* archive to nnml group?
@ 2001-12-03 22:20 Andras BALI
From: Andras BALI @ 2001-12-03 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm having problems with customizing the parameters of my nnml archive
group. I have the following lines in my config:

(setq gnus-message-archive-method
    '(nnml "archive"
       (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive/")
       (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/.active")
       (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
       (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))
(setq gnus-message-archive-group "outbox")

But when I'm Gcc-ing to nnml+archive:outbox, ~/Mail/outbox is created,
and its active file is saved as ~/Mail/active. I can enter the group,
"G e" says it's (nnml "archive") so everything's fine, but not the
directory of the group. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

--
BALI, Andra's                                  GPG keyID: 78560E1C
drewie@bigfoot.com     bali@debian.org     andras.bali@stud.bke.hu

* Re: archive to nnml group?
@ 2001-12-03 22:33 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-12-03 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Andras BALI <drewie@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> (setq gnus-message-archive-method
>     '(nnml "archive"
>        (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive/")
>        (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/.active")
>        (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
>        (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group "outbox")

You'll probably have fewer headaches if you use a group on your normal
nnml server for archiving.  There's nothing special about archiving
that demands a separate server.  Try removing the setting for
gnus-message-archive-method, and do:
(setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:outbox")

BTW, this probably belongs on gnu.emacs.gnus.

> But when I'm Gcc-ing to nnml+archive:outbox, ~/Mail/outbox is created,
> and its active file is saved as ~/Mail/active. I can enter the group,
> "G e" says it's (nnml "archive") so everything's fine, but not the
> directory of the group. What am I doing wrong?

Do you have another definition of a (nnml "archive") select method?
What does your *Server* buffer look like?

paul

* Re: archive to nnml group?
@ 2001-12-03 23:36   ` Andras BALI
From: Andras BALI @ 2001-12-03 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 03 Dec 2001, Paul Jarc wrote:

> You'll probably have fewer headaches if you use a group on your
> normal nnml server for archiving.  There's nothing special about
> archiving that demands a separate server.

Except that I'd like to put archived messages under ~/Mail/archived/
and other mail under ~/Mail/mail.

>> But when I'm Gcc-ing to nnml+archive:outbox, ~/Mail/outbox is
>> created, and its active file is saved as ~/Mail/active. I can enter
>> the group, "G e" says it's (nnml "archive") so everything's fine,
>> but not the directory of the group. What am I doing wrong?

> Do you have another definition of a (nnml "archive") select method?

No.

> What does your *Server* buffer look like?

Hm. I somehow managed to get it partly working (although I didn't
change a bit on the configuration I posted before) - the directory and
the active file is now created in the right place. But now (it hadn't
occured before!) the new group (nnml+archive:outbox) doesn't show up
in gnus.

Moreover, if I start gnus, the nnml "archive" server is not included
in the Server buffer, but an nnfolder "archive" server is there
(although my configuration doesn't contain anything about this
nnfolder thing, and it seems to be configured with default values as
well). But after I had posted some mail and they had been Gcc-d to
nnml+archive:outbox, the nnml "archive" server does show up in the
Server buffer, although Gnus says that it's an ,,ephemeral'' (or
sg. like this) group, which I have no idea what should mean. But
indeed, if I restart gnus, the nnml "archive" server doesn't show up
again among the servers till I post a new message.

I'm getting confused. :-) Is it such a bad idea to use the nnml
backend for archiving messages? :) Nnfolder worked fine.

Thanks,

--

@ 2001-12-04  9:09 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-04  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Andras BALI <drewie@bigfoot.com> writes:

> But when I'm Gcc-ing to nnml+archive:outbox, ~/Mail/outbox is created,
> and its active file is saved as ~/Mail/active. I can enter the group,
> "G e" says it's (nnml "archive") so everything's fine, but not the
> directory of the group. What am I doing wrong?

It must not be (nnml "archive").  Does it work to manually do `G e'
on it and replace (nnml "archive") with "nnml:archive"?  (Including
the parens and quotes.)

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: archive to nnml group?
@ 2001-12-31  2:44     ` Károly Lőrentey
From: Károly Lőrentey @ 2001-12-31  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andras BALI <drewie@bigfoot.com> writes:
> Moreover, if I start gnus, the nnml "archive" server is not included
> in the Server buffer, but an nnfolder "archive" server is there
> (although my configuration doesn't contain anything about this
> nnfolder thing, and it seems to be configured with default values as
> well).

The function gnus-setup-news in gnus-art.el creates that server
explicitly when gnus-message-archive-method is set.  I noticed this
when I wanted to put my mail archive in a separate directory (also,
btw, using an nnml archive server).  This extra, unneeded archive
server messed up my mail directory.

Is there a clean way to prevent Gnus from creating this server?

--
Károly Lőrentey