* gnus-setup not being required?
@ 1996-11-19 17:43 Sean Lynch
From: Sean Lynch @ 1996-11-19 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

It doesn't look like gnus-setup is being required anywhere.  Am I
supposed to require this myself in .gnus.el?

I noticed this because when I stopped manually setting
message-cite-function, it was being set to message-cite-original, even
though from gnus-setup.el, which I assumed was being loaded, it
definitely should have been set to sc-cite-original.

I'm sure I'm just missing something here.  Someone hand me a clue.

Sean Lynch,  Internex Network Operations                 <noc@internex.net>
Voice: +1 408 327 2200  Fax: +1 408 496 5484  <URL:http://www.internex.net>
Technical support: <support@internex.net> <URL:http://support.internex.net>

* Re: gnus-setup not being required?
@ 1996-11-19 18:26 ` David Moore
From: David Moore @ 1996-11-19 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean Lynch <seanl@Internex.NET> writes:

> It doesn't look like gnus-setup is being required anywhere.  Am I
> supposed to require this myself in .gnus.el?
>
> I noticed this because when I stopped manually setting
> message-cite-function, it was being set to message-cite-original, even
> though from gnus-setup.el, which I assumed was being loaded, it
> definitely should have been set to sc-cite-original.
>
> I'm sure I'm just missing something here.  Someone hand me a clue.

	I think you want to load gnus-setup in your .emacs file long
before you start/load gnus.

	On the other hand, I don't know the real answer either, but I
put the following in my .emacs init file.  The clearing is useful to
make sure you don't call anything which might hit old autoloads (in
particular into gnus-scomo.el caused by gnus-bbdb) which can cause old
broken 5.2 code to override new working rgnus code.  Anyways, the
clearing code is optional. :) But if you use it, do it before you load
the current gnus.

;;; Ok, lets clear out all of the normal xemacs gnus autoloads, and then
;;; load gnus-setup.el.  So that rgnus has a clean start environment.
(mapc (lambda (x) (fmakunbound (intern x)))
      (all-completions "" obarray
		       (lambda (sym)
			 (and (fboundp sym)
			      (eq (car-safe (symbol-function sym)) 'autoload)
			      (let ((file (cadr (symbol-function sym))))
				(string-match
				 (mapconcat 'identity
					    '("^gnus-"
					      "^gnus$"
					      "^message$"
					      "^nnfolder$"
					      "^nnkiboze$"
					      "^nnml$"
					      "^nnsoup$"
					      "^smiley$"
					      )
					    "\\|")
				 file))))))

(setq gnus-use-tm nil)
(setq gnus-use-sc nil)
(setq gnus-use-mailcrypt nil)
(require 'gnus-setup)

--
David Moore <dmoore@ucsd.edu>       | Computer Systems Lab      __o
UCSD Dept. Computer Science - 0114  | Work: (619) 534-8604    _ \<,_

* Re: gnus-setup not being required?
@ 1996-11-19 18:54 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-11-19 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sean> It doesn't look like gnus-setup is being required anywhere.  Am
Sean> I supposed to require this myself in .gnus.el?

It is too late to load it in .gnus.el.  It is intended to be loaded in
.emacs or default.el with site-wide policy (and it's one of those
files that should be explicitly loaded as a .el, and not bytecompiled).

Sean> I noticed this because when I stopped manually setting
Sean> message-cite-function, it was being set to
Sean> message-cite-original, even though from gnus-setup.el, which I
Sean> assumed was being loaded, it definitely should have been set to
Sean> sc-cite-original.

Sean> I'm sure I'm just missing something here.  Someone hand me a clue.

Gnus-setup.el is provided as a more convenient way to set up your
environment before you load Gnus.  It is especially helpful if you are
using a version of Gnus not included with your Emacs.

It's not clear whether there is any usefulness left to it.  For the
typical user, using components only in emacs, there's not much of a
point to using it.  The emacs distribution should already have things
set up properly.

Other users with more sophisticated requirements (multiple versions of
Gnus for Emacs *and* XEmacs, tm, mailcrypt, etc.) can easily take care
of themselves.  My current initialization of Gnus & company using
gnus-setup.el requires about as much setup code as is already in
gnus-setup (but I have a far from typical setup regularly using 4
different emacsen).

HTH
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: gnus-setup not being required?
@ 1996-11-19 19:26   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-11-19 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

David> ;;; Ok, lets clear out all of the normal xemacs gnus autoloads,
David> ;;; and then load gnus-setup.el.  So that rgnus has a clean
David> ;;; start environment.

I like this.  Having that code in gnus-setup would make it useful,
though it would require symbol name changes.

David> (require 'gnus-setup)