy access on every
keyboard and aren't more cryptic than : or ;

--
Jean-Yves

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-19 14:29                 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-10-19 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

> Let's see...  Semicolon and colon aren't taken, and are readily
> available on US and Norwegian keyboards, at least...

You are obviously not a BBDB user.

They are taken by `bbdb-gnus-edit-notes' and `bbdb/gnus-show-sender'
(respectively).  In fact, they are the only `gnus-summary-mode-map'
keys that BBDB uses.

A pretty large set of Gnus users are also BBDB users, and we would be
very unhappy if those keys were blown away.

--
Colin

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-19 19:15                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-19 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:

> A pretty large set of Gnus users are also BBDB users, and we would be
> very unhappy if those keys were blown away.

I don't want to inconvenience bbdb users, if that can be avoided, and
in this case it can.

The commands will typically be

`2 x o'

to save part 2.  The `x' key should be something that is convenient
for that.  Perhaps `$' is a possibility?  `2$o' isn't too bad...
`2Ko' isn't any worse, though.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-19 19:16                         ` Oliver Jung
                                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Oliver Jung @ 1998-10-19 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jean-Yves Perrier <perrier@nagra-kudelski.ch> writes:

> I vote against too. I propose _ or $ which should be of easy access on every
> keyboard and aren't more cryptic than : or ;

_ is very good to access on German keyboards while $ isn´t
that good.
So I vote for _.

Another idea: Wouldn´t it be a goad advice to set a reply-to-header
in postings in the mailing-list ?
--
Oliver Jung oj@badboy.ruhr.de
 "Where did they teach you to talk like this ?"

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-19 19:46     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-10-19 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Yes, this would be very nice to have.  I think the only free upper
  > case letter we have left is `K'.

What's wrong with a lowercase letter?  `y' comes to mind.

kai
--
In Turkey, we played well and lost.  In Moldavia, we played badly and won.
This raises the question: which is better?  (Oliver Kahn, German soccer team)

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-19 19:47         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-10-19 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > `M-m' is definitely a possibility.  We don't have to limit
  > ourselves to alphabetical keys, though.  We could put this on, er,
  > backtick or tilde or plus or something.  Although I can't, at the
  > moment, think of anything that looks even semi-mnemonic in that
  > area...

There are pointily-clickety computing environments (ahem) where one is
displayed a tree-like structure, and hitting `+' means expand a
branch.  There's even a precedent in Emacs: speedbar.

kai
--

@ 1998-10-19 19:50                 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-10-19 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Let's see...  Semicolon and colon aren't taken, and are readily
  > available on US and Norwegian keyboards, at least...

BBDB uses `:' and `;'.  It provides functionality not (yet?) included
in Gnus, so one should cater to that.

kai

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-19 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> What's wrong with a lowercase letter?  `y' comes to mind.

There are no other keymaps on lower-case letters.  I think I'd like to
keep it that way, but, like.  `+' is also a possibility, but it
wanders around quite a bit on various keyboards...

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-19 21:22                     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-19 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> The `x' key should be something that is convenient for that.
Lars> Perhaps `$' is a possibility?  `2$o' isn't too bad...  `2Ko'
Lars> isn't any worse, though.

The $ sign is another "frequently not available on non-US keyboards" thing...

--

@ 1998-10-20  3:05                           ` Chris Tessone
From: Chris Tessone @ 1998-10-20  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jean-Yves Perrier, ding

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 651 bytes --]

    Oliver> _ is very good to access on German keyboards while $
    Oliver> isn´t that good.  So I vote for _.

Oh please don't do this. _ is horrible, as is $. Make it on the main
keyboard, please.

    Oliver> Another idea: Wouldn't it be a goad advice to set a
    Oliver> reply-to-header in postings in the mailing-list ?

Yeah, but S W (or S w) works just as well.

Chris

--
Chris Tessone         tessone@fnal.gov         tessone@imsa.edu
PH/sendmail SNPC        System Administration        Perl/Shell

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-20  3:21                           ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1998-10-20  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

OJ> Another idea: Wouldn't it be a goad advice to set a reply-to-header in
OJ> postings in the mailing-list ?

Umm, no.  There is a reason the setting is called 'broken-reply-to', after
all.  If you want the behavior, choose it yourself with the 'to-list'
parameter.  You have Gnus, after all.

 - J<

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-20  4:03                             ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 1998-10-20  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

By the way, the following patch may fix the problem. :-)

--- pgnus-0.35/lisp/gnus.el~	Tue Oct 20 07:27:07 1998
+++ pgnus-0.35/lisp/gnus.el	Tue Oct 20 12:32:03 1998
@@ -1996,19 +1996,26 @@
 	    minor (string-to-number (match-string 2 number))
 	    least (if (match-beginning 3)
 		      (string-to-number (match-string 3 number))
-		    0))
-      (string-to-number
-       (if (zerop major)
-	   (format "%s00%02d%02d"
-		   (if (member alpha '("(ding)" "d"))
-		       "4.99"
-		     (+ 5 (* 0.02
-			     (abs
-			      (- (mm-char-int (aref (downcase alpha) 0))
-				 (mm-char-int ?t))))
-			-0.01))
-		   minor least)
-	 (format "%d.%02d%02d" major minor least))))))
+		    0)
+	    number
+	    (if (zerop major)
+		(format "%s00%02d%02d"
+			(if (member alpha '("(ding)" "d"))
+			    "4.99"
+			  (setq str (number-to-string
+				     (+ 500 (* 2
+					       (abs
+						(- (char-int
+						    (aref (downcase alpha) 0))
+						   (char-int ?t))))
+					-1)))
+			  (concat (substring str 0 (- (length str) 2)) "."
+				  (substring str (- (length str) 2))))
+			minor least)
+	      (format "%d.%02d%02d" major minor least)))
+      (if (string-match "0+$" number)
+	  (substring number 0 (match-beginning 0))
+	number))))

 (defun gnus-info-find-node ()
   "Find Info documentation of Gnus."
--- pgnus-0.35/lisp/gnus-msg.el~	Tue Oct 20 07:27:05 1998
+++ pgnus-0.35/lisp/gnus-msg.el	Tue Oct 20 12:29:20 1998
@@ -544,7 +544,7 @@
   "Stringified Gnus version and Emacs version."
   (interactive)
   (concat
-   "Gnus/" (prin1-to-string (gnus-continuum-version gnus-version) t)
+   "Gnus/" (gnus-continuum-version gnus-version)
    " (" gnus-version ")"
    " "
    (cond
--- pgnus-0.35/lisp/gnus-start.el~	Thu Sep 24 09:33:05 1998
+++ pgnus-0.35/lisp/gnus-start.el	Tue Oct 20 12:30:53 1998
@@ -1893,7 +1893,8 @@
      ;; No .newsrc.eld file was loaded.
      ((null fcv) nil)
      ;; Gnus 5 .newsrc.eld was loaded.
-     ((< fcv (gnus-continuum-version "September Gnus v0.1"))
+     ((< (string-to-number fcv)
+	 (string-to-number (gnus-continuum-version "September Gnus v0.1")))
       (gnus-convert-old-ticks)))))

 (defun gnus-convert-old-ticks ()
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-20  8:35                       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-10-20  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lars> The `x' key should be something that is convenient for that.
> Lars> Perhaps `$' is a possibility?  `2$o' isn't too bad...  `2Ko'
> Lars> isn't any worse, though.
>
> The $ sign is another "frequently not available on non-US keyboards"
> thing...

Like, on what keyboards?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-20  8:36                               ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-10-20  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>    (concat
> -   "Gnus/" (prin1-to-string (gnus-continuum-version gnus-version) t)
> +   "Gnus/" (gnus-continuum-version gnus-version)

*NEVER* assume that concat can handle numbers.  In the latest XEmacs,
it can't.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Don't hit a man when he's down -- kick him; it's easier.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-20  8:46                                 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 1998-10-20  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>    (concat
>> -   "Gnus/" (prin1-to-string (gnus-continuum-version gnus-version) t)
>> +   "Gnus/" (gnus-continuum-version gnus-version)

Hrv> *NEVER* assume that concat can handle numbers.  In the latest XEmacs,
Hrv> it can't.

Nope.
The patch makes the result of `gnus-continuum-version' as a string.
--

@ 1998-10-20  8:47                         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-10-20  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> The `x' key should be something that is convenient for that.
Lars> Perhaps `$' is a possibility?  `2$o' isn't too bad...  `2Ko'
Lars> isn't any worse, though.

>> The $ sign is another "frequently not available on non-US keyboards"
>> thing...

> Like, on what keyboards?

Well, it is *available* on Norwegian keyboards (the old "AT-layout",
which seems to be used by more or less everybody today).  But it hurt
my hands to get at it, as it does with @£{[]} (Ouch! That huit!).

I've long since decided that the people who made that layout had it in
for C-programmers, and that they later on could target the perl and
C++ programmers, was just an added bonus.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-20 10:11                             ` Jari Aalto+list.ding
From: Jari Aalto+list.ding @ 1998-10-20 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

| 1998-10-19 Chris Tessone <tessone@imsa.edu> list.ding
|
|     Oliver> _ is very good to access on German keyboards while $
|     Oliver> isn't that good.  So I vote for _.
|
| Oh please don't do this. _ is horrible, as is $. Make it on the main
| keyboard, please.

Howabout

    * ' -

Personally I'd vote for ~, but anything is better than having more on the
uppercase bindings which I find very uncomfortable decision in Gnus. Lowercase
letters would have been more ergonomic (you could use both hands for
lowercase bindings: now we need pinky!ouch! or reserve other hand for shift.)

jari

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-20 14:42                           ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-10-20 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Jung <oj@badboy.ruhr.de> writes:

> Another idea: Wouldn´t it be a goad advice to set a reply-to-header
> in postings in the mailing-list ?

It would certainly be a goad to me.

-Justin

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-10-20 17:50                                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-20 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> The patch makes the result of `gnus-continuum-version' as a string.

That's not good -- the functions only real function is to return a
number that can be compared to see whether some Gnus version is newer
than some other Gnus version.  Returning a string is not a good idea.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-11-19  0:53     ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1998-11-19  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >     Also, we could shorten `W M B' to something decent much like `W M b'
> >     was shortened to `b'.

> Yes, this would be very nice to have.  I think the only free upper
> case letter we have left is `K'.  Is that OK, or should we put this
> prefix somewhere else?  Ideas are welcome.

Just an idea.  The `;' command could take its prefix argument and use
it to select a MIME part for the next command.  So, `3;b' would disblay
third part.  Considering the hierarchical structure of a MIME message,
these could be nested, and `3;2;b' could be use to disblay part 3.2.

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-11-19  5:54       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-19  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> Just an idea.  The `;' command could take its prefix argument and use
> it to select a MIME part for the next command.  So, `3;b' would disblay
> third part.  Considering the hierarchical structure of a MIME message,
> these could be nested, and `3;2;b' could be use to disblay part 3.2.

The parts are numbered non-hierarchally now, so you just say `3 b' to
view part 3.

I don't think `;' is a good key for heavy usage, though, since it's
already taken by BBDB (I think it was) and it moves around a lot on
different keyboards.

* Re: new prefix needed for disblay?
@ 1998-11-19 17:04         ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-11-19 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

> I don't think `;' is a good key for heavy usage, though, since it's
> already taken by BBDB (I think it was) ....

You are correct.  `;' and `:' have both been part of BBDB since the
days of GNUS.

--
Colin