* Weird behaviours of message-insert-mime-part.
@ 1998-11-30  4:51 Lloyd Zusman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1998-11-30  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using `pgnus-0.56' under XEmacs 20.4.

I have some questions about some weird behaviors of the
`message-insert-mime-part' function (`C-a').

I used this function to insert a few images into an email message
to myself.  When I received the message, XEmacs ignored the first
image and instead, displayed the `

...' tag without the leading
`<' or `#'.  In other words, there was a single line in the buffer
consisting of this against the left margin:

   part type=image/jpeg filename="foobar.jpg" description="Foobar">

When composing the message initially, both `

...' tags showed
up fine, with no leading characters deleted.  It appears that the
corruption of this tag occurred during the MIME encoding of the
images immediately prior to the message being sent out.

Following this corrupted `

...' tag in the received message, the
second image displayed fine.  However, this second image was displayed
inline (i.e., within the article buffer) without any buttons on top of
it, even though it was longer than the article buffer.  This is fine
with me, but the fact that this longer-than-buffer image was
automatically displayed inline seems to be contrary to what we have
been discussing in another current thread.

I'm wondering why there were no buttons displayed in the received
message when I created the message with `C-a'.  Also, I'm wondering
about the automatic inline display, even though the image is
longer-than-buffer.

And, of course, I'm concerned about the `<' and the `#' being removed
from the first `

...' tag that was inserted.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Weird behaviours of message-insert-mime-part.
@ 1998-11-30  5:00 ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1998-11-30  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> I'm using `pgnus-0.56' under XEmacs 20.4.
>
> I have some questions about some weird behaviors of the
> `message-insert-mime-part' function (`C-a').
>
> [ ... ]

OOPS ... I should have not used explicit `part' tag syntax that
message, because pgnus tried to interpret it upon sending it out.  In
that message, anywhere you see a backtick at the end of a line
followed by three dots and a forward single-quote on the next line
immediate following, assume that what I was really writing is this:

  `<[X][thing] ...>'

where [X] is the hash character (`#') and [thing] is the word
`part'.

Sorry 'bout that.

--

@ 1998-11-30 13:31 ` Mike McEwan
From: Mike McEwan @ 1998-11-30 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> I'm using `pgnus-0.56' under XEmacs 20.4.
>
> I have some questions about some weird behaviors of the
> `message-insert-mime-part' function (`C-a').
>
> I used this function to insert a few images into an email message
> to myself.  When I received the message, XEmacs ignored the first
> image and instead, displayed the `
> ...' tag without the leading
> `<' or `#'.  In other words, there was a single line in the buffer
> consisting of this against the left margin:
>
>    part type=image/jpeg filename="foobar.jpg" description="Foobar">

  I'm seeing this as well. I don't think I can successfully encode
anything since 0.56. I'll give edebug a go.

--
Mike.

* Re: Weird behaviours of message-insert-mime-part.
@ 1998-11-30 14:33 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-30 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> I have some questions about some weird behaviors of the
> `message-insert-mime-part' function (`C-a').

Yup.  Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.57.

* Re: Weird behaviours of message-insert-mime-part.
@ 1998-11-30 15:01   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1998-11-30 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
> > I have some questions about some weird behaviors of the
> > `message-insert-mime-part' function (`C-a').
>
> Yup.  Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.57.

Thanks!!!

Sincerely,

- Lloyd